Koss KSC vs Philips HP805(King of Budget cans) Exhaustive Detailed Review. READ !
Nov 9, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #16 of 114
I place the ur40's as back as i can over my ear.Not towards your face.Also keep it as down as you can.

The UR40's are very good cans.LTUCII liked them better than the HD590,i believe.

Nov 12, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 114
Ha! I'll be the new proud owner of a (barely) used SHP805 soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

And that with the HD420SL still needing foam pad replacements and the HD497 not even being here yet. Where's that gonna lead...
rolleyes.gif
*sigh*
Anyway, I'll let you guys know what I think of the Philips.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #20 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by emrecan
Not just want it.Get it know
biggrin.gif
its great comfortable phone.

I don't think these are available in the US. Anyway, the rest of the world can also use a headphone bargain...
tongue.gif

(Haven't got mine yet, should be on its way though.)

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #22 of 114
Just unpacked them. Whoa - these are €25 cans?!
blink.gif
Bass is a tad much, and the upper mids/lower treble are a tad aggressive, but...

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 114
OK, the EQ took care of the V-shaped frequency response.
Code:

Code:
[left]0 3 5 5 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 3 3 2 1 1 0 3 5 5 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 3 3 2 1 1 44 30 -2 1 1[/left]

The bass goes pretty deep, I guess these operate as semi-open cans. There is some earcup hollowness but really just a bit. Mids, highs, soundstaging - all pretty good. Sensitivity is about up to par with, say, a HD497. As expected, isolation is pretty much inexistant. Construction isn't entirely bulletproof but really good for that kind of price (only when twisting the earcups against each other in a middle size setting, suspicious clicking noises were heard, otherwise the number of moving parts has been kept low); with the relatively large slightly oval earpads (foam covered with some kind of cloth) and the soft pleather headband padding, comfort isn't bad at all either, even though my ears do get somewhat warm after a while.
Overall: A pretty amazing deal if you ask me, particularly considering what kind of junk you normally get when looking at fullsized cans in this price region. Are these better than HD201s? Quite possibly, but that would be apples and oranges.

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #24 of 114
I finally got around to do some high-level break-in today, a bit more than an hour total (at a volume high enough to give a good idea of the music in the whole room). That helped the smoothness of the highs in particular, but I think the slight hollowness has decreased as well. My EQ has slightly changed to this:
Code:

Code:
[left]0 3 5 5 3 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 2 4 5 5 5 3 0 3 5 5 3 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 2 4 5 5 5 3[/left]

And btw, I can only repeat myself: "Whoa - these are €25 cans?!"
blink.gif
Their general construction may still tell the price level, the sound most certainly does not. Give them some EQ, and they'll perform well above their price range. (The angled drivers are a nice touch, btw.)

A note on looks: In spite of using a similar silver as the HD497s, these cans actually look rather pretty. Possibly that's because of the larger size and more black elements. I could still imagine another color for the back grilles, but other than that, the design is well done.
Oh, and something else I'd forgotten: The weight is rather low, too. Not feather light à la HD590, but not far behind either. Clamping force is moderate, the available depth inside the earcups is generally sufficient but if your ears stick out they might touch something in there (I'd suggest trying different earcup positions until one finds something that's comfy).

EDIT: Oh, and it looks/sounds like bass response drops off quickly under ~40 Hz. That's plenty deep enough anyway.

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #29 of 114
Slight difference: The drivers in the HP800 had a plain copper voice coil, while in the SHP805 (those shortened prefixes are a Good Thing[tm]) it's CCAW. Still no Nd magnets, but when you can hit 40 Hz with plain ferrite I wouldn't use it either for budget drivers.
The SHP895 uses the same basic design, but from the photos Google finds for me, just about everything else is quite a bit better: Nice-looking plushy velour earpads (I wouldn't know where to order replacements though), headband padding, drivers (a full-blown 50 mm job with Nd magnets and CCAW voice coil), rear grille openness (nice metal grille), mechanics, and then it looks like it comes with a somewhat longer cable (detachable, too) and a nifty headphone stand as well. It also costs more than twice as much as the basic '805, but I have little doubt that price/performance is just as excellent.

Nov 25, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #30 of 114
sgrossklass,i opened the hp805 again today and was wondering what could be done to make these fully open.
I have currently removed the thin black foam covering the grilles and put it on top,over the headband mechanism.I was wondering what else could be done to minimise bad internal reflections and make these fully open ?
confused.gif

We need to coop over this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back