KODA^2 - König's Ortho Dynamic Acrylic Headphones
Dec 22, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #107 of 203
A Waterfall CSD sounds incredibly exciting and the KODA^2 should fare really well in that kind of test because it's should be as resonance free as they come.

I would like that - i'll try to contact this guy to see if he is interested :)

I would like some in depth review too though - I regard subjective listening test even more than theoretical measurements. I do see the use for both and find both very important. Sound stage, texture, sound signature, comfort etc. doesn't really show on the theoretical tests :)  

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #110 of 203
They have arrived!! Beautiful.  I'll measure them next week, and they'll be ready to ship somewhere by the end of the week. 

(Christmas has me quite busy with family this weekend, sorry.)

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #111 of 203
Will you post some listening impressions before then?? I would hope they beckon to be listened to asap! 

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #112 of 203

Quote:
They have arrived!! Beautiful.  I'll measure them next week, and they'll be ready to ship somewhere by the end of the week. 

(Christmas has me quite busy with family this weekend, sorry.)

That is very good news! One is always worried that the postal service loose it or smash it up badly :)

The KODA^2 you received was the first I finished and the veneer type didn't really work the way I hoped - so they are not as good looking as the three other set I made. Also, the red indicator for right, is actually on the left side - opposed to the others sets :) 

But the sound should be the same - and that's why I made these the review and test set :D

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #113 of 203
Good news - 

I just got hold of 4 more sets of T50rp's and I will start making 4 more sets of KODA^2 - Expect 3 weeks before I have them made... I would have made more, but I could only manage to get the 4 sets. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #114 of 203
Excellent to hear. I highly look forward to receiving my set. Your work is beautiful with these, and I'm sure they'll sound as great as they look.

-cheers

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #118 of 203

Just a little warning - As I expected when sending them to Tyll at Inner Fidelity, they were not completely neutral or linear. I haven't read words yet, but I've had a little indication from him. They have a dip in the mids. However, I don't think that is a very good way to describe it - because the KODA^1 was much closer to neutral, but then again a bit boring. So I found a way to emphasize the bass and treble a bit, to make a more colorful and lively sound signature. 

The way this was achieved was to open the bass port a little more to emphasize the lower end of the bass - and to include a reflector spot behind the driver to "add" a little more detail to the music, by echoing the treble back to the ear. 

Due to the laws of physics - this will show as a dip in the mids. You cannot enhance a part of the frequency without suppressing another part.

I thought about changing this back to the original and more neutral design of the KODA^1 and this actually made me a bit depressed and thinking about abandoning the whole project - at least for a while. 

Why you might ask? Because I really really like how the KODA^2 sounds. It just sounds so right to me, compared to the more neutral scheme of the KODA^1. Yes, it's easy for me to hear that the bass is heavier than, say the K701 or HD600. But it's just so much fun to listen to. I think this is because there is so much detail and clarity combined with a big sound stage and good instrument separation - add these qualities to a frequency response with a dip in the mids - and you have something that I find very fun and enjoyable to listen to. Only time will tell if others share my taste.

That said - I do have a solution for anyone who wan't to have a set of KODA^2 that has a more neutral frequency response. This is actually something that can be done in 5-10 minutes using just basic tools. The procedure is this:

1. Open the headphones 
2. Cover 1/3 if the bass ports - make sure you cover them equally on each side.
3. Cut out a piece of soft cloth, like velour and glue it to the reflection dot, changing this to a soft surface.
4. Close the headphones again.

This small and easy mod will make them much more neutral and linear with less emphasized bass and just a tad less treble. I like the standard setup better - but maybe most others will like the neutrality more.

So to conclude - 
I know the KODA^2 are a bit colored and uses some acoustic tricks to make for a less correct and more fun experience (IMO). I will not change this, because it seems wrong for me to try achieve something that I don't like personally - but I will give you the option to choose between the original KODA^2 or the KODA^2 with the more neutral setup - or change it yourself if you like.

The KODA^2 test sample is on it's way to Head-Fi user Frank I - he promised to give his impressions or a short review. From there, they will head to other Head-Fi'ers within the US. I really look forward to reading impressions from other users - criticism too.

And I would like to thank Tyll for his huge expertise and taking the time to measure them out for me and others to read about.

Happy New Year
Head-Fi'ers! 

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #119 of 203
I can't wait to hear the first impressions of these headphones. I think it's quite a joy that there are people out there willing to start making their own headphones .. :)

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #120 of 203

Quote:

Just a little warning - As I expected when sending them to Tyll at Inner Fidelity, they were not completely neutral or linear. I haven't read words yet, but I've had a little indication from him. They have a dip in the mids. However, I don't think that is a very good way to describe it - because the KODA^1 was much closer to neutral, but then again a bit boring. So I found a way to emphasize the bass and treble a bit, to make a more colorful and lively sound signature. 

The way this was achieved was to open the bass port a little more to emphasize the lower end of the bass - and to include a reflector spot behind the driver to "add" a little more detail to the music, by echoing the treble back to the ear. 

Due to the laws of physics - this will show as a dip in the mids. You cannot enhance a part of the frequency without suppressing another part.

I thought about changing this back to the original and more neutral design of the KODA^1 and this actually made me a bit depressed and thinking about abandoning the whole project - at least for a while. 

Why you might ask? Because I really really like how the KODA^2 sounds. It just sounds so right to me, compared to the more neutral scheme of the KODA^1. Yes, it's easy for me to hear that the bass is heavier than, say the K701 or HD600. But it's just so much fun to listen to. I think this is because there is so much detail and clarity combined with a big sound stage and good instrument separation - add these qualities to a frequency response with a dip in the mids - and you have something that I find very fun and enjoyable to listen to. Only time will tell if others share my taste.

That said - I do have a solution for anyone who wan't to have a set of KODA^2 that has a more neutral frequency response. This is actually something that can be done in 5-10 minutes using just basic tools. The procedure is this:

1. Open the headphones 
2. Cover 1/3 if the bass ports - make sure you cover them equally on each side.
3. Cut out a piece of soft cloth, like velour and glue it to the reflection dot, changing this to a soft surface.
4. Close the headphones again.

This small and easy mod will make them much more neutral and linear with less emphasized bass and just a tad less treble. I like the standard setup better - but maybe most others will like the neutrality more.

So to conclude - 
I know the KODA^2 are a bit colored and uses some acoustic tricks to make for a less correct and more fun experience (IMO). I will not change this, because it seems wrong for me to try achieve something that I don't like personally - but I will give you the option to choose between the original KODA^2 or the KODA^2 with the more neutral setup - or change it yourself if you like.

The KODA^2 test sample is on it's way to Head-Fi user Frank I - he promised to give his impressions or a short review. From there, they will head to other Head-Fi'ers within the US. I really look forward to reading impressions from other users - criticism too.

And I would like to thank Tyll for his huge expertise and taking the time to measure them out for me and others to read about.

Happy New Year
Head-Fi'ers! 

I will be doing a review on these and expect it around end of January and I am looking forward to hearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back