KOSS ESP-950 Thread
May 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #963 of 4,054
Hi guys - 

I wanted to share my listening experience today and ask opinions.

I auditioned the Sennheiser HD-650, 700 and 800 via a Musical Fidelity headphone amp and also the Bryston BHA-1.  I hated the 650 but the 700 and 800 were ok although they didn't engage me emotionally.

The store also had two Stax models - the 202/SRM 252II amp and the 007 MarkII/SRM 007ts.   

Well - my favourite turned out to be the 202 - it was the only combo that actually made me tap my feet and sent shivers down my spine.  On occasion however, and bearing in mond that I was listening to CDs rather than vinyl (my usual source), it was a little bright.  

I gather from this forum that the 950 is generally consider smoother than the Stax range and with a little more bass but has anyone auditioned the 202/252 against the 950/E-90?  

I can get both new for the same price.

Opinions appreciated!

May 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #964 of 4,054
I dunno about the 202, but I was a big fan of the 407 with the 252s. Liked it a bit more than the 950, bit it is indeed on the bright side. The 950 is indeed a neutral and slightly smooth sounding can. If the 202 is anything like the 407, then yes, the 950 will be better if you prefer a slightly laid back presentation.

May 5, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #965 of 4,054
Quote:
I gather from this forum that the 950 is generally consider smoother than the Stax range and with a little more bass but has anyone auditioned the 202/252 against the 950/E-90?  

Opinions appreciated!

I've never tried the 202+252 combo but do have the 202 and heard both, the 202 is a tad bit more brighter but the extension on the 202 is as effortless as the 950 itself.

May 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #966 of 4,054
Quote:
Hi guys - 

I wanted to share my listening experience today and ask opinions.

I auditioned the Sennheiser HD-650, 700 and 800 via a Musical Fidelity headphone amp and also the Bryston BHA-1.  I hated the 650 but the 700 and 800 were ok although they didn't engage me emotionally.

The store also had two Stax models - the 202/SRM 252II amp and the 007 MarkII/SRM 007ts.   

Well - my favourite turned out to be the 202 - it was the only combo that actually made me tap my feet and sent shivers down my spine.  On occasion however, and bearing in mond that I was listening to CDs rather than vinyl (my usual source), it was a little bright.  

I gather from this forum that the 950 is generally consider smoother than the Stax range and with a little more bass but
has anyone auditioned the 202/252 against the 950/E-90?  

Opinions appreciated!

I own the 202/252, the ESP950 and the 407 fed from a KGSSHV.

I prefer "bright", I prefer the 202/252 combo.
The thing you said about "tap my feet and shivers down the spine" rings so true. (for me at least)
I have A-B'ed the 202 vs the 950 extensively many times. The Stax 202 wins every time.
My 950/E-90 sits on the shelf most of the time. They are my backup stats. Lifetime warranty is good too!

May 11, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #967 of 4,054
Well - 

Thanks to all of you I am now the proud owner of a pair of the 950s!

First impressions after listening to a range of music types via an Arcam FMJ CD23 player are:

1. Boy oh boy - do they present detail well!  I am hearing things i've never heard before after coming from a pair of Sennheiser 565s.

2.  They are indeed very smooth and no matter what program material I threw at them they failed to get flustered and harsh

3.  Bass - really high quality and capable of going very deep indeed albeit without a lot of 'wallop'

4.  The speed with which instruments start and stop is amazing

5.  I got scared on a number of occasions as I was listening with my eyes closed and then heard a sound that was obviously on the CD but I thought it was in the house - will have to watch that!

All in all I am very pleased and am sure the sound will open up even further as they burn-in.

Hopefully they'll be ok with vinyl - my TT is currently out of commission but am hoping they won't pick up too much surface noise and make listening with vinyl unpleasant.  My TT sound through the speakers I have (quite revealing studio monitor 3-ways) is fairly smooth and not too much surface noise is apparent. 

Given my previous auditions, I am still intrigued though as to how I would find them vs the Stax 202s/207s.  

Has anyone tried them with the battery pack?

May 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #968 of 4,054
Coming in from another thread... http://www.head-fi.org/t/664922/koss-esp-950-at-wits-end

I'm on my _fourth_ pair of replacement ESP/950s after buying them brand new in February. Not one of the pairs has functioned properly-- all had 'the squeal'. Koss just sent me a mailing label to send them back yet again.

I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever get a functioning pair.

From my last post in the other thread:

"Well, after disassembling things and deciding not to muck around with them (I have a good guess with what went wrong in the manufacture/assembly, and I have no chance in heck of fixing it), I complained politely to Koss and they've sent me a prepaid mailing label to return them. Again.

I like the design I saw inside. In fact I think the design is absolutely bloody ingenious. It's too bad they're having trouble making it consistently... which is weird, because the beauty of the design is how simple/easy it looks like it is to make. Aside from the diaphragm material, I'm pretty sure I could turn out an exact copy of the driver element in my basement shop in a night. That diaphragm though....

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #970 of 4,054
I was planning on selling these to afford a new pre/power amp setup for a pair of Thiels I recently picked up. However, I'm listening to Ray Lamontagne's "Till the Sun Turns Black" album right now, and I really don't think I can let these go. They're almost unnervingly realistic and natural, and I love it. I have a really difficult decision on my hands now.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #972 of 4,054
Can you buy these new "without" the amp?

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back