Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Dec 29, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #48 of 354
Everyone should first burn them in before modding :-|
You're absolutely right. To my ears kph30i didn't sound too impressive out of box. Breaking in / loosening the headband clamp is also important as it improves comfort (and sound). But to me modding and experiencing is just a great fun, even if headphone didn't really need it.

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #49 of 354
Bought myself a third pair just to tinker with them. I was able to pull off the drivers from the plate that attaches to the cups with my fingers and a little force. I ordered a pair of KSC75s which i'm going to disassemble and try mounting inside of the KPH30i ear cups. Also test fitted a pair or Porta Pro drivers which were a direct swap. Will update if it works out also might perform the Kramer mod as well.

image0.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #50 of 354
Behold the KPH75i lol. The only thing I had to do was trim off the little plastic tabs that held the drivers to the ear hooks. The KSC75 drivers will drop right in.

image1.png
image0.png

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #51 of 354
Nicely done @minty1! I bet that works/sounds great!

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #52 of 354
Nicely done @minty1! I bet that works/sounds great!
We'll definitely see. I actually prefer the warmer sound of the Porta Pros & KPH30i. But maybe after they're burned in and given more time I'll enjoy them a bit more. I might as well also order another set and throw in the Porta Pro drivers as well.

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #53 of 354
I made kramer mod to my kph30i. It needed some force to remove driver from front housing part, and I used pieces of double sided tape to install driver back to housing. Treble gained a bit more sparkle and sound is more open. Very happy with my kph30i! :L3000:
IMG_20200205_232936.jpg

Apr 2, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #54 of 354
Hi! I just recently snapped my kph on the two-stems part of adjusters. These are my first open-back (or semi?) experience and really enjoy gaming with them while on discord with friends. I usually can't stand speaking while on closed-backs (and IEMs!). It felt pretty terrible that I won't be able to use them so I decided to superglue repair them. Now thinking of a pad mod like the easy G-cush on top of stock pads, (or removing stock pads?) I'd use my Yaxi Pads but I use them with my ksc75 for their portability and I don't want to stretch them out by trying them with my kph.

I wonder if the G-cush mod also improves on the kph's performance for gaming in fps environments like csgo and rainbow six siege?

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #55 of 354
Z goat me to this, I bought one used with a bit of a broken part for 15 usd.
Its not bad, I can still stick it inside the hole and it's mostly stays put.

how do you guys old time user of the Kph30i with their rubber head support and driver fixture holding up?

received_245582013291314.jpeg
sound impression so far, the bass is actually pretty impressive also imaging, it's really unexpected for the price, I don't remember my old Grado SR60e and a friend Senn PX100 this kind of imaging. soundstage is also pretty decent for an on ear.

it's staying as my on bed headphone as my Sony MA900 is a bit too big to be too comfortable for that.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #56 of 354
also, what's the usual consensus on the upgrade Yaxi pads give to these?

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #57 of 354
I can speak to the yaxi pad upgrade in my experience. Similar to the KSC75, most noticably helped bass extension and amount a little. Be careful, as it's much harder to get yaxi pads on these than the KSC75 or Porta pros. Still worth it IMO.

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #58 of 354
interesting, as I'm already pretty impressed with the bass quality these have, so it extend the reach with the Yaxi huh? Good to know.
I know it's glued for the stock pads, but do people also just glue the Yaxi when changing it?

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #59 of 354
20200712_090926_HDR.jpg
20200712_090713_HDR.jpg
yaxi pads and g cushions...absolutely love the sound...especially plugged into my lg v60 and eq'd a bit. they look good too imo. listening to different albums, i have found the recording of albums makes the most difference to the sound...some albums are recorded horribly while some sound fantastic. anyways love these more than my ksc75 with yaxi's.........slightly!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #60 of 354
Hey guys I know this isn't exactly rocket science or anything but I remember the first time I did pad swaps on my KPH30i I didn't really have any info on where the tabs were or how exactly to pull apart the cups/driver etc. Figured this thread was as good a thread as any to post a little no-brainer/beginner's guide to earpad replacement I made for these fantastic headphones.

A visual guide to replacing Koss KPH30i earpads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back