KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jun 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #976 of 4,054
Ha - just called the Koss 1800 number.  They will sell a new pair with out the amp for $500.  Sounds like a good deal to me..

Also,  I'm only getting this headphone for when my amp gets done being built I'm have something to tide me over until I can fund the 009s.  Will these pair prett well with a (KGSSHV-DX) as my builder calls it?

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #977 of 4,054
Prepro:

Buy an additional extension cable from Koss when you buy the headphones (I believe it is under $20 for the cable), then have the extra extension re-terminated for a Stax amp, and you should be good to go. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #981 of 4,054
You could make an adapter, but I agree that the stock cable is short, having the extension on is nice.

And since many of the 950's do have issues including the "squeal" you might want to keep them in good shape so they can be returned for replacement. 

Details on the pin out are at the bottom of this Wiki.  http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=ESP/950_Electrostatic_Stereophone

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #982 of 4,054
Quote:
Prepro:

Buy an additional extension cable from Koss when you buy the headphones (I believe it is under $20 for the cable), then have the extra extension re-terminated for a Stax amp, and you should be good to go. 

I tend to make the converting cable my self.
Do you know where can I buy the stax connector and the extra extension cable from koss?
I also have a problem with the "squeal". It does make those stage noises in the beginning, but after about 80hours of break in, it is gone. Is it possible it will be "back" again? Should I RMA it? It takes a lot of effort to RMA, so if the phone is fine as it is, I am happy to keep it.

Thanks~~~~

P.S.

Among all the phones I have in my pic, I love the Koss on pops. They just have the right tune for main stream musics. Good bass with no sibilance at all. All T1 and HD800 does is to make pop sounds like the recording has been recorded with digital synthesizers(which maybe most of them are). The Koss makes them sound live and enjoyable:p

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #983 of 4,054
Jun 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #984 of 4,054
Quote:
Ha - just called the Koss 1800 number.  They will sell a new pair with out the amp for $500.  Sounds like a good deal to me..

Also,  I'm only getting this headphone for when my amp gets done being built I'm have something to tide me over until I can fund the 009s.  Will these pair prett well with a (KGSSHV-DX) as my builder calls it?

I've heard good things about the Koss and KGSSHV combo, though I've never heard it myself.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #985 of 4,054
Quote:
If the squeal is gone, I wouldn't send 'em back unless it comes back.  It is a lifetime warranty.

You can get a STAX plug from Moon Audio - http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/other-connectors/stax-cable-mount-5-pin-din.html

You can get the KOSS extension directly from Koss cheap, like $10.  Should make for a $25 extension.

Phone: 1-800-USA-KOSS (1-800-872-5677)  Email: customersupport@koss.com

I can not find the extension cable on their official website.
Can you tell me which site you find the information?

Thanks

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #986 of 4,054
OK so I can not just buy a Stax cable and be done with it.  Is this correct?
popcorn.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #987 of 4,054

Thanks

The phone number and email contact information is posted above. Just call or email Koss.

OK so I can not just buy a Stax cable and be done with it.  Is this correct?:popcorn:

Yes, that's correct, you can't.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #988 of 4,054
Quote:
OK so I can not just buy a Stax cable and be done with it.  Is this correct?
popcorn.gif

Yeah, sorry buddy.  They're hard-wired.  You could send them in and have someone solder on a new cable, but you'll void the lifetime warranty on a headphone that has had its issues.  Moon Audio sells the plug, but they'll also do the work for the extension for you if you don't want to attempt it yourself.

Quote:

Thanks

As shipsupt said, you'll have to call or email for the extension.  They don't sell them through distributors as far as I can tell.

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #990 of 4,054
Anyone tried the phone on HEAD AMP THREE from MAL VALVE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back