KOSS A250 from KOSS eBay thread
Jun 13, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #346 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I think the $250 was MSRP?
Street prices were around $135.

I think?
Garrett

Sounds about right. Thanks. I remember the closeout at J&R as $100.

So if the A-250 came within shoutin' range of the HD 600, it was doin' pretty good even when it was new.

Not bad, Koss. Sorry I doubted ya. It was the packaging. That, and the old Pro4AA. And the ESP-6.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #347 of 701
Hey Dudes,
Anyone know of any other sources for these? Ebay is out, and they are listed but unavailable on Amazon. Now that I have a summer job, I cannot resist the call any longer.

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #348 of 701
Did everyone get their A250s promptly? I ordered mine last Wednesday, and UPS tracking has yet to go beyond "billing info received." I'm only in Madison, so I'm not far away at all...

I sent a message to Koss on ebay but I haven't gotten a response yet.

This is especially frustrating with my dt990s out of commission at the moment.
mad.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #350 of 701
I received mind exactly when it was scheduled.

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #351 of 701
On that note - my second pair's tracking also says "billing info received." No idea what that means, except that it was scheduled for today, and I haven't received it today.

I guess Koss are taking their time shipping them out. Oh well, no matter. As long as it gets here in a reasonable amount of time, I'm happy.

[P.S. now that the first pair has burned in a bit, it sounds positively magical with electronic music on my old MG Head. The same bass that was bloated on the Senns is tight but nicely full on the A250. The highs are nicely shimmering and have a higher resolution than those on the Senns; cymbal textures are far more prominent. Every cymbal hit sounds unique and delineated, as opposed to the general "tssssk" sound I get from the Senns, where every cymbal hit sounds pretty much the same. The midrange coloration together with an upwards tilt in frequency response make them sound very, well, light and a bit thin, but then the strong bass kicks in, so overall they are a little bit disjointed, especially in relation to the ultra-coherent Senns. But, in electronic music, where midrange colorations are less relevant, they definitely outperform the Senns by a good margin. Soundstage is also bigger, and imaging is sharper. Soundstage height is especially impressive. I need to send them in to Koss to fix the broken clip, but that means that I'll have to live without them for a week or two. Bah!]

Jun 14, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #352 of 701
Does anyone know how the shipping discount (for buying multiple items) works?

The discount seems to be automatically calculated for buying multiple items from the same auction, but I can't figure out how it is supposed to work for different items.

I am trying to buy a A130 and a BKH3 (rebranded KSC55), but I don't see how I can buy the two together with one payment. Buying each one requires immediate paypal payment with automatically calculated total cost, so I would end up paying regular shipping for both (I think).
confused.gif

I tried asking the seller, but they don't seem to want to answer me.
mad.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #353 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok

The discount seems to be automatically calculated for buying multiple items from the same auction, but I can't figure out how it is supposed to work for different items.

I am trying to buy a A130 and a BKH3 (rebranded KSC55), but I don't see how I can buy the two together with one payment. Buying each one requires immediate paypal payment with automatically calculated total cost, so would I end up paying regular shipping for both (I think).
confused.gif

mad.gif

I think they've gotten themselves a bit behind schedule there at Koss. They'll get back to you - in the mean time, it doesn't look like they're going to run out of 130's.

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #354 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Curious what amps are you guys using with your A250?

The sound great with my Millet, earmax and guzzler G-moy. My pimeta and mints are too harsh and aggressive.

I just got mine today (I guess it's yesterday now) and WOW! They definitely have the Koss 60 ohm sound but taken to a level none of the others have ever even dreamed of. I am using mine with an older model Total Airhead which is pretty warm sounding and they sound spectacular. I am also using a 75 ohm adapter, after all, they are Koss 60 ohm drivers.

Right now I'm listening to Steve Tibbetts "YR" CD, which is instrumental jazz guitar with lots of percussion. It is one of my all-time favorite CD's and I have listened to it countless times but I have never heard it like this before. The detail is amazing! As many times as I have listened to this CD I am still hearing thing I never did before.

I am so glad I decided to pull the trigger on these. For all those that got a pair, congrats! For all those who didn't, kick yourselves right in the butt. Because these are truly a deal of a lifetime!!

a250smile7tw3rf.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #355 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok

I am trying to buy a A130 and a BKH3 (rebranded KSC55), but I don't see how I can buy the two together with one payment. Buying each one requires immediate paypal payment with automatically calculated total cost, so I would end up paying regular shipping for both (I think).
confused.gif

mad.gif

They refund the shipping cost for one of the items to your account.

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #356 of 701
Just checked my tracking number again, and my A250s are out for delivery!

Koss sent them out last night, apparently.

Can't wait...arrr new gear high
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #357 of 701
With no more A250s available, things have slowed down a little bit in this Koss Bargain Hunter thread, so let me offer a juicy tid-bit or two to stir the pot.

As you may recall, I am one of the few (only?) people who went ahead and bought both the A250 and the A130. Well, I have now burned in each pair of headphones for around 80 hours (most of them pretty hard), and the sound of each has improved a lot. But I have to say, the real star here for me is definitely the A130.

I'm fairly certain that both models use the same driver, and they sound quite similar. The peculiar thing is that the differences in sound that I reported initially have pretty much exactly reversed post-burnin. I do not pretend to understand this phenomenon. The A130's bass sounds fuller and more resonant, and the highs are now noticably less fatiguing to my ears. I find the A250s a little harsh by comparison, and hear much more sibilance from them than through the A130s. Also, while both models still retain a little of the FR dip towards the upper and lower ends of the middle range that I've reported on in the past, I find the effect to be a little less pronounced in the A130.

They do have some clamping force, though. Enough to give me a bit of a headache after 30 minutes or so. I'm hoping they loosen up a little, but I'm hesitant to try to bend them out, due to the cheapness of the materials.

I still haven't seen anyone else reporting on this fantastic set of headphones; have I missed anything? Who else has gotten their A130s and what do you think, especially in comparison to the A250s?

Jun 14, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #358 of 701
Like Catscratch, I too have suffered the agony of a broken earpiece latch. The spring, whatever it looks like, has dissolved into the ether but all the other parts are accounted for. The box that contains the spring and latch is simply glued on, and not very securely. Right now mine's blobbed over with hot glue, but I don't expect that to last. I'm strongly fighting the idea of spending even $6 more on these %$@#! things, but might have to give in.

Either baby those babies, or else be proactive, whatever that means, and smother the area in epoxy or pull it apart and carefully reglue. PITA.

Jun 14, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #359 of 701
I'm not really sure if there is supposed to be a spring there; to me it seems to be just a little prodruding latch inside the slot that the earpiece hooks into. One of the cups fell off of mine and at first I thought they were broken. After fiddling around with them a little, however, I was able to get the cup to latch back into the headband and it hasn't come back off since. If you look inside the slot, you can see where one end of the little bracket there is recessed just barely enough to slide the metal connector on the earcup past it. When it goes in, you can hear a click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back