KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Nov 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #2,041 of 4,052
Nov 30, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2,042 of 4,052

Anyone thinking about picking up a new pair of these might want to wait it out until Black Friday as I believe Koss usually has a 40% off deal.

It's ongoing now per their website https://www.koss.com/promos/cyber-monday. I got mine for 30% off last year; glad I didn't wait!

Code is CYBER40 - just ordered a set for 40% off - nice!! A bit impulsive but hope it is as good as everyone says - I normally prefer my money to go to sound than looks - but the construction does look a bit cheesy- it is the lifetime warranty and the good reviews that sold me.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #2,043 of 4,052

Anyone thinking about picking up a new pair of these might want to wait it out until Black Friday as I believe Koss usually has a 40% off deal.

It's ongoing now per their website https://www.koss.com/promos/cyber-monday. I got mine for 30% off last year; glad I didn't wait!

Code is CYBER40 - just ordered a set for 40% off - nice!! A bit impulsive but hope it is as good as everyone says - I normally prefer my money to go to sound than looks - but the construction does look a bit cheesy- it is the lifetime warranty and the good reviews that sold me.

I predict you will not be disappointed. I moved to electrostats as the headphones I had were making my TMJ unbearable (wearing an HE-500 for 6 or so hours a day made it that sometimes I couldn't close my jaw until I "worked it loose). I've stayed for the sound. My only picayune complaint is the split L-R volume, which, come to think of it, is actually is a feature since you can fine-tune the balance so the the music is dead center in YOUR OWN head, regardless of how different your ears may be one from the other. :)

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #2,044 of 4,052

Not going to say they will rival ATs or Fostex for looks, but they do look better in person than in the photos. They're very understated/simple in their design and looks, like the original Sennheiser HD 580, or Prestige series Grado cans. Can't go wrong with black-on-black imho - sure it won't win any beauty contests with the TH-900, but it doesn't look out of place sitting next to them either. :)

I predict you will not be disappointed. I moved to electrostats as the headphones I had were making my TMJ unbearable (wearing an HE-500 for 6 or so hours a day made it that sometimes I couldn't close my jaw until I "worked it loose). I've stayed for the sound. My only picayune complaint is the split L-R volume, which, come to think of it, is actually is a feature since you can fine-tune the balance so the the music is dead center in YOUR OWN head, regardless of how different your ears may be one from the other. :)

Personally I like the split volume control more or less for the exact reason you specified - the only thing I'd change about it, if I could, would be to switch the pot to something more like my old AKAI deck which would allow the two levels to move "together" even if they were offset (so you could, for example, set the right channel 25% higher and then turn the entire set and the right channel would maintain +25%). Those were big clunky metal knobs though, so that may not even physically fit on the E/90.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,045 of 4,052
why should it matter what they look like? 

8/10ths of the reason i don't come around hf so much anymore is the emphasis on form over function that is so rampant here. 

And yeah they look less cheap in person. well, not so much the e/90 it looks cheap any way you look at it. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,046 of 4,052
I know that it has already been mentioned that KOSS is running a 40% off sale price for the ESP950's, but thought it was worth it to share that the 40% can also be used for parts/accessories.  I picked up a few sets of pads and another headband (Normally $50USD...).  

I plan on modifying the headband to be a bit more sturdy as well as svelte.  I'll try and keep this thread updated with the fruits of my tinkering.

Regarding the comments about looks, I remember seeing a picture of ESP950's like 7-8 years ago when I first started getting into audio and I recall how I was immediately struck with the impression that this is what no-nonsense, serious hi-fi headphones looked like.  Had no clue I would ever own a pair... I think they look sharp, but suffer from a cheap feeling headband assembly while the cups are solid and nice looking. This is why I will be attempting to mod the headband.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #2,047 of 4,052
  why should it matter what they look like? 

8/10ths of the reason i don't come around hf so much anymore is the emphasis on form over function that is so rampant here. 

And yeah they look less cheap in person. well, not so much the e/90 it looks cheap any way you look at it. 

I actually agree which is why I pulled the trigger - but all things equal, a nicer design is always appreciated and sometimes can be achieved for little or no extra cost. From what you and a few others have said they look nicer in person. Just to give you a sense, I have gone many years with quality speakers built from kits (in the old days when ACI offered kits) in my home made unfinished cabinets, coupled with very expensive electronics because that gave me the best sound. I recently bought a Yggdrasil because of the sound - not because of the look (although their minimalist look comes off very nice). The other benefit is I don't need to drop another grand or two on a headphone amp (yet). I instead could have picked up HE-560 for the same price but then would need an amp. Anyway - looking forward to trying them out and hoping they hit well above their reasonable price. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2,048 of 4,052
I know that it has already been mentioned that KOSS is running a 40% off sale price for the ESP950's, but thought it was worth it to share that the 40% can also be used for parts/accessories.  I picked up a few sets of pads and another headband (Normally $50USD...).  

I plan on modifying the headband to be a bit more sturdy as well as svelte.  I'll try and keep this thread updated with the fruits of my tinkering.

Regarding the comments about looks, I remember seeing a picture of ESP950's like 7-8 years ago when I first started getting into audio and I recall how I was immediately struck with the impression that this is what no-nonsense, serious hi-fi headphones looked like.  Had no clue I would ever own a pair... I think they look sharp, but suffer from a cheap feeling headband assembly while the cups are solid and nice looking. This is why I will be attempting to mod the headband.

Where did you find the headband? I can only find the cushions.

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,050 of 4,052
i was going to say that i am not impressed by 40% off $999 MSRP on the esp/950 because they can be had for $600 every day of the year . . . but i guess Koss has clamped down on pricing. 

A few years ago you could buy them for $600-$700 any day you like. 

No risk at all in buying used since they have a lifetime warranty. I paid $150 for my set with both sides buzzing and sent it in for repair. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #2,051 of 4,052
As with most things related to finding spare parts, accessories, etc for the ESP/950: Call Koss.

You are precisely correct.  The rep I talked with was pleasant enough and put up with my call-backs due to the fact that the ESP-950 was originally excluded from the sale.

On a more progressive note, I have been playing around with using my Valhalla 2 tube amp as a preamp for the E-90 energizer.  The amp is designed with pre-outs so I'm using it as designed.  I have never heard much about using a preamp with the E90 to boost performance, but I quite like the results.  Even with the added gain, the noise floor is still very black (the V2 is VERY clean).  To my ears the improvements are found in better dynamics, faster impulse response, better three-dimensionality and a subtle tube-smoothness.

Anyone else care to give using a preamp a try?  There is virtually NO information anywhere regarding this kind of setup, so we are indeed the pioneers...

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #2,052 of 4,052

You are precisely correct.  The rep I talked with was pleasant enough and put up with my call-backs due to the fact that the ESP-950 was originally excluded from the sale.

On a more progressive note, I have been playing around with using my Valhalla 2 tube amp as a preamp for the E-90 energizer.  The amp is designed with pre-outs so I'm using it as designed.  I have never heard much about using a preamp with the E90 to boost performance, but I quite like the results.  Even with the added gain, the noise floor is still very black (the V2 is VERY clean).  To my ears the improvements are found in better dynamics, faster impulse response, better three-dimensionality and a subtle tube-smoothness.

Anyone else care to give using a preamp a try?  There is virtually NO information anywhere regarding this kind of setup, so we are indeed the pioneers...

I haven't used the E/90 energizer for about 6 months, having replaced it with a Mjolnir Audio Exstata with an upgraded power supply. This unit has a passive volume control so I set it to max and drive it with a Lyr 2 as a preamp. I don't find that it colors the sound much but I like this arrangement better than just running my Bifrost Multibit DAC directly into the amp.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #2,053 of 4,052
I got the ESP950 the other day with the 40% off from Koss. Out of the box, they are metallic and lack any depth and not great bass. I got a battery supply for the little cheap amp that comes with the phones. That improved things but I also feel they have to burn in. I have read some that say there isn't much change but to me there is. They open up more, develop much better bass and better layering. I would say they take a few hundred hours to become listenable and enjoyable. Very fast, not my favorite sound right now as the Pioneer SE Master-1 and the HE1000 do a better job and it isn't just the price it is the quality of sound but, I still hold out high hopes and will continue to let them run in. I understand an upgraded amp can help but I want to know the potential of the stock unit with the exception of the battery supply, which does improve the sound in all areas. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,054 of 4,052
  I got the ESP950 the other day with the 40% off from Koss. Out of the box, they are metallic and lack any depth and not great bass. I got a battery supply for the little cheap amp that comes with the phones. That improved things but I also feel they have to burn in. I have read some that say there isn't much change but to me there is. They open up more, develop much better bass and better layering. I would say they take a few hundred hours to become listenable and enjoyable. Very fast, not my favorite sound right now as the Pioneer SE Master-1 and the HE1000 do a better job and it isn't just the price it is the quality of sound but, I still hold out high hopes and will continue to let them run in. I understand an upgraded amp can help but I want to know the potential of the stock unit with the exception of the battery supply, which does improve the sound in all areas. 

Welcome to the owners club!

An improved power supply does indeed yield good results (See earlier posts for tested options ...).  Additionally, adding my Valhalla 2 in as a tube preamp has done a lot for layering and dynamics.  I think that the preamp might also take some of the load off of the E/90 and result in a performance increase due to less strain.  The result is an iteration of the stock sound, but nonetheless dramatic.  Also, never discount the merit of a carefully applied parametric EQ. 

VERY important for the bass on the ESP950's is good pad seal.  I should be getting my spare pads in tomorrow and will begin testing out pad-mods.    

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2,055 of 4,052

Welcome to the owners club!

An improved power supply does indeed yield good results (See earlier posts for tested options ...).  Additionally, adding my Valhalla 2 in as a tube preamp has done a lot for layering and dynamics.  I think that the preamp might also take some of the load off of the E/90 and result in a performance increase due to less strain.  The result is an iteration of the stock sound, but nonetheless dramatic.  Also, never discount the merit of a carefully applied parametric EQ. 

VERY important for the bass on the ESP950's is good pad seal.  I should be getting my spare pads in tomorrow and will begin testing out pad-mods.    

So you are using a source to the preamp then to the E90, like with speakers. ?  Interesting. Why not. So you are turning the E90 to max and then using a preamp. You could do the same with a dap, using it as a source and its amp section as the preamp. So I did that right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back