KOSS ESP-950 Thread
May 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #226 of 4,052
The ESP-950 is definitely a nice phone, comfortable, high end sounding, quality industrial build (but not luxe-materials) and a quite different "voice" from Stax. And, gotta love that warranty.

If I had to describe the difference between ESP-950 and Lambdas, I'd say the ESP-950 is a bit more midrange-forward, more bass impact than Lambdas. The Koss's highs are smooth and extended but the nature of the treble of the Lambda give them a somewhat more "transparent" or "hear through" sound. Interesting highly detailed midrange from the Koss,  their own different sound. Not overwhelmingly "forward" - just different.

It's nice to have a fairly affordable good quality electrostatic headphone with an amplifier out there; it's also good to have another electrostatic "voice" available for purchase besides Stax. (Well there's HE-6  etc  but those aren't readily available)

I can't really compare the Stax SR-007 mk II's that I have against the Koss, I don't really like my SR-007's with either of my Stax amps (SRM1-mkII or SRM-T1)- that's why I am slowly building a DIY T2 - so I don't really know what the SR-007's sound like when matched with a proper amp. Based on what I've heard, I'd venture the following:  ESP-950's have somewhat more bass "impact" than the SR-007's, the SR-007's sound like they are voiced closer to 'neutral'  while the ESP-950's are a bit "forward" or "up front."  YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY  I haven't done that much listening to my SR-007's because I don't like them on either of my amps really.  Or on the SRD-7pro either.  

May 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #227 of 4,052
Quote:
(Well there's HE-6  etc  but those aren't readily available)

I think you mean the EH1.3 Jade.  Hifiman makes orthodynamics.

May 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #229 of 4,052
Quote:
Could also have meant the Senn HE60 baby Orpheus.......

That's probably it.  I just remembered that HiFiMan released a pair of electrostatics some time ago.

May 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #231 of 4,052
Quote:
You can still order them on the Head-Direct website; ridiculously expensive for the build quality from what I recall of reviews.

I've heard that they're quite inconsistent as far as build and sound quality.  Some people think they're cold with a flat soundstage and uncontrolled bass, while some think they're phenomenal with a Grado-like presentation.  If they were $1000 again, and I already had an electrostatic amp I might consider them at some point in the future.

May 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #233 of 4,052
If it seems too good to be true, etc. etc.. You know the rest. :wink:

May 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #235 of 4,052
These are the high end bargains of the century. Forget $2000 orthodynamics that require $600+ amps to sound good. Grab some of these, pair them with a quality DAC and don't look back. Nothing sounds like electrostatics.

May 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #236 of 4,052
Also figured out my ground hum issue!  With the esp950 hooked up to my DAC which is hooked to my Macbook Pro via USB I would get ground hum whenever I touched my laptop and it was plugged in for power.  Turns out the Macbook Pro AC adapter has 2 prongs for the outlet in "wall wart mode" so I used the optional extension adapter which has 3 prongs (added ground) in place of the 2-prong adapter.   Now my ESP950 is a BAMF.

It's much harder to explain than it is to show via pictures!

2 Pronged (bad!):

3-Pronged (good!):

May 21, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #238 of 4,052
Okay, so I scored a used 950 in very good condition, but they don't have the E/90. I'm thinking I'm going to reterminate to use with my SRM-717 and WEE. This a good plan? Seems to be pretty easy, just looking around for parts now.

May 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #239 of 4,052
buy the extension cable and hack that up. Soldering is not easy due to
the very tiny wire wrapped in tiny strands of insulator.

May 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #240 of 4,052
Isn't that like a $100? I only paid $250 for the ESP-950 and was wanting to keep it all below $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back