Koss ESP 950 discussion
Jul 24, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #61 of 73
(Since this is the default ESP-950 cumulative experiences thread, I'm posting this here rather than starting a new thread)
As I listen more and more to the ESP I'm convinced that the problem with this particular combo is the confusing soundstage. Is it above the listener, below, to the left or to the right? After several tweaks to the balance on the amplifier, I still was unable to get it just right. And then it happened, with no warning everything suddenly fell into place AFTER one hour of listening to the headphones (not 1 hour after turning them on!). It looks like the warm up time actually means music running warm up time. I wonder if that's me warming to the headphones or the headphones warming up to me.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #62 of 73
I have been using a variable output 3 amp 0-30 volt dc power supply from Elenco. I set it at at the nominated voltage of 9 volts. The larger power supply really brings this set to life, especially in bass and dynamics. It has a less edgy treble than the Stax 404 although I would not call it recessed. I would say that with the bigger power supply it is particularly good for rock/pop, whereas the Stax 404 may be too edgy for that kind of music.

Jul 31, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #63 of 73
kartik & edstrelow - I noticed a problem with my refurbished ESP/950 that is somewhat subtle, but very reproducible. When I play classical symphonies, and set the volume fairly high, the sound in the left channel breaks up when the full orchestra produces sounds in the lower registers. I think that it's just like the kind of sound that is produced when an amplifier is driven too hard and therefore clips. It's especially noticeable when I play Mozart symphonies, in which the lower registers can be a bit more clearly heard by me, than when I play a Beethoven symphonies. This problem never occurs when I lower the sound level of the Koss E/90 amp; i.e., when I play at a lower volume setting. But, when I substantially increase the volume, the clipping (i.e., breakup) of full orchestral sound in the lower registers, but only in the left speaker of the headphone, becomes clearly noticeable again. And, when I lower the volume, the problem disappears. The rest of the sound spectrum is not affected in any way, at any volume setting. Hopefully, this problem will disappear when I get the 3 amp power supply. Have either of you noticed any such difficulties with your ESP/950 headphones?

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
kartik & edstrelow - I noticed a problem with my refurbished ESP/950 that is somewhat subtle, but very reproducible. When I play classical symphonies, and set the volume fairly high, the sound in the left channel breaks up when the full orchestra produces sounds in the lower registers. I think that it's just like the kind of sound that is produced when an amplifier is driven too hard and therefore clips. It's especially noticeable when I play Mozart symphonies, in which the lower registers can be a bit more clearly heard by me, than when I play a Beethoven symphonies. This problem never occurs when I lower the sound level of the Koss E/90 amp; i.e., when I play at a lower volume setting. But, when I substantially increase the volume, the clipping (i.e., breakup) of full orchestral sound in the lower registers, but only in the left speaker of the headphone, becomes clearly noticeable again. And, when I lower the volume, the problem disappears. The rest of the sound spectrum is not affected in any way, at any volume setting. Hopefully, this problem will disappear when I get the 3 amp power supply. Have either of you noticed any such difficulties with your ESP/950 headphones?

Are you moving both the rings on the volume knob or one more than the other? It maybe that you are just giving more juice to one channel, leading to clipping before the other. I would suggest trying to see if a different balance setting of the two rings of the audio level knob may solve your problem.

Jul 31, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #65 of 73
Both rings are in identical positions, and the sound level from both sides seems to be the same. I've also powered the amp with several other power supplies, but the malfunctioning left side remained the same. Later tonight I'll try six C-cell batteries, but I'm sure that the problem will remain. I think that the problem is in the E/90 amp, and that the unit will have to be sent back for repair/replacement under Koss' warranty program. I already sent an e-mail to one of their reps. Sorry, but it looks as if my schedule for upgrading the E/950 will be set back a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
Are you moving both the rings on the volume knob or one more than the other? It maybe that you are just giving more juice to one channel, leading to clipping before the other. I would suggest trying to see if a different balance setting of the two rings of the audio level knob may solve your problem.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Both rings are in identical positions, and the sound level from both sides seems to be the same. I've also powered the amp with several other power supplies, but the malfunctioning left side remained the same. Later tonight I'll try six C-cell batteries, but I'm sure that the problem will remain. I think that the problem is in the E/90 amp, and that the unit will have to be sent back for repair/replacement under Koss' warranty program. I already sent an e-mail to one of their reps. Sorry, but it looks as if my schedule for upgrading the E/950 will be set back a bit.

Hang on a minute! If the E-90 is defective how about sending it to Mcalister to use the jack to use in your new amp!

Aug 1, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #67 of 73
Better idea is to get a replacement from Koss. That way I have two amps. As for a Koss chassis connector, Peter thinks that he can fabricate one, or get it somewhere. If he succeeds, his experience will benefit others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
Hang on a minute! If the E-90 is defective how about sending it to Mcalister to use the jack to use in your new amp!

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #69 of 73
It's possible that I play more loudly than you do, but it's not louder that many others that I've heard play at meets. This breakup was in the left channel only, and it occured at a volume that was not unreasonably loud. I was told by Koss that I should get the unit back in about a week. BTW, their warranty policy is amazing. No purchase receipt, or any other proof of purchase of ownership, are needed. You just include $6 for handling and shipping, and the unit is repaired, no matter how old it is, or how many have owned it before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
Yes, something is defective here. I have never heard the 950's break up, although possibly you can stand more volume than I can.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #70 of 73

Quote:
(Since this is the default ESP-950 cumulative experiences thread, I'm posting this here rather than starting a new thread)
As I listen more and more to the ESP I'm convinced that the problem with this particular combo is the confusing soundstage. Is it above the listener, below, to the left or to the right? After several tweaks to the balance on the amplifier, I still was unable to get it just right. And then it happened, with no warning everything suddenly fell into place AFTER one hour of listening to the headphones (not 1 hour after turning them on!). It looks like the warm up time actually means music running warm up time. I wonder if that's me warming to the headphones or the headphones warming up to me.

I have the same soundstage bug with those phone... Isone pro fix it by the way...

I'm hoping for a meier crossfeed or maybe dac with crossfeed to fix this weird soundstage..

But it can be the amp... I might send mine on warranty for koss to check it up and make sure it's all good.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #71 of 73
Reviving a 7 year old thread...at least the search function was used. There's a newer thread about these in the High-End:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/581491/koss-esp-950-thread 

There's no "bug" (in that I'm skeptical your set is defective) - their soundstage is very good but it's also fairly unique; if you like crossfeed that may address it. Probably no reason to have Koss repair or check over the equipment, but it's only a few bucks and the time (the time is the reason I'm skeptical - it isn't instant). Regarding their soundstage overall, I don't get the "two lobes" problem, but it certainly isn't "head on" like some other headphones can accomplish. It's just the ESP/950 (if you want "head on" look at the Sony MDR-F1 or SA5000).

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #72 of 73
Recently purchased the ESP950 and at first found them to be a bit thin tonally and light in the bass.
After some breakin hours, I fired up JRiver on my pc and turned on the crossfeed with a little extra 
judicious EQ.  Wow....different phones.  Bass still won't thump, but it there and very clean  Something
about these phones just pulls me into the music.
Hibuck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back