KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,857 of 4,054
You really think it's close? Never heard the Koss but that's surprising. Tempted to pick up a set for my other desk :L3000:

Yes. I recommend using the velour pads that come with the Drop version and making sure you get enough volume for them to sound good.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,858 of 4,054
I own both the Koss e-stats and the SR-007 Mk1...there is no comparison. With a really good amp (I am using a WEE and 75-watt speaker amp) the SR-007s blow the Koss away. Much more detail, better bass, and a much more airy sound stage. Don't get me wrong I do like the Koss, but there is a big difference for sure.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #3,859 of 4,054
Hello everybody , a new user of ESP95/X here .

It's really enjoyable to use this pair of headphone . The voice , and the musical instrument is really outstanding when compare to my previous headphones .
(Sony MDR-7506 , AKG 701 , Ultrasone HFi 760)

However , after a few days , I notice that there is some high pitch noise which irritate me .
I'm currently using a Cambridge DACMagic 200M .
My first through is that the problem is caused my poor soldered XLR > RCA cable .
However , after shutting down the DAC , the high pitch noise still exist . So maybe it is the noise from the AC adapter ?

So I'm considering to get a linear power supply . However , there is no way to confirm that will eliminate the issue .
Instead of buying a new power supply , I've bought a USB to DC port cable and connect to my power bank .
Lucky , it works , and the high pitch noise is gone for now (just tested for two days) .

So I'm going to get a new power supply now .
However , a new question is here .
Should I get a 9V or 12V power supply ? And the output should be 15W or 25W ? All these configuration are the same price .
Would anyone give me some comment on the power supply ?

Thanks very much (and also sorry for my poor English) .

Kurz

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #3,860 of 4,054
Hello everybody , a new user of ESP95/X here .

It's really enjoyable to use this pair of headphone . The voice , and the musical instrument is really outstanding when compare to my previous headphones .
(Sony MDR-7506 , AKG 701 , Ultrasone HFi 760)

However , after a few days , I notice that there is some high pitch noise which irritate me .
I'm currently using a Cambridge DACMagic 200M .
My first through is that the problem is caused my poor soldered XLR > RCA cable .
However , after shutting down the DAC , the high pitch noise still exist . So maybe it is the noise from the AC adapter ?

So I'm considering to get a linear power supply . However , there is no way to confirm that will eliminate the issue .
Instead of buying a new power supply , I've bought a USB to DC port cable and connect to my power bank .
Lucky , it works , and the high pitch noise is gone for now (just tested for two days) .

So I'm going to get a new power supply now .
However , a new question is here .
Should I get a 9V or 12V power supply ? And the output should be 15W or 25W ? All these configuration are the same price .
Would anyone give me some comment on the power supply ?

Thanks very much (and also sorry for my poor English) .

Kurz

Voltage: 9V DC
Amperage: 1A minimum
Wattage = Volts * Amps = 9 Watts minimum
Connector: 5.5mm x 2.5mm male
Polarity: Center positive

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #3,861 of 4,054
Voltage: 9V DC
Amperage: 1A minimum
Wattage = Volts * Amps = 9 Watts minimum
Connector: 5.5mm x 2.5mm male
Polarity: Center positive
Thank you .

So is it the best to use the default setting from Koss ?
As I've heard that some owner using a power supply with 12V output ,
I wonder if I should get a 9V or 12V output to get the best performance .

Best regards,
Kurz

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,862 of 4,054
Thank you .

Best regards,
Kurz

12V will most likely damage the energizer over time.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #3,863 of 4,054
Thank you .

Best regards,
Kurz
I use a iFi iPower 9V. After some blind tests with a friend, we both found it to give a little bit more defined bass and overall better sound.

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #3,866 of 4,054
Usually a high pitched noise is the result of dust being trapped in the driver of electrostatic headphones.
If it is actually "contamination", try moving anything wireless away from your power line, like cordless phones and other adapters.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #3,868 of 4,054
Can the E/90x unit be run directly from a computer motherboard via 3.5mm or does it always need to go via DAC? My cans are arriving soon and I would like to try them on my PC without shifting a lot of audio gear around.

Your computer has a DAC. You can use a 3.5mm to dual RCA splitter.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #3,870 of 4,054
True I meant separate DAC but yeah, doesn't the energiser have 3.5mm input on the front? I don't think I have 3.5mm to RCA on me atm.
Yes it does, and I've used it from phone and PC. It works, even if SQ is far worst than a proper DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back