Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Jun 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #181 of 1,442
Yeah we need some Head-Fi'ers to help us poor Canucks out with a package from the US. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #182 of 1,442
Quote:
Yeah we need some Head-Fi'ers to help us poor Canucks out with a package from the US.
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Some form of group buy?
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #183 of 1,442
Quote:
Here is the counterpoint to the 500 Hz square wave plot:

Ouch.

I don't think there's much doubt about the quality of the KSC75's bass....loose and lacking depth. But despite that they still sound quite balanced overall and somehow I still like them a lot.

Honestly "loose" bass has always been a heated debate.

Here is a white paper suggesting that if bass can be fast or slow, its a matter of inductance, with lower inductance = better bass quality.
Here is an article suggesting that bass can't be fast or slow, but its perceived fast or slowness being the quality of midrange.

Personally I've never thought the Koss KSC75's bass to be "slow", but i do agree that it lacks in extension. It's not terrible though and is a pretty bassy sound compared to most audiophile headphones.

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #185 of 1,442
Quote:
I'm running my KSC75 out of my arrow 3g lol, and also my xonar dg it sounds damn good!  Unbelievable sound quality for a $15 headphone, I might even take it to the gym today

Quote:
Just got the KSC75 at OD for $5. Holy ****, these sound amazing.

Will post impressions against headphones/iems 10x - 70x more expensive

Glad you guys love the sound! 
basshead.gif

I'm looking forward to those impressions! 

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #187 of 1,442
Honestly "loose" bass has always been a heated debate.

There might be a some nuance and variety in comments or observations but there is no heated debate.

Neither of the linked articles evidences any controversy or "heat". Whatever one thinks of either linked article it is still the case that low frequency square wave plots accurately predict/describe how a headphone's bass response does actually sound.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #188 of 1,442
KSC75 vs HA-S500?
eek.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #189 of 1,442
Kramer mod, Parts Express Headband, quarter mod, Toxic Cables Scorpion wire I had laying around...PX200 pads on the way..it sounds fantastic, I might not end up getting a pricier full size for a while listening to these 
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #190 of 1,442
I also just picked up a $5 pair from Office Depot. Call me amazed - they sound very good!

They dont sound like any of the inexpensive earphones I have tried in the past - its clear to me there was thought and engineering behind these earphones. They have a neutral easy sound that seems to not highlight or neglect any part of the frequency spectrum. Mid-bass sounds a smidge boosted, but in a natural way that helps make bass drums punchier without bleeding into the mids, which is my biggest pet peeve.

They arent the most comfortable on the ear, but so far they arent painful - they just feel "weird" to me like they arent quite securely in place and centered (even though they are). I suspect I just need to spend more time with them.

I'm listening to Paul Simon - "Graceland" right now plugged into my Clip Zip. It sounds terrific - there's plenty of volume left for me (Im at the bottom of the second to last bar). It sounds clean and neutral.

Other Koss headphones I own are PortaPros, UR-55's and DJ100's (Tony Bennett Ed) and I prefer the KSC75 to all of them. I find the other Koss headphones suffer from too much bass bloat, too thick midrange, and dull treble. Not the KSC75. They are reminiscent of the Koss "house sound" but it's much closer to neutral to my ears. Bass is toned down to a natural sounding amount, mids are a smidge warm, and there's just enough treble detail for them to sound open yet they are far from being a "bright" earphone. Treble detail is warmed over (rolled off) to my ears, which keeps them from being an "audiophile" earphone, but the upside is they are forgiving of poor recordings.

Im going to go back to Office Depot and see if I can find any more of them for stocking stuffers. I cant believe I'm so excited about a $5 earphone...LOL! I will recommend these wholeheartedly to all of my "non-audiophile" friends.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #191 of 1,442
Quote:
Other Koss headphones I own are PortaPros, UR-55's and DJ100's (Tony Bennett Ed) and I prefer the KSC75 to all of them. I find the other Koss headphones suffer from too much bass bloat, too thick midrange, and dull treble. Not the KSC75. They are reminiscent of the Koss "house sound" but it's much closer to netral to my ears. Bass is toned down to a natural sounding amount, mids are a smidge warm, and there's just enough treble detail for them to sound open yet they are far from being a "bright" earphone. Treble detail is warmed over (rolled off) to my ears, which keeps them from being an "audiophile" earphone, but the upside is they are forgiving or poor recordings.

Excellent impressions.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #192 of 1,442
Palmfish- Sorry I'm on my tablet and it won't allow me to quote you, but at first I found the Ksc75's to be uncomfortable too. The trick I found is that the metal/plastic earpiece is most comfortable for me when the end of the earpiece sits against the inside of your earlobe. You might also have to bend them a little sharply at where the clips will be at the top of your ears- as some peoples ears has a sharp roll-off there (for there lack of a better description) and otherwise would create a pressure point there. It also helped me to pull the clips a bit away from the driver to make a looser fit. After its all adjusted I easily forget that they're on and frequency walk away from my computer, to get water, and get yanked. Lol xD. Thankfully they're very durable.

Additionally, don't be scared of breaking them while bending the clips into shape. The ear clip is designed to snap on and off and is essentially a thick paperclip surrounded in soft plastic. There isn't much you could do to hurt them :)

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #193 of 1,442
Palmfish- Sorry I'm on my tablet and it won't allow me to quote you, but at first I found the Ksc75's to be uncomfortable too. The trick I found is that the metal/plastic earpiece is most comfortable for me when the end of the earpiece sits against the inside of your earlobe. You might also have to bend them a little sharply at where the clips will be at the top of your ears- as some peoples ears has a sharp roll-off there (for there lack of a better description) and otherwise would create a pressure point there. It also helped me to pull the clips a bit away from the driver to make a looser fit. After its all adjusted I easily forget that they're on and frequency walk away from my computer, to get water, and get yanked. Lol xD. Thankfully they're very durable.

Additionally, don't be scared of breaking them while bending the clips into shape. The ear clip is designed to snap on and off and is essentially a thick paperclip surrounded in soft plastic. There isn't much you could do to hurt them :)

Thanks for that. I can see that a little more distance between the clip and driver is what I need. I will take your advice and bend them away a little.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #194 of 1,442
So the junction of diminishing returns in portable audio is a SanDisk Clip+ with a Koss KSC75, then it's all downhill from there?

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #195 of 1,442
So the junction of diminishing returns in portable audio is a SanDisk Clip+ with a Koss KSC75, then it's all downhill from there?

You get a much better sound with a more powerful player or with an amplifier. My iRivers drive the Koss a lot better than the Sansa Clip+, so does my portable radio.

The little Sansas seem OK driving the KSC75s with loud mixes/amplified music but if you play some acoustic or unamplified music their low power becomes very apparent and you really notice a lack of bass and that's not just the lowest frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back