DUO / 2DD
PIANIST / 2BA+1DD
POLARIS / 1DD
RHAPSODY / 4BA+2DD
TRIO /3DD
HYDRO /8BA+2DD

May 22, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #64,144 of 64,372
A little update

Nice! That's very interesting to see the progression listed out like that. I have only succumbed to 4 pair of KZ and 3 pair of CCA, with 1 KZ in the mail. Less than 10 pairs! So many of you here have 30-40+. :-o

that all?

right?! lol

----------------------

Castor Harman's have cleared customs. Hopefully they arrive in a few days so I'm retraining my psycho-acoustics against my last working DD set, the CRAs. Currently listening to Amazon's Ultra HD service with the Hellfire PowerDAC 2.1 lighting up my humble CRA's over a balanced cable at full 24bit @ 44 kHz full send FLAC on a downloaded track.

After sleeping on these for so long (literally, these are my nightstand pair), I'm still rediscovering how good of a voice these actually have when scaled up a bit. No funny business here in the timbre when rendering flutes and strings and horns. I am, of course, cheating ... juuuuust a tiny boost at 416 and 770 hz to thicken up the bottom mids, then some help at 11.5 and 15 kHz to open up the stage and air. The veil lifts and the instruments sing through in a fluid and dreamy lean back experience.

The CRA Pros and PR3 are calling out to me but I'm not in any hurry.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 160938.png

link: https://music.amazon.fr/albums/B0CX258SQW?trackAsin=B0CX26NX5F&ref=dm_sh_c55d-47e6-4bef-b9fc-cbfc2

--------------------------------------

A follow-on video to my post the other day about how loud 0.05 watts is for IEM. How loud is 1 watt per channel for floor speakers? Pearl Acoustics is a good channel for body-fi content. Of course, if you want to drive yourself absolutely mad, DO NOT start investigating folded horn loudspeakers. And if you don't want a divorce, don't start building your own.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #64,145 of 64,372
Nice! That's very interesting to see the progression listed out like that. I have only succumbed to 4 pair of KZ and 3 pair of CCA, with 1 KZ in the mail. Less than 10 pairs! So many of you here have 30-40+. :-o
Nowadays I have only few selected KZ Pokemons catched.

KZ: BA10, Castor Bass, D-Fi, DQ6S, Edx Pro X, ZVX, Ling long
CCA: Trio, HM20, CRA, Polaris.
Just 11.

Maybe in future I'm going to catch CCA Hydro. But do I need it? I don't know. I like this cheap ones.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #64,146 of 64,372

KZ: BA10, Castor Bass, D-Fi, DQ6S, Edx Pro X, ZVX, Ling long
CCA: Trio, HM20, CRA, Polaris.
Just 11.

Maybe in future I'm going to catch CCA Hydro. But do I need it? I don't know.

Nobody here in this forum "needs" more IEMs.

But we buy more and more. Almost all guys secretly hide the packages from their wifes.

Why do we do this?
Because it's bloody fun!

May 22, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #64,147 of 64,372
Nobody here in this forum "needs" more IEMs.

But we buy more and more. Almost all guys secretly hide the packages from their wifes.

Why do we do this?
Because it's bloody fun!
I would prefer KZ to provide low-cost iems with higher and higher quality, because in my opinion iems should not be too expensive.

May 22, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #64,149 of 64,372
Haha yeah, for now I'm content switching between ZVX, PR3 and AS16 Pro, with the rest of my iems sitting in a box until who knows when(maybe until I'm too deaf to hear whatever I didn't like in them), but I'm certain I'm gonna get another one eventually. After all, I'm yet to catch a CCA pokemon

May 22, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #64,150 of 64,372
20230406_182154.jpg
Added a cap and a 30095 to the ZVX to improve the speed, bass impact and resolution. This is even better than CCA version. (Ok I forgot what it is called and too lazy to check) the design of the ZVX is pretty silly however if look at that unnecessarily tight tolerance of the positive pin right next to the cut opening.
Hello! I just joined so I could ask you about this. Hi-Fri mentioned in his ZVX video that it had space for a BA and I thought it would be a cool project to get started with BAs. I've retuned single DDs and planar in the past but never BAs, last time I tried a hybrid it sounded off to me and the BA timbre was whack, but this mod you've done seems cool and fun!

May I ask some questions? I see that you used a capacitor or resistor, the little brown box, did you also use damping or tubes to guide the sound to the nozzle? Also, just how competitive does it sound? Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask here or if you've already shared it but I could find no more info and I'm super curious. Thanks in advance!

May 22, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #64,151 of 64,372
Hello! I just joined so I could ask you about this. Hi-Fri mentioned in his ZVX video that it had space for a BA and I thought it would be a cool project to get started with BAs. I've retuned single DDs and planar in the past but never BAs, last time I tried a hybrid it sounded off to me and the BA timbre was whack, but this mod you've done seems cool and fun!

May I ask some questions? I see that you used a capacitor or resistor, the little brown box, did you also use damping or tubes to guide the sound to the nozzle? Also, just how competitive does it sound? Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask here or if you've already shared it but I could find no more info and I'm super curious. Thanks in advance!
Hi, I used both a cap and a resistor. There's no space for a damper or a tube. The slot is directly connected to the front cavity of the DD so you can only electronically tune it. I dampened it to give the sound just a bit more texture and if you don't dampen it enough you will hear all the BA timbre. You can also try using a standard mesh filter paper and glue it to the BA nozzle but that will be a little tricky.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #64,153 of 64,372
Hi, I used both a cap and a resistor. There's no space for a damper or a tube. The slot is directly connected to the front cavity of the DD so you can only electronically tune it. I dampened it to give the sound just a bit more texture and if you don't dampen it enough you will hear all the BA timbre. You can also try using a standard mesh filter paper and glue it to the BA nozzle but that will be a little tricky.
Thank you for the reply! Got it. Glad there's passthrough between the BA slot and the front cavity. I wish the zvx driver was a tad more resolving but the bass is fun, hopefully this helps bring out more details! :)

May 23, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #64,154 of 64,372
Haha yeah, for now I'm content switching between ZVX, PR3 and AS16 Pro, with the rest of my iems sitting in a box until who knows when

Definitely, and the same thing happens if your collection of over-ears start to multiply like gremlins. You settle down on 2-4 pair that are close-by and reach consistently for 1 or 2 pair, because a) switching up all the time isn't very convenient, and b) brain burn-in is a real thing and can mask the finer points of some sets until your senses re-adjust to them, like trying to enjoy caviar after having a big piece of chocolate cake.

Ah, you've yet to learn the audiophile's secret code!

"Dearest, you are the light of my life and the fire of my loin, but the context of the situation is as follows. Some men are addicted to gambling. Some men spend all their time prowling the night in the deep grips of strong drink. Yet others spend all their time at the office, traveling for work, or both. You're angry that I collect audio gear to analyze and appreciate the multifaceted sonic complexities of Dvorak, Liszt, and Rachmaninoff in all of their glory whilst responsibly sipping a cognac followed by a single origin espresso here at home. Tell me, what vice or pleasure am I to turn toward that doesn't interfere with fatherhood, leave me vulnerable to temptations of the flesh, or disrupt my good employment? Oh, and by the way, I meant to give this to you earlier - it's the latest scent from Guerlain."

May 23, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #64,155 of 64,372

If you haven't seen it, there's also a DIY sub-section here on the forum :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back