KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Mar 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #136 of 4,052

I think all of the Beyer DT pro series (like the 100, 250, etc) will be smaller than the ESP/950 - they're fairly large headphones. I know that Koss sells replacements for a few dollars, which could give you an ample supply of "victims" to chop up and try making your own pads. Alternately, you might try "headphone sanitary covers" over the pads (they're a fibre/fabric type material - they come in various sizes). 

Adding a link:
http://www.scansound.com/sterile-covers.html

Quote:

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #137 of 4,052
Grado bowls will work.
rolleyes.gif

Just use a lot of glue and a little cardboard to cover the open areas around the outside of the bowls.
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #138 of 4,052
My idea was to buy 2 pack of DT100 and cut and glue/ them to create bigger pads..

I guess the best idea is to fill the koss pad with something else than the stupid stuff they put in it.

edit: or the grado bowls maybe.. :) it's 20$ the pads..

wish somebody would sell custom pads for them.. hehe

I like velour pads..

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #139 of 4,052
My idea was to buy 2 pack of DT100 and cut and glue/ them to create bigger pads..

I guess the best idea is to fill the koss pad with something else than the stupid stuff they put in it.

edit: or the grado bowls maybe.. :) it's 20$ the pads..

wish somebody would sell custom pads for them.. hehe

I like velour pads..

Why do you think it is the foam in the koss pads? I figure it is more likely the vinyl.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #142 of 4,052
If you switch to a velour/fabric pad you'll probably change the sound quite a lot; probably for the worse. The factory pads are actually fairly good in terms of wearing comfort - they don't stick to your head, are reasonably durable, and aren't rock hard. 

Since they have open back, i'm not sure that a change a pads will have so much effect on the sound.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #143 of 4,052
Quote:
Since they have open back, i'm not sure that a change a pads will have so much effect on the sound.

But they are planar drivers which are very susceptible to backwave cancellation.  They still need to be sealed on the ear side.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #144 of 4,052
Oh no it will; being open-backed doesn't change that. I don't know if the ESP/950 will respond more or less dramatically, because almost the entire cup is also the driver element, but the pads will influence the sound to some extent. My guesstimate is that you'd lose bass response due to losing a seal; this is based on a few open cans that also use "sealed" pads (like the Sony SA5000). Also, changing their shape will probably influence soundstaging (as it changes their positioning). 

Quote:

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #145 of 4,052
Actually if you make some pads with an angle to them and make them out of leather or something that will still seal properly you could probably improve the sound stage somewhat.  If you make them too angled you can run into some other problems and I don't even know if they would still fit properly after a change like that.  The headband might not bend/twist/clamp in the right way anymore if you change angles like that.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #148 of 4,052
Been there, done that. It works alright. That was what I was drawing on when I made the statement.

Quote:
Actually if you make some pads with an angle to them and make them out of leather or something that will still seal properly you could probably improve the sound stage somewhat.  If you make them too angled you can run into some other problems and I don't even know if they would still fit properly after a change like that.  The headband might not bend/twist/clamp in the right way anymore if you change angles like that.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #150 of 4,052
\So I heard this setup today and have to say even without a DAC hooked up, it was the best sounding pair of headphones I've heard, and blew away my HD650s.  For the first time I feel I truly heard real soundstage, and quite possibly the perfect sound signature that would be perfect with all music.  I was seriously enthralled at how good they sounded.  I didn't even suspect big increases like this came in this pricerange from headphones like the HD650s and SR325is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back