Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #61 of 354
Hey guys I know this isn't exactly rocket science or anything but I remember the first time I did pad swaps on my KPH30i I didn't really have any info on where the tabs were or how exactly to pull apart the cups/driver etc. Figured this thread was as good a thread as any to post a little no-brainer/beginner's guide to earpad replacement I made for these fantastic headphones.

A visual guide to replacing Koss KPH30i earpads

Great info - thanks for posting it!

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #62 of 354
I just picked up a pair of these on a whim (not sure why I didn't earlier at this price) and was impressed, almost irritatingly so TBH. Sounded really good. Then early last night I dug out my old C&C BK which has mostly been languishing - I used it on several IEMs for years but not as much the past 2 years or so with other equipment. It's battery is *still* strong, amazingly and it just keeps ticking.
Anyhow the synergy between it's "high" gain setting (no soundfield boost, no bass boost) (source last night was 50/50 LG G8 Qobuz and Qobuz on my laptop via a cheap little AuxLink hi-res USB-C dongle) is uncanny. It sounded really good on everything else I fed it, but when I connected it to the C&C ..... well I have barely taken them off and stayed up FAR too late as a result (and they're back on my head right now since waking). It's phenomenal - the tell-tale sign is me just sitting around playing track after track that I know as well as just letting tracks advance without paying attention. Hip-hop, acoustic, orchestrated... I've not found a track with this combo I'm not loving. Thick, warm, bright, detailed, textured. I'm just astounded. It's ridiculous and I'm considering letting a couple other cans go as a result. Ridiculous.
20200728_102131_HDR.jpg

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #63 of 354
I just picked up a pair of these on a whim (not sure why I didn't earlier at this price) and was impressed, almost irritatingly so TBH. Sounded really good. Then early last night I dug out my old C&C BK which has mostly been languishing - I used it on several IEMs for years but not as much the past 2 years or so with other equipment. It's battery is *still* strong, amazingly and it just keeps ticking.
Anyhow the synergy between it's "high" gain setting (no soundfield boost, no bass boost) (source last night was 50/50 LG G8 Qobuz and Qobuz on my laptop via a cheap little AuxLink hi-res USB-C dongle) is uncanny. It sounded really good on everything else I fed it, but when I connected it to the C&C ..... well I have barely taken them off and stayed up FAR too late as a result (and they're back on my head right now since waking). It's phenomenal - the tell-tale sign is me just sitting around playing track after track that I know as well as just letting tracks advance without paying attention. Hip-hop, acoustic, orchestrated... I've not found a track with this combo I'm not loving. Thick, warm, bright, detailed, textured. I'm just astounded. It's ridiculous and I'm considering letting a couple other cans go as a result. Ridiculous.

Awesome! I also have the C&C BK. I love that gizmo. I used to have it paired with my Colorfly C3 (another awesome gizmo, and that was - and still is - amazing). But over the last number of years I have had the C&C BK hooked up to my TV/stereo, and it is still going strong.

And now you have me pumped to try it with the KPH30i's. All I have to do is get them off of my wife's head (she is using them for conference calling at the moment lol).

Anyway, it's great how much enjoyment you are getting out of the KPH30i's :beerchug:

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #64 of 354
Awesome! I also have the C&C BK. I love that gizmo. I used to have it paired with my Colorfly C3 (another awesome gizmo, and that was - and still is - amazing). But over the last number of years I have had the C&C BK hooked up to my TV/stereo, and it is still going strong.

And now you have me pumped to try it with the KPH30i's. All I have to do is get them off of my wife's head (she is using them for conference calling at the moment lol).
Anyway, it's great how much enjoyment you are getting out of the KPH30i's :beerchug:

I've always been a giant fan of that little thing. It spent hours upon hours upon hours feeding my Triple.Fi.10s for a good 5 years. For a long time after that it lived in my car adding some voltage juice to that stock system, then in my wife's car following that. It even made it to gig sites a few times (I used to do webcasting for a number of years) adding in-line guerilla line level and shaping if I needed it somewhere. It often will soften some phones but in the best scenarios it's almost tube-like in what it adds. Really wish he was still around making these. Some of the best (40 or so?) audio-dollars I've ever spent. Not unlike these silly Koss cans. :)

And funny you mention where yours are currently, because my KPH30i's just left the room to be used for several hours by.... my wife, on conference calls. Hahahah (and now of course I'm thinking of getting another set...)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #65 of 354
And funny you mention where yours are currently, because my KPH30i's just left the room to be used for several hours by.... my wife, on conference calls. Hahahah (and now of course I'm thinking of getting another set...)

That is funny. And when they are not on her head, they might be found on my dog's head (as per my avatar) with the comfy grado pads!

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #67 of 354
Aug 13, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #68 of 354
How are these compared to ksc75?

Both are quite different, and can serve entirely different purposes for music.

KSC75 is quite neutral and is my go-to for rock/metal. No part of the sound gets overbearing, yet it displays excellent detail and tone.
Sub-bass is lacking a bit and the only real con here.

KPH30i is warmer, less detailed. It does have excellent sub-bass extension but can get a bit muddy by comparison. It is a LOT of fun though...if you need your bass, this is your can.

It comes down to choosing between the more transparent and better-toned KSC75 or the meatier/more relaxed KPH30i.

Both are quite cheap and different enough from each other to own both, IMO.

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #71 of 354
Aug 20, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #72 of 354
I'm considering getting a pair! Only thing is...what to tell the wife? :p

I've got two pair in the house now. And just joined that drop for 2 more - one to give to my dad and one to keep around for "gift emergencies". :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back