Koss ESP 950 discussion
Jul 11, 2005 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Note that this thread is a split off from the following thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127189 which discusses the warm up time for the HE90's.

kartik - I'd really like to read an unbiased comparison between your ESP 950 and Guss2's HE90, when powered by several different amps. Since the ESP 950 is available for about $500, while the HE90 costs 10X as much, it would be interesting to know to what degree (if any) their performance differs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
NOOOOO!!
SHUT UP! PLEASE!!!!
I can't take this. Only someone evil would inflict their owning an HE-90 on the world. If you own it keep quiet before I conflagrate! Forget burning in you cans, I'm burning up with jealousy!

Congrats on your purchase. I don't know if you've electrostats before. In my humble cheapo stats, not only do they require a LOOONG burn in, they need to be left on... ...constantly. Loss of charge is death to the sound.

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
kartik - I'd really like to read an unbiased comparison between your ESP 950 and Guss2's HE90, when powered by several different amps. Since the ESP 950 is available for about $500, while the HE90 costs 10X as much, it would be interesting to know to what degree (if any) their performance differs.

It'd be pretty funny if the ESP 950's won, well unless you owned the HE-90s!
eek.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Since the ESP 950 is available for about $500...

The link that Guru posted to the Koss website shows $999.99. Who 'dat be the selling 'dem for $500? Spill your guts, man!

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
It'd be pretty funny if the ESP 950's won, well unless you owned the HE-90s!
eek.gif

How do mean funny here?

Funny, ha ha?

Funny, ain't that strange?

Funny, gender confused?

Just what are you getting at, gpalmer! You trying to get all of these new HE90 owners to second guess themselves?!?!
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
How do mean funny here?

Funny, ha ha?

Funny, ain't that strange?

Funny, gender confused?

Just what are you getting at, gpalmer! You trying to get all of these new HE90 owners to second guess themselves?!?!
biggrin.gif

LOL, OK there Joe Peschi! Yes, I was looking to get at least one set of backups out of the deal and GoRedwings promised me half of whatever I could save him on a set of the new ones..
orphsmile.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 73
I think it would be prudent to move this to another thread...If I were Guss I would be rather testy by now
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry Guss...Wayne - can you help move these ESP-950 discussions to another thread? Thanks!
cool.gif

Found on amazon for the lowest price so far. Another place has a refurbished one but im not taking chances with that. This looks interesting. Apparently it comes in a nice case etc. etc. but I havent been able to find too many pictures to satisfy my curiosity.

Kartik?
smily_headphones1.gif

here is the amazon.com link : Koss ESP-950

koss_esp-950.jpg

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 73
I wonder how the ESP-950 would sound if powered by a McAlister Audio EA-1 all tube electrostatic amp., which costs $699. Can the Koss be connected directly to the EA-1, or would an adapter be needed? Since the total cost of this combo would be approx. $1,260, I wonder how its performance would compare to that of a >$10K HE90 rig (i.e., HE90 plus amp.).

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 73
Just curious, how did these postings, which were originally posted on another thread, suddenly appear as this new thread? Why wasn't a notification regarding this change posted on the original thread?

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Just curious, how did these postings, which were originally posted on another thread, suddenly appear as this new thread? Why wasn't a notification regarding this change posted on the original thread?

I requested Wayne to move it because the thread was going off-topic. I am sure Guss is happier now that his discussion can get back on trrack - and I feel less guilty posting here
wink.gif

gs

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
The link that Guru posted to the Koss website shows $999.99. Who 'dat be the selling 'dem for $500? Spill your guts, man!

Are you getting a pair just for kicks?
smily_headphones1.gif
If you are - lemme have a listen with them
tongue.gif
I want a pair...for beater electrostats but I want to have a listen first.

and after hearing them - if you want to sell your HE90 you know who to call
cool.gif

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back