KOSS A250 from KOSS eBay thread
Jun 10, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #316 of 701
Still patiently waiting for mine to arrive at the door. I hope these are as good as everyone is saying, it'll be fun comparing to my other cans and I definitely need a good late-night DVD set. From what I can gather here it sounds like these might make a good can for my metal.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #317 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Why not buy a pair and see? I mean, it's not like they're gonna run out - there are 92 - yes, that's ninety-two pairs available. Imagine the damage if they had 92 a250's available...
eek.gif

Seriously, though, to answer the question, where is out friend Dave with his orange sauce to chime in?

Just looking for a headphone that blocks out more ambient noise than my A500's..and possibly sound better. I know the HD280's are the best in that isolation department, but i heard about comfort issues as well as head band cracking.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #318 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
I have a question, how is the stage on the the 250s compared to other cans? I can get ALOT better one than with my previous cans, but I think Im expecting speaker level staging, and I just have to get use to HPs.

On another note I found that having your ears at the top of the pads seems to make the highs alot brighter, but when lower it really muddies the sound, could just be my ears tho.

-greg

I think the soundstage on the A250's is quite good. Definitely near the level of the HD580's. Not sure if that means much to you, but they are not the in-your-head sound of Grado for sure.

Jun 10, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #319 of 701
Now is the ripe time to ask this... Is anyone using them as portable yet ?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #320 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
Now is the ripe time to ask this... Is anyone using them as portable yet ?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well they seem almost as power hungry as my K601's, using my Gilmore Lite, which seems strange with the 60 ohm rating...though I can drive my K601 with my Sony PCDP, just with the volume set much higher than say with my HF-1.

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #321 of 701
Oh darn it. Am I too late to grab a pair of these? I don't see them on Koss's Ebay Outlet store anymore...
frown.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #322 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by prona
Oh darn it. Am I too late to grab a pair of these? I don't see them on Koss's Ebay Outlet store anymore...
frown.gif

Sorry, all gone...for now... Though, actually, I bet you can make an a130 into an (almost) a250 by drilling lots of holes in the rear panels. Seriously!

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #323 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Sorry, all gone...for now... Though, actually, I bet you can make an a130 into an (almost) a250 by drilling lots of holes in the rear panels. Seriously!

That sort of defeats the purpose of getting the A130 in the first place
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #324 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
That sort of defeats the purpose of getting the A130 in the first place
wink.gif

Ya but there are ~90 left last I checked, and ZERO A250's left...it doesn't look like they are going to throw more the of A250's up either.

Jun 11, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #327 of 701
Today I had the change to go over to Mikes to hear a wide variety of stuff. One thing that I found awsome was the 250s on a tube amp. It chilled out the slight peaky highs and transformed them into some chill cans.

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #328 of 701
Just a quickie. I wanted to ballpark the sound of these two separated-at-birth 'phones before launching into a pretentious, tendentious, adventitious and pernicious bunch of blather about the esoteric aspects of headphone listening, which I'm liable to do any time. Compared to the A-250, my refurb HD 600 sounds nocturnal, mellow, a little bottom heavy but pleasantly so, like a rich dark cup of syrupy french-roast coffee made in a Vietnamese press and drunk from a cobalt-blue cup. Highs go way up there but recede as they go up like the side of a skyscraper seen from ground level.

Well, I warned you.

Compared to the HD 600, the A-250 sounds very awake, alert, American; not quite bright but almost, dare I say it, old-school Sennheiserish. Bass is comparable but not as round, mellow and voluptuous. It's surprisingly good, a stinkin' deal at $44 shipped, but you already knew that.

There's nothing missing with either 'phone. The Senns are more like seductive aristocrats; they stand back. You're almost overhearing the hired help (in this case the Berlin Philharmonic) saw away at some Beethoven in the conservatory while you enjoy a glass of wine in the library. If you listen, you can hear everything, but it's at a discreet distance. With the Kosses you're whisked right up to a point just behind the conductor's scalp.

Having said all that (whew!), here's the kicker: they don't sound THAT much different. The Senns are basically flat and tilt up at the bass end, and the Koss, just as flat, simply tilt the other way.

Still breaking the Koss in, although I don't expect much more change in their sound. The Senns have been in daily use for months now here at The Lab (we found a sound card that'll drive them adequately) and can be considered well and truly broken in.

The Senns seem a couple of dB more efficient. Not much, and it's almost program-dependent.

So are the Koss the Retail Buy of the Year? It's starting to look that way, but it's early days yet.

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #329 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta

here's the kicker: they don't sound THAT much different. The Senns are basically flat and tilt up at the bass end, and the Koss, just as flat, simply tilt the other way.

I think they are two vastly different phones.
Generally I think the A250's are more for agressive music: jazz, rock, blue. However, I think they are too dry and harsh for female vocals. On that mark I think the Senn very much trumps over them.

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #330 of 701
Holy Cow!! Has anyone else listened to Clapton unplugged?... WOW Center stage sounds incredible. Lively, dynamic and ever-so present. Very Grado-like.

Youre surrounded however by a vast crowd, with a sense of both near and far field separation I previously have not heard in either my RS1, HF1 or HD580.

Is it just me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back