KOSS ESP-950 Thread
May 17, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #2,146 of 4,052
Got my ESP-950 back from the shop. Not sure what they replaced, but it might have been the earphone segment itself. Same headband I sent.

Glad to have them! I ran it through the preamp out of my Lyr and they sounded great. Getting some RCA splitters so I can run them out the back of my Bifrost directly.

May 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,147 of 4,052
So, @Vesperaudio can make a custom leather set of ear pads for the Koss ESP-950 for about $49. I'm thinking of doing this! Any thoughts? I'm thinking they should be about 1.5 times thicker than the stock pads. They can even do a velour / leather hybrid. Any thoughts or advise? 

May 19, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2,148 of 4,052
  So, @Vesperaudio can make a custom leather set of ear pads for the Koss ESP-950 for about $49. I'm thinking of doing this! Any thoughts? I'm thinking they should be about 1.5 times thicker than the stock pads. They can even do a velour / leather hybrid. Any thoughts or advise? 

Thicker as in deeper? Like the headphone will sit farther from your head?

May 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,149 of 4,052

Thicker as in deeper? Like the headphone will sit farther from your head?

That's what I was thinking. I read a thread about custom pads, and the guy made the pads thicker (deeper), and that seem to make the bass better.

May 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,150 of 4,052

That's what I was thinking. I read a thread about custom pads, and the guy made the pads thicker (deeper), and that seem to make the bass better.

Could be, 'better' being subjective of course. It can totally change the sound, however. I got extra thick pads on a HiFiMAN HE-400 and the sound was different, but not improved.

Question - I currently have my Bifrost outputs split, with one side going to my Lyr, and the other side going to the Koss electrostatic amp. I also have a preamp out on the Lyr, which requires the amp to be on, and the volume control impacts how much signal the Koss amp gets.

What do you guys thing I should do? Leave it split with RCA adaptors, or use the preamp out? I didn't initially because I'm introducing another step in the signal chain.

May 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2,151 of 4,052

Question - I currently have my Bifrost outputs split, with one side going to my Lyr, and the other side going to the Koss electrostatic amp. I also have a preamp out on the Lyr, which requires the amp to be on, and the volume control impacts how much signal the Koss amp gets.

What do you guys thing I should do? Leave it split with RCA adaptors, or use the preamp out? I didn't initially because I'm introducing another step in the signal chain.

I use the preamp outs from my Lyr2 to the amp that drives the ESP-950s. No regrets. Plus I'm wondering if splitting an RCA out to two other components could do something funky with the output impedance?

Anyway...try running from your Lyr.

May 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,152 of 4,052

I use the preamp outs from my Lyr2 to the amp that drives the ESP-950s. No regrets. Plus I'm wondering if splitting an RCA out to two other components could do something funky with the output impedance?

Both are good, but I was semi-distracted with the volume the Lyr should be set at. I sat there thinking "what if I turn it up? what if I turn it down?" instead of listening to the music.

I was thinking about the impedance as well. Wouldn't only having one amp on alleviate that?

May 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,153 of 4,052

Could be, 'better' being subjective of course. It can totally change the sound, however. I got extra thick pads on a HiFiMAN HE-400 and the sound was different, but not improved.

I bought some extra Koss pads and stacked the foam from the older pads into the newer pads and sewed them up with some vinyl fabric. It was super easy and very cheap. I originally did it because my ears would rub against the inside of the cups and annoy me after a few minutes of use. I think it helped a bit with bass extension, but that could also be my imagination. others have mentioned that because of the design of electrostats, seal should have no effect of the sound. I have no idea, but can say that it's a super cheap and easy mod that anyone can do. For me it has improved comfort most of all and don't think it has changed the sound negatively in any way. 

May 19, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,154 of 4,052

I bought some extra Koss pads and stacked the foam from the older pads into the newer pads and sewed them up with some vinyl fabric. It was super easy and very cheap. I originally did it because my ears would rub against the inside of the cups and annoy me after a few minutes of use. I think it helped a bit with bass extension, but that could also be my imagination. others have mentioned that because of the design of electrostats, seal should have no effect of the sound. I have no idea, but can say that it's a super cheap and easy mod that anyone can do. For me it has improved comfort most of all and don't think it has changed the sound negatively in any way. 

Interesting. Can you post pictures?

May 19, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #2,155 of 4,052

The technical term is "variable pre-amp output", I think.

From everything I've read, splitting line level analog doesn't degrade the signal or the sound. Schiit even recommends it:

From the Sys FAQ:
Hey, can you use this in reverse to switch 1 input to two outputs?
Yes, with the volume all the way up. But why not just use RCA Y-cables or splitters, like these?

I have an Oppo HA-1 with one set of RCA pre-amp outs. I want to feed them into a Crack and the Koss. I even built a switch box and considered the Schiit Sys, but then I read the above, and I just set up some splitters. 

May 19, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #2,156 of 4,052

From everything I've read, splitting line level analog doesn't degrade the signal or the sound. Schiit even recommends it:

I have an Oppo HA-1 with one set of RCA pre-amp outs. I want to feed them into a Crack and the Koss. I even built a switch box and considered the Schiit Sys, but then I read the above, and I just set up some splitters. 

I couldn't find the amount of juice that comes out of the preamp output, that would be interesting to know.

I was considering getting some of those "piggyback" RCA cables, but they're all too long for my purpose and none of them look to be of durable quality.

May 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,157 of 4,052

I couldn't find the amount of juice that comes out of the preamp output, that would be interesting to know.

I was considering getting some of those "piggyback" RCA cables, but they're all too long for my purpose and none of them look to be of durable quality.

Extrapolating from and AudioHolics article. High end equipment might put out 7Vrms unbalanced and 15Vrms balanced, but that is high. 1-2Vrms is more common.
Data from https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/integra-research-rdc-7-1/measurements-and-analysis

May 19, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,158 of 4,052

Both are good, but I was semi-distracted with the volume the Lyr should be set at. I sat there thinking "what if I turn it up? what if I turn it down?" instead of listening to the music.

I was thinking about the impedance as well. Wouldn't only having one amp on alleviate that?

Turn the E90 up halfway. ( or more....find the magic spot) and leave it. Then just use the Lyr volume knob.

May 20, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,159 of 4,052
Turn the E90 up halfway. ( or more....find the magic spot) and leave it. Then just use the Lyr volume knob.

I turned the E90 to the 'second tick' and use the Lyr. Oddly, it sounds better!

May 20, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,160 of 4,052
I didn't think you could use anything but a dedicated stat amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back