Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Aug 30, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #76 of 354
Has anyone experienced build quality issues? I have had 2 sets of KPH30i - both desk use only. The first snapped at the headband after 3 months and the second went dead in the right driver after one month. I cannibalised the unbroken headband to repair the set with both drivers working. I love the sound but longevity seems to be a serious issue. Not so cheap if they have to be replaced every few months.

Aug 30, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #77 of 354
Has anyone experienced build quality issues? I have had 2 sets of KPH30i - both desk use only. The first snapped at the headband after 3 months and the second went dead in the right driver after one month. I cannibalised the unbroken headband to repair the set with both drivers working. I love the sound but longevity seems to be a serious issue. Not so cheap if they have to be replaced every few months.
I’ve had my pair about eight months now with no problem. I make a lot of calls daily with the microphone as well.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #78 of 354

I own many cheap but good sound quality headphones and i haven't have one break on me. Just be careful man. This is weird but I actually prefer cheap material because that would mean that they will be lighter on the head unlike my expensive ones with full on metal build that makes me listen to them for a short session only. Hence I love the 30i so much with Grado G pads. Make it seem like I'm wearing a full size cans but super lightweight.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #79 of 354
Recognizing that the plastic headband isn't going to be as durable or as malleable as a metal band, I take special care with all of my KPH30i's:
1. Two hands to remove them
2. Keep them out of the car or direct sunlight
3. Store them on my improvised headphone rack

Headphone rack.jpg

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #80 of 354
I own many cheap but good sound quality headphones and i haven't have one break on me. Just be careful man. This is weird but I actually prefer cheap material because that would mean that they will be lighter on the head unlike my expensive ones with full on metal build that makes me listen to them for a short session only. Hence I love the 30i so much with Grado G pads. Make it seem like I'm wearing a full size cans but super lightweight.

Did you take off the stock pads before putting on the Grado G cush?

Aug 31, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #83 of 354
How does the cable go through the Grado G pads without damaging it?

You just cut a small slit in the pad that the cable slides down into. So you do damage the pad a bit. But it's worth it!

Aug 31, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #84 of 354
You just cut a small slit in the pad that the cable slides down into. So you do damage the pad a bit. But it's worth it!
Yeah I think this is mostly what I was wondering, that if you could cut a line in the back so that the cable can slide trough without hurting the overall integrity of the pads, so I think this is it.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #85 of 354
Yeah I think this is mostly what I was wondering, that if you could cut a line in the back so that the cable can slide trough without hurting the overall integrity of the pads, so I think this is it.

You got it.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #87 of 354
If mod is that good, some step by step detailed instructions would help folks a lot. I got two pairs so, I see myself trying this mod. Detachable cable mod would also be interesting.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #88 of 354
If mod is that good, some step by step detailed instructions would help folks a lot. I got two pairs so, I see myself trying this mod. Detachable cable mod would also be interesting.

The detachable cable mod would definitely be cool (I don't know how to do that).

But here are the steps for putting on the G pads (might be the easiest mod known to man lol):

(1) Take off existing pads. The foam is held in place by little hooks all around, so you have to gently get the foam off of the hooks, and then it comes right off. Or you can just rip them off lol.

(2) Cut slits in the G pads (see photo). The slit only needs to go down that first part (ie 1.5 cm). And try to cut them straighter than me!

(3) Slide the driver into the G pad, with the slit positioned where the cable is.

Done!
20200831_183546_resized.jpg

20200831_184929_resized.jpg

Edit: the dog hairs are optional (see my avatar).

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #89 of 354
Is it okay to keep the foam off? It does sound good without it along with the Grado pads. But I'm worried that dusts might get into the drivers.

The way everyone's done it is by taking off the original foams. I personally wouldn't worry about the dust factor (although I suppose it could be a problem depending on the environment).

Did you take off the stock pads before putting on the Grado G cush?

Yup.

Do I want the cheapest G pads available or are some better than others?

Good question. All I know is that I went with what @ilmothedude suggested. They sounds great, are super-comfy and super-goofy looking, and they are definitely inexpensive!:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253212056883?ul_noapp=true

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #90 of 354
The detachable cable mod would definitely be cool (I don't know how to do that).

But here are the steps for putting on the G pads (might be the easiest mod known to man lol):

(1) Take off existing pads. The foam is held in place by little hooks all around, so you have to gently get the foam off of the hooks, and then it comes right off. Or you can just rip them off lol.

(2) Cut slits in the G pads (see photo). The slit only needs to go down that first part (ie 1.5 cm). And try to cut them straighter than me!

(3) Slide the driver into the G pad, with the slit positioned where the cable is.

Done!
20200831_183546_resized.jpg
20200831_184929_resized.jpg

Edit: the dog hairs are optional (see my avatar).

Cool. Ordered those pads from your link.
Anyone tried different head strap or Dekoni Nuggets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back