KOSS KDE-250 Owners club - The privileged few...
Jul 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #46 of 78
Quote:
How do you like them?

I been using them for the last day and a half and absolutely love them.  The sound is amazing.  I hear detail that I could never hear with my other earphones.  I am a big fan of Koss primarily because of their awesome warranty so this may be the last set of iems I will ever buy.  

I have these headphones at home Koss PortaPro, Koss Pro4AAAT, Koss KSC75, Koss UR55, Koss QZ 2000, Koss IL100k, Koss iSpark, Koss PRODJ100,  Samson SR850, Monoprice 8320, Monoprice... and I not sure when I will go back to these other headphones.

So this is definitely a good buy for me.  I may sell the other headphones.  The fit is a bit tricky but if you put the headphones in your ear and then rotate them around .. you will find an optimal placement.. then you just have to adjust the arms to adjust the height.  The height is the biggest difference on how these sound.

This guide should help.

http://www.koss.com/~/media/Files/Koss/Manuals/KDE250%20Booklet.pdf

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #47 of 78
Dont forget you can also adjust the clasp for lack of a better word and bend them inwardly so that they sort of arch inside.

Im in the same boat with you on these, these are my end all be all iem's. if you pair them with tubes or a warm amp things get even better. I even have fun pairing them with a digizoid zo2.

It doesn't turn them into bass monsters or anything but does go a long way into giving you a rounder, more full bodied sound.

Currently using them as i type this while listening to daft punk's new album, random access memories, im in heaven right now lol

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #48 of 78
Hi all,

I got a pair of these for Christmas and so far i must say i am very impressed, they sound amazing although i do find the vocals can be drowned out on some tracks so i have to use the limited EQ on the iPod Classic (my main listening device when out of the house) to lower the bass and treble and then they sound perfect for me.

However for those that own a pair i am curious as to how you decide which size arm to go for and also how to work out what height to put them at?

At the moment i have them with the medium arms and screwed quite tightly in so that the arm is quite short but i find that they start to hurt the back of my ears after a little while, so i am wanting to try and find a way to avoid that really. I do wear glasses too if that makes any difference on how to choose either of those. The actual part that goes in the ear is fine in terms of comfort and i can forget i have them on if it wasnt for the pain on the back of my ear (the side of my ear that faces my head).

Hope one of you can help

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #49 of 78
  Hi all,

I got a pair of these for Christmas and so far i must say i am very impressed, they sound amazing although i do find the vocals can be drowned out on some tracks so i have to use the limited EQ on the iPod Classic (my main listening device when out of the house) to lower the bass and treble and then they sound perfect for me.

However for those that own a pair i am curious as to how you decide which size arm to go for and also how to work out what height to put them at?

At the moment i have them with the medium arms and screwed quite tightly in so that the arm is quite short but i find that they start to hurt the back of my ears after a little while, so i am wanting to try and find a way to avoid that really. I do wear glasses too if that makes any difference on how to choose either of those. The actual part that goes in the ear is fine in terms of comfort and i can forget i have them on if it wasnt for the pain on the back of my ear (the side of my ear that faces my head).

Hope one of you can help

Just realised what i have been doing wrong.

Having tried out my Triple.Fi 10s some more the other day and noticed that i have them turned slightly in the ear so that the cable can easily go around my ear. So i tried the same with the Koss KDE250 and that felt so much more comfortable (not the cable going around the ear part but having the tilted slightly), so i adjusted the arms (went for the longer ones) and then adjusted the screw positions to get them back so they hold behind my ear but not too tightly. All i can still say is WOW, these sound amazing, so much better than the TF10s in my opinion and my TF10s have the TSX500 tips on the end too.

Before i realised the above i was turning them so they was fully turned around instead so that the ear piece was vertical rather than angled.

Once i tried them tilted, i googled Koss KDE250 in google images and noticed that everyone else had them tilted too, felt like a bit of an idiot lol, but glad i have found the correct way to wear them.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #50 of 78
Just realised what i have been doing wrong.

Having tried out my Triple.Fi 10s some more the other day and noticed that i have them turned slightly in the ear so that the cable can easily go around my ear. So i tried the same with the Koss KDE250 and that felt so much more comfortable (not the cable going around the ear part but having the tilted slightly), so i adjusted the arms (went for the longer ones) and then adjusted the screw positions to get them back so they hold behind my ear but not too tightly. All i can still say is WOW, these sound amazing, so much better than the TF10s in my opinion and my TF10s have the TSX500 tips on the end too.

Before i realised the above i was turning them so they was fully turned around instead so that the ear piece was vertical rather than angled.

Once i tried them tilted, i googled Koss KDE250 in google images and noticed that everyone else had them tilted too, felt like a bit of an idiot lol, but glad i have found the correct way to wear them.

I'm late I know but tilting them is exactly what I would have suggested lol

As far as everything else, my ears are wierd, i use the smallest hook on my right ear and tilt the earphones back while twisting the clasp I guess inwardly, on the other ear i use the medium hook, still tilt them back but I don't quite close the clasp really

Sound wise its nirvana, I can't imagine a better sounding iem unless we're talking some $900 custom job, glad you liked them, more ppl should honestly give these a listen

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #51 of 78
Greetings,
As I mentioned on the sister thread here, I just picked up a pair of brand new, in box Koss KDE250's for,  $50 on eBay.  Initial impressions:

- upon opening the box, I was struck by the very high quality feel of the entire unit - the leather case, the custom foam "wrapper" to place the headphones in prior to putting them in the case, the beautiful machining of the aluminum parts (ear hooks, screw-twisters), the subtle engraved text around the stainless ring encircling the larger driver, the fine quality of the textured plastic body offset by a single shiny black element on the larger driver - overall, it exudes a very refined feel in the hand and to the eye.

- they are a bit larger, and more complex than the pictures indicate (not a bad thing BTW) - there are two moving components to fit the ear, (1) the easily observable placement of the polished aluminum ear hooks, and (2) more subtle but no less important hinge joint between the earhook/screw mechanism and the main body - this is not obvious in any of the pictures but allows subtle angle changes affecting placement of the speakers once the earhooks are properly adjusted.

- the cables are the only underwhelming aspect of the kit, very slender and frankly a bit frail, although it does have a gold plated plug unit; they are wrapped tightly in the box, and take several hours of "hang time" to straighten from their annoying initial "curly" position, enhanced by the weakness of the wires themselves.  For $250 I would have expected much better cables.

- after reading some of the previous listings here, I found it easy and quick to get the basic ear position right - someone mentioned the height of the drivers to your ear relative to the earhook is the single most important measure, and he's correct; however, even with that, you have a lifetime of fine tuning ahead to achieve the perfect balance of earhook angle/ driver height/ body hinge bend to chase the Holy Grail of sound; fortunately, it is darn worth it... which leads to

- Sound.  Spectacular, in fits and starts.  Analogy: I'm an amateur astronomer, and if you ever do planetary gazing, you quickly realize that the perfect image is quite elusive, dependent on atmosphere, focus, clouds, and eye position - but with patience you will get glimpses of planetary perfection which bring you back again and again.  I feel it's precisely the same experience with the KDE250s - adjusting the driver position, your seating position, your head angle, and the musical inputs (in my case it's a FiiO X1 with an JDS Labs cMoyBB amp playing hi res FLAC) lends audio glimpses of true high fidelity sonic reproduction - crisp, lifelike forward mids, slightly recessed but accurate highs, and sharp, musical, bass with clear separation - but it all comes and goes for seconds or minutes at a time.  The KDE250s are very sensitive to the quality of the recordings - most MP3 are lifeless - but give it a tight source (like J.D. Souther's 'Sad Cafe' from HDTracks) and you'll be in the room with him if the moment is right. To my ear the most accurate reproductions are piano, male voices, and acoustic guitars, in that order.  Bass is the most susceptible to variations - a smidgin out of place and it either goes boomy/mushy, or disappears on a Jenny Craig diet, losing all it's weight. But when it's right it's also very, very musical and accurate.

- the forward mids can be quite fatiguing with the wrong music, and quickly, so plan carefully.  I find I switch music more  with this configuration, seeking what works.  Lots of fun searching for the Holy Grail, though.  And these things are really good looking,  beautiful even, and as much of a conversation starter as headphones get.

I didn't address the ear comfort - they fit me easily, quickly, without any pain - just don't jam them in! if you set the earhook plus the body hinge right, there should be next to no pressure on the ear tissue - if there is, you don't have it right, and it'll also translate to crappy sound. (My ears are large, and relatively flat to my head BTW.)

- I haven't waited for any break-in as per other posts, but if I do hear some, I'll update.  But if you like a challenge, have some patience, like a high quality headphone which nobody else has, and can feed these high resolution, amplified signals, you're in for a treat.  At least, an occasional glimpse of one.  :wink:

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #52 of 78
Update to my last post: Three months later, I have some pretty good other headphones (Pioneer SE-A1000, Sony MD-VR6, Koss Nighthawks <my name for Portapros with the Kramer mods, plus Parts Express headband> and Koss Blackbirds <KSC-75s in Nighthawk configuration>) and I still just can't listen to anything other than these KDE250s right now. They are that good to my ear, and that addicting. The combination of featherlight in my ear, invisible/imperceptible fit, and HiFi sound has me reaching for these in every listening session, still.

I've switched to the small earhooks, which improved the comfort levels another 30% - I almost can't tell they are in/on my ears now. And they don't interfere with reading glasses, so I can now do marathon Netflix Doctor Who sessions on my Smartphone or tablet with incredible sound!

Musically, I actually didn't experience any break-in, they sound the same/as good as the first listen. I continue to find the wide soundstage combined with the exquisite detail simply addicting. And despite my initial MP3 comment, many well-recorded MP3's "jump to life" in detail and soundstage in these headphones, many more than I initially thought.  For a rather amazing demo, try Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" MP3 from Amazon through these babies - the subtlety and complex details shine right through - you can pick any instrument and follow it's thread through the entire song, a knockout demo.

The frail wires continue to be a constant worry, as one good yank and they feel like they'd be toast, but otherwise, I can't really say anything bad about these. Sure the bass tends to run thin in most cases, but the soundstage and terrific detail simply overwhelm it's shortcomings. And they continue to look pretty cool to my eye. My previous summary stands - if you're willing to give these a try, find them for a deal, and work with 'em a bit, you'll get top shelf sound in a rather exotic package.

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #53 of 78
Tracked down a pair of these for a reasonable enough price that I decided to bite.

With all the hooplah over hybrid elements these days, it's easy to forget some of these earlier experiments - I'm not sure how much of it is the separate acoustic resonant chamber or the slightly larger element, but the separate bass element definitely boosts things without muddying the mids and highs and they do sound great. Easily the best 'earbud' style phone I've every used, although I think my preference for IEMs remains largely intact. 

Unfortunately, the reputation in regard to getting a difficult fit seems also well deserved. Part of it is my IEM instinct to get a 'seal' with the insert, which is not the intention here. Right now, I'm rocking the small clip on my left ear and the medium on my right. It seems to work OK, although I would definitely not characterize these as a mobile pair of phones in the true sense, since they still tend to slide out progressively if I move around a lot. I'm not sure how many active 250 users are on this board at this point, but any pointers would be very welcome.

I can definitely see why these failed pretty hard at MSRP upon release, but it's a bit of a shame Koss dropped the line - it would have been very interesting to see further premium additions for the 'clip' branch of Koss. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #54 of 78
These are on Massdrop today for $120, $100 if 5 or more are purchased.

www.massdrop.com/buy/koss-kde-250-ear-clips

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #55 of 78
Just joined the drop. Will post impressions in the next few weeks. 

I'll be driving these through a Sony ZX2 and comparing to Yuin PK1's recabled to balanced.

Really looking forward hearing these! 

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #56 of 78
This just arrived from Massdrop, the customs have held this thing too long. :D

Initial impression, the fit is horrible, still trying to find the perfect fit. But sound-wise, I already heard the amazing sound coming from it. To explain the sound, I think it is very much like PortaPro, especially in tonality, with less bass but clearer sound. :)

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #58 of 78
Shame Massdrop couldn't get them to upgrade the looks and redo the "arms" for a Massdrop version. Koss has to know they could improve on the fit and give a bit better price point and they could sell more. Really thought we would have seen a MKII version of these by now with such improvements. Guess they are more into doing LE Portapros and tweaking the Plug/Sparkplug more :frowning2:

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #59 of 78
I used to have a very cheap version of these in the 80 which I am sure where koss and they where sideways on a band which I found the best lightweight head phones I have ever had for wearing for 3 to 4 hours at one time and with a Sony Walkman and also a technics portable CD player with a lead acid battery which was really bad on the neck. So I am looking forward to trying these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back