Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Aug 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #46 of 1,681
  Got back from a festival and first thing that I had to see on head-fi was this...
**** me -  29$-DAP, which can drive ER4S and Havi B3?! 
eek.gif

No international availability 
eek.gif
 -> 
frown.gif

How long did it last with the ER4S?

I ran ER4S for about 30 minutes with a few London Grammar tracks, didn't lose any battery bars. To keep things in perspective I'll always state ER4S properly driven (from a nice amp) will sound much better, as I've heard them in such a way, though Kogan was driving them to suitable levels but so can a Clip+ (suitable levels) I know when ER4S are being under driven or sound stale from a weak source, wasn't the case. You'd think it would just cap out in volume and hit a low ceiling, I was surprised too.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #47 of 1,681

I ran ER4S for about 30 minutes with a few London Grammar tracks, didn't lose any battery bars. To keep things in perspective I'll always state ER4S properly driven (from a nice amp) will sound much better, as I've heard them in such a way, though Kogan was driving them to suitable levels but so can a Clip+ (suitable levels) I know when ER4S are being under driven or sound stale from a weak source, wasn't the case. You'd think it would just cap out in volume and hit a low ceiling, I was surprised too.

Will definitely buy one when they start to sell it outside of AU.
Forwarding services would raise the price way too much, so have to wait.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #50 of 1,681
Just got mine in today, pleasantly surprised. 13/30 volume drives my AKG Q701 to decent enough listening levels. The player is also much lighter than I expected. So far, I'm liking it more than my Clip+, will have to compare more to my C3 to see whether the Kogan overtakes my C3 as my portable player. 

As for the UI - It's a bit laggy, I would go so far as to say that it's slightly slower than my C3, but the microSD card plug and play ability is great. No loading time, and the startup time is really fast as well. Definitely more user friendly.

Oh, one tiny gripe, though. When you want to scroll up and down, it's actually the left and right buttons that you use. Probably going to take a moment to adjust to, but my brain just kept getting confused when attempting to adjust the date and time at the very start. Not a big deal, but slightly counter-intuitive nonetheless.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #51 of 1,681
I'm looking forward to getting a Kogan 8GB MP4. I guess I just like different players to mess with. I actually like learning to get used to a new sound signature. Even though I have an IPod Touch 5G and iPhones I like my $3 MP3 player.

At first I thought the sound sig was too dark, still now I'm into it except for the fact that the battery last only 3 hours. I would guess the Kogan is made in China?

I figure that someday people will figure out you don't need to spend a lot to get a nice DAP?

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-metal-Player-supports-Micro/dp/B006DX0K0I

This is taking low cost to a whole new level. Still reading the reviews, it sounds like only half of the units shipped actually work.LOL

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #52 of 1,681
I'm looking forward to getting a Kogan 8GB MP4. I guess I just like different players to mess with. I actually like learning to get used to a new sound signature. Even though I have an IPod Touch 5G and iPhones I like my $3 MP3 player.

At first I thought the sound sig was too dark, still now I'm into it except for the fact that the battery last only 3 hours. I would guess the Kogan is made in China?

I figure that someday people will figure out you don't need to spend a lot to get a nice DAP?

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-metal-Player-supports-Micro/dp/B006DX0K0I

This is taking low cost to a whole new level. Still reading the reviews, it sounds like only half of the units shipped actually work.LOL

The Kogan is made in China (printed on the back). It's also surprisingly user-friendly (other than the left/right instead of up/down buttons being used), and is REALLY light coming from DAPS like the Colorfly C3, Hisound DAPs and so on. It's going to replace my C3 as my carry-around player to Uni, and more importantly, it drives harder to drive cans relatively well (Havi B3, Q701). 

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #53 of 1,681
The Kogan is made in China (printed on the back). It's also surprisingly user-friendly (other than the left/right instead of up/down buttons being used), and is REALLY light coming from DAPS like the Colorfly C3, Hisound DAPs and so on. It's going to replace my C3 as my carry-around player to Uni, and more importantly, it drives harder to drive cans relatively well (Havi B3, Q701). 

I am looking forward to hearing it drive the tough players like AKG k701s. We truly live in amazing times, I just don't remember or just never interfaced with powerful small amps till recently. The JDS Labs C421 actually drives the AKGs well. And amazingly weight now days is not a factor. These feather weight amps can still put out the juice. I can't weight for my Aussie friend to fly in! Cheers!

What next, maybe high-end DAPs will be included free in cereal boxes? LOL:p

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #54 of 1,681
Just got mine today from Kogan...Charging at the minute. On first looks it not only has the cool looks but also feels snug in my hand with the rubber like backing, it wont slip out of your hands thats for sure. Very light weight added bonus. Now cant wait to hear what this little guy can sound like,

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #55 of 1,681
wow H20 wasn't kidding - got mine today and after charging it for about 2h, it sounds as good as described and it is indeed very light.

I'm only wondering how to use playlists (bulk add all the ext card folders to a playlist and shuffle all (not add individual songs))

http://www.kogan.com/media/files/usermanuals/KAMP4PL8GBA-A.pdf = user guide but kinda not quite the same one (no flac support listed even though it's present and EQ/sound opions listed that are not present on the player)

ps it does work with 128gb msdxc, just a bit slow to load (<30s)

I do get the sense kogan rebranded a nice sound mp4 Chinese player - but who cares (unless we're going to do firmware rolling :wink: )

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #57 of 1,681
wow H20 wasn't kidding - got mine today and after charging it for about 2h, it sounds as good as described and it is indeed very light.

I'm only wondering how to use playlists (bulk add all the ext card folders to a playlist and shuffle all (not add individual songs))

http://www.kogan.com/media/files/usermanuals/KAMP4PL8GBA-A.pdf = user guide but kinda not quite the same one (no flac support listed even though it's present and EQ/sound opions listed that are not present on the player)

ps it does work with 128gb msdxc, just a bit slow to load (<30s)

I do get the sense kogan rebranded a nice sound mp4 Chinese player - but who cares (unless we're going to do firmware rolling
wink.gif
)

syvr, if you're talking about EQ options actually existing, if you're playing a song, press the M button, and there will be the option to choose different EQ/ play modes etc. If you're talking about specific EQ modes, then ignore this post.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #58 of 1,681
Glad to hear some of you guys are enjoying the player.

Just quickly: 

All audio formats have been tested by myself working fine: WMA, APE, FLAC, MP3.

Video format tested working fine: AVI (was watching some South Park)

OTG Storage has been tested and is a negative (doesn't work)

And just to be safe guys, be sure to keep your packaging as it's required if a returns ever needed with the 12 month warranty.  Just throw it under your bed or something.

beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #59 of 1,681
Wow very surprised, this player rocks!!!. Hey H20 Fidelity, how can you listen at those insane volume levels? Im at level 15 & its way loud....12 is my ideal.
Maybe my ears are sensitive or something...
Getting back to the player.....For $29 This has to be the bargain of the year!!!! So spacious, lacking nothing. & im listening thru my Tenores.
Im smitten with this sexy thang......

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #60 of 1,681
  Wow very surprised, this player rocks!!!. Hey H20 Fidelity, how can you listen at those insane volume levels? Im at level 15 & its way loud....12 is my ideal.
Maybe my ears are sensitive or something...
Getting back to the player.....For $29 This has to be the bargain of the year!!!! So spacious, lacking nothing. & im listening thru my Tenores.
Im smitten with this sexy thang......

Hmm, I'm quite addicted to clarity and detail, I find higher volumes give me.... more? Keep in mind when I lay down at night I'm not blasting the player at high volume fulltime, there is a sensible environment for most parts. I tend to have little mini sessions and blast a few tracks like a shot of overproof whiskey (for example testing something). It also depends on the IEM / headphone impedance and sensitivity. About 18-19 is by sweet spot with Kogan, but lower late at night. My ears tell me what's going on. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back