Koss ESP 950 discussion
Jul 12, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
What are you doing?

Posts like these discourage people from changing their minds and prevent them from getting deeper into this **** like the rest of us. Misery loves company. Aren't the you guy who posted in the "No more upgrades for me" thread (or whatever the title of that thread was) then bought an R10/Stealth immediately thereafter?
lambda.gif

BTW, GS, did you get the Omega IIs from one of the lucky 18?

---Pat

It was a KGSS/Omega 2 combo. Actually I think it was your thread. While you were discussing it, I quickly snagged the combo off audiogon. Some student didn't have enough money for student fees or something. So I like to think of it as helping someone getting a better education.

I am not giving GS a hard time. Contrary to that. It just sometimes he confuses me with his posts and then does the complete opposite.

mikeg>Maybe GS and Nik are seperated at birth
wink.gif
Just kidding, I respect GS opinions.

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
And Nik's also?

like I said i respect GS opinions. We don't share a common taste in headphones but I can accept his opinion without hesitation.

Don't worry about getting me into trouble. As for Nik he has a pattern which repeats itself every so many months or so. The thing is most headfiers can see through it. I am no genius but it's patronising and insulting to people's intelligence. It's not a language thing either. Personally I have no problem with the guy. But I do see his posts and they come across as less than favourable. But I have only been here a short while so it is not my place to say.

It really suprised me when he didn't get the he90 and custom amp.

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #34 of 73
Me too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
like I said i respect GS opinions. We don't share a common taste in headphones but I can accept his opinion without hesitation.

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #36 of 73
let me rephrase the question on the poster's behalf: Is a Koss ESP950 a good poor man's HE90 or is it complete crap?

I don't think he is asking if the 950 is better than the HE90. You audio guys can't keep anything simple :p

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

Don't worry about getting me into trouble. As for Nik he has a pattern which repeats itself every so many months or so. The thing is most headfiers can see through it. I am no genius but it's patronising and insulting to people's intelligence. It's not a language thing either. Personally I have no problem with the guy. But I do see his posts and they come across as less than favourable. But I have only been here a short while so it is not my place to say.

It really suprised me when he didn't get the he90 and custom amp.

Aren't we really straying off topic here?
On topic: Need to get KG's opinions on HE-60 vs. ESP-950 when powered by KGSS.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #38 of 73
Let me try to explain some of my motivations in pursuing this 950 project. First, I get a kick when something that's lots less expensive than the top dogs (e.g., HE90, Omega 2, R10) performs as well, or almost as well. This makes it possible for lots more Head-Fi folks to afford it, and lots and lots of discussions follow from those who buy it, and from those who think of doing so. And, needless to say, I really enjoy this dialog. Secondly, if lots more people get this headphone, then lots more of our amp. fabricators can create more new gems for us to buy, enjoy, and carry out our dialog about. My effort is really not so much about getting a superior system for myself, since I think that my current R10/SDS combo is probably almost as good as it gets. My fun comes from coming up with these ideas, buying the equipment, trying it out and announcing the results, exciting others to buy and mod the equipment, and then enjoying the resulting dialog. In fact, I got a real kick out of contributing to the recent excitement that resulted in the Lucky 18 new HE90 owners. In fact, I still hope that, one way or another, our collective Head-Fi influence will cause Sennheiser to enable Jan Meier to offer several more lots of HE90s to us, but at a cost below $3.5K. Guess that my hope springs eternal. Well, I guess that's what I'm all about as far as the time that I spend on Head-Fi. Thanks for the opportunity, Jude.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Let me try to explain some of my motivations in pursuing this 950 project. First, I get a kick when something that's lots less expensive than the top dogs (e.g., HE90, Omega 2, R10) performs as well, or almost as well. This makes it possible for lots more Head-Fi folks to afford it, and lots and lots of discussions follow from those who buy it, and from those who think of doing so. And, needless to say, I really enjoy this dialog. Secondly, if lots more people get this headphone, then lots more of our amp. fabricators can create more new gems for us to buy, enjoy, and carry out our dialog about. My effort is really not so much about getting a superior system for myself, since I think that my current R10/SDS combo is probably almost as good as it gets. My fun comes from coming up with these ideas, buying the equipment, trying it out and announcing the results, exciting others to buy and mod the equipment, and then enjoying the resulting dialog. In fact, I got a real kick out of contributing to the recent excitement that resulted in the Lucky 18 new HE90 owners. In fact, I still hope that, one way or another, our collective Head-Fi influence will cause Sennheiser to enable Jan Meier to offer several more lots of HE90s to us, but at a cost below $3.5K. Guess that my hope springs eternal. Well, I guess that's what I'm all about as far as the time that I spend on Head-Fi. Thanks for the opportunity, Jude.

My motivations for buying the 950 were easy to understand. No Frikking money! Hence choice.
My motivations for plugging the 950 (shamelessly): Ego.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #40 of 73
kartik - Your profile says "cardiologist." You need to come to Florida. Lots and lots of oldsters, and cardiologists offices are overflowing. You'd be so busy making $$$$ that you'll never have a chance to plug the 950. Just kidding, of course, and thanks for your honesty. I just ordered the 950, refurbished, for $372. Probably just some scratches on the box. I'll probably be discussing it a lot in the future.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #41 of 73
I have nothing against the ESP-950...still VERy interested. But I got such a fantastic deal on the Omega-II that I couldnt refuse. If someone sells their ESP950...or considers loaning it to me (I am in Texas) it will be fantastic.

Kartik - I am no longer in Florida. And we havent had a hurricane in texas in a while. We could use it...no water here
rolleyes.gif

Will the ESP950 out-perform the HE-90? I am keeping an open mind. With a little tweaking ANYTHING is possible. Did you see the guy with the DIY electrrostatic headphones?

If he can do it...and if sennheiser can do it...then we can do it
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing is for sure. Electrostats RULE! and among all of us we have a pile of some of the best cans money can buy. Which goes to say a lot about our taste, expectations and attention to detail.

It doesnt matter what you choose - if it was discussed here on HeadFi to ANY length...then it must be special
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

kartik - Your profile says "cardiologist." You need to come to Florida. Lots and lots of oldsters, and cardiologists offices are overflowing. You'd be so busy making $$$$ that you'll never have a chance to plug the 950. Just kidding, of course, and thanks for your honesty. I just ordered the 950, refurbished, for $372. Probably just some scratches on the box. I'll probably be discussing it a lot in the future.

Good on you, Mike! See my post #20 in this thread and the link provided there. I was about the buy that same pair of 950's but got cold feet when thinking that the "refurbished" thing might mean that it has had some of the problems that reviewers #6, 8 and 10 from the Audio Review link talk about. Hopefully, that will not be the case, but since Koss has a lifetime warranty you'll be able to get them serviced or replaced anyway in the event that they do give you trouble.

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #43 of 73
It'll also be interesting to see what Headphile can do toward creating an ESP-950 woodie, if that's possible. So, a 950 woodie, powered by an EA-1 that's also equipped with connectors for the HE90 and Omega 2, should make for a fun display at a future meet. No?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I have nothing against the ESP-950...still VERy interested. But I got such a fantastic deal on the Omega-II that I couldnt refuse. If someone sells their ESP950...or considers loaning it to me (I am in Texas) it will be fantastic.

Kartik - I am no longer in Florida. And we havent had a hurricane in texas in a while. We could use it...no water here
rolleyes.gif

Will the ESP950 out-perform the HE-90? I am keeping an open mind. With a little tweaking ANYTHING is possible. Did you see the guy with the DIY electrrostatic headphones?

If he can do it...and if sennheiser can do it...then we can do it
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing is for sure. Electrostats RULE! and among all of us we have a pile of some of the best cans money can buy. Which goes to say a lot about our taste, expectations and attention to detail.

It doesnt matter what you choose - if it was discussed here on HeadFi to ANY length...then it must be special
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #44 of 73
http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...dford1_prj.htm

Anyone interested in going DIY
smily_headphones1.gif
I am sure we can learn a lot by peering into the ESP-950...at least we wont feel too bad ripping into those headphones. Imagine requesting a HE-90 for butchering
eggosmile.gif

IIRC Jecklin had an Electrostatic Float. The Jecklin Float chassis is ideal for a DIY electrostatic headphone designed and tuned to user preference. It would be fantastic to lay out such a process with a bill of materials for the interested DIYer to have a go.

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #45 of 73
I'm hopeful that things will go better for me. But, since I don't intend to use the Koss energizer unit for long (i.e., I'll replace it with the EA-1 amp.), I hope to be free of most of these problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I was one keystroke away from buying the refurbished pair of ESL 950's now available from amazon.com but then decided to do a google search to learn a little more about them. In doing so, I stumbled across the reviews from Audio Review:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headp...8_2750crx.aspx

BTW, I normally don't give much weight to what people say at Audio Review, because quite frankly, a lot of fools post there. Anyway, what caught my attention mostly were the 2 guys who posted about problems that they've had with the ESP 950's. There is a lifetime warranty, which is pretty cool, but sending them back and forth 4 or 5 times doesn't sound like fun. It's only my guess, but probably a good one, that the "open box" item on Amazon.com for $364 which is listed under the refurbished section, has had the problems that these guys at Audio Review are talking about.

The negative reveiws about the quality/repair issues that I was referring to are on the 2nd page of the above link, which shows reviews 6-10. Reviewers #6, #8 and #10 were the ones who had trouble.

So I'll probably take a pass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back