KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,053 of 4,052
Thanks. I think I read somewhere that space between membrane and the stators is larger in Koss than in Stax, therefore is generally can produce more bass quantity.
Hope that issue does not happen in Koss as well.

This Koss 'reliability' issue scares me a little.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,054 of 4,052
Quote:
DefQon, is this only apply for ESP950 or also with Stax?

Toomainstream, lack of crystaline, you mean lack of brightness?

probably, but I wasn't going to say that because it still clearly has a very good high-end response... maybe in my ears the high-end doesn't sit far enough outside the mids to retain that chime. The whole soundstage feels very tight and punchy, as opposed to thin and crystaline which is what I was expecting

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,055 of 4,052
Quote:

probably, but I wasn't going to say that because it still clearly has a very good high-end response... maybe in my ears the high-end doesn't sit far enough outside the mids to retain that chime. The whole soundstage feels very tight and punchy, as opposed to thin and crystaline which is what I was expecting

The high-end response in the Koss is extremely good. It reminds me of higher end speakers in that it's very linear, extremely detailed, extends very high without rolloff, and somehow does it without fatigue.

Thanks. I think I read somewhere that space between membrane and the stators is larger in Koss than in Stax, therefore is generally can produce more bass quantity.
Hope that issue does not happen in Koss as well.

This Koss 'reliability' issue scares me a little.

The supposed maximum volume on the Koss (according to Koss) is scary loud, somewhere around 140db.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,057 of 4,052
Quote:

I see, I understand.  In your description, crystaline sounds more like Staxes sound.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,060 of 4,052
Depends on which Lambda model you're referring to with the more sparkle, some Lambda's sound bit more brighter than the others, some are more dynamic sounding. The Koss ESP950 falls in between having the best of both words but not as neutral as the LNS or some others will say the LS. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,061 of 4,052
With electrostat's and this may not apply to some particular units, but don't play music too loud as it can cause the diaphragm sandwiched between the stators to stick to oneside of the stator and cause an arc. This has happened before to a unit I purchased on ebay. 

.......you might want to relay that message to EveTan since he/she was playing music through the SR-202 in a speaker-like fashion (read: loud) after the channel imbalance kicked in. :|

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #1,062 of 4,052
Quote:

and that's with the stock amp and a line level input? I can't approach anywhere remotely near that with it double amped and everything dimed, I'd say maybe mid 80's, I don't have any way of measuring SPL but...???

Mid 80's is totally not normal for max volume, I could have it turned to less than 25% and have it be louder than that.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #1,063 of 4,052
Mid 80's is totally not normal for max volume, I could have it turned to less than 25% and have it be louder than that.

Then it would appear as though my headphones are not functioning correctly, at least in terms of magnitude of volume? I am also using the 6 x C Battery adapter to power the amplifier off of batteries at this point in time, I didn't manage to snag the correct wallwart when I bought it and none of my onespot adapters fit... So I'm not sure if that'd make much of a difference? Should I call Koss? And anyone have any experience with repair? Estimates on the time it takes?

One other question - going on a airplane flight in several hours. Can I listen to my electrostatics during the flight? Or will the pressure change damage the headphones?

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,064 of 4,052
Depends on which Lambda model you're referring to with the more sparkle, some Lambda's sound bit more brighter than the others, some are more dynamic sounding. The Koss ESP950 falls in between having the best of both words but not as neutral as the LNS or some others will say the LS. 

Which series of Lambda is less brighter?

Actually I was not associating the 'spark' with Grado like brightness, maybe I should say treble detail? This include SR-009 as well, which I find have more treble detail than even HD800

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,065 of 4,052
LP, 407, 303/404's, Lambda and even the LNS are not very bright sounding (minus treble etch). Sort of bright sounding ones 507, 202, 207, NC, NB and the LS is supposedly bright sounding.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back