Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #63,182 of 63,882
I just got the Technics AZ80. Besides being a little quiet on some songs, they sound great! But I would prefer a wired to have more control and using a Qudelix 5K. Any recommendations in the KZ line of similar capabilities? ANC not necessary. Thx!

It would help to know what type of sound signature you prefer (alternatively what type of music you listen to). What is your budget? What other IEMs do you like? Does it have to be KZ?

KZ Castor or ZS 10 Pro X and CCA Rhapsody are all decent options. :thinking:

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #63,183 of 63,882
Speaking of impedance adapters, it seems that PR2 v2 was tested with an impedance adapter and it gave interesting results (for a single driver iem), presumably due to the electronic filtering. If it also works like that in PR3, it seems getting a 10-20 ohm impedance adapter could be a good way to attenuate the treble if someone finds it too harsh. Sure, one could EQ, but then you gotta EQ on all devices with possibly different OS, different software, an adapter like this could simply be more convenient. I know there are cheap 15 Ohm ones on Ali, so I may try if I find the highs too annoying.
I tried a 30 Ohm adaptor with the PR3. It didn't work for me, it robbed the sound of its immediacy and reduced the transient attack, making the sound a little dull.

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #63,184 of 63,882
I tried a 30 Ohm adaptor with the PR3. It didn't work for me, it robbed the sound of its immediacy and reduced the transient attack, making the sound a little dull.
I see, although judging by the PR2 graph on the other forum I linked, 30 Ohm is probably way too much. 10 Ohm already made a huge difference, even more so 20 Ohm, anything higher than that wasn't even tested. Probably optimal would be something even less than 10 Ohm, but not sure if there are any adapters like that. Perhaps it'd have to go more into the realm of modding, one would have to open the shell and solder an extra 5-10 Ohm resitor resistor between the filter PCB and the 2 pin connector.

Although I don't know how exactly such adapter is constructed on the inside, it may not be just a simple resistor after all but a more complicated resistor network.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #63,185 of 63,882
I see, although judging by the PR2 graph on the other forum I linked, 30 Ohm is probably way too much. 10 Ohm already made a huge difference, even more so 20 Ohm, anything higher than that wasn't even tested. Probably optimal would be something even less than 10 Ohm, but not sure if there are any adapters like that. Perhaps it'd have to go more into the realm of modding, one would have to open the shell and solder an extra 5-10 Ohm resitor resistor between the filter PCB and the 2 pin connector.

Although I don't know how exactly such adapter is constructed on the inside, it may not be just a simple resistor after all but a more complicated resistor network.
better to change the filter to 500 mesh. I did this one time to my PR2 and it sounds slightly darker but feels way more natural.

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #63,186 of 63,882
It would help to know what type of sound signature you prefer (alternatively what type of music you listen to). What is your budget? What other IEMs do you like? Does it have to be KZ?

KZ Castor or ZS 10 Pro X and CCA Rhapsody are all decent options. :thinking:
I always like thumpy & hard hitting bass and sparkly highs. But for my other music, such as listening to dark or more powerful classical music, I want a nice soundstage spatially, instrument separation, and I like to hear the coarseness of the instruments. That's why I think the AZ80 accomplishes that but also it sounds upon placement that it's sealing quite well when using their XL tips which could be part of it. I just also got the KZ Castor which sounds too loose bass for this music, separation and soundstage seem weak, and instruments sound thin. I also got the KZ10 Pro X same time. Lol. The separation is better, but instruments don't sound nearly as good as AZ80. So looking for a nice wired IEM from KZ or equivalent that brings nice quality with great value. I'm hoping for spending $100-200, that gives me the value of a $500 IEM.. LOL.
I also have ordered the KZ PR1 Pro. Still waiting 4 weeks now from AliExpress.
I'll look into the CCA, but what else would you suggest?

Dec 1, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #63,189 of 63,882
Ordered PR3 (on kztws.com for 31 USD, mic version) on Nov 14; stamp in the box bottom is Nov 18; got it today (in Hungary). Fast shipping, I say !

Testing is ahead of me.

Dec 1, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #63,190 of 63,882
IMG_20231201_185447.jpg

Just received mine in India.
Ordered from Official KZ site,pre sale price,Impulse Buy honestly.
These are my first Planar IEMs,so I can't do any comparison,sorry.

First Impressions:
Classic Planar Sound.Reminds me of my old HiFiMan HE-400i(the OG one) IEM wise reminds me of the Dunu EST112 which I had for more than a year.

Very detailed,layered sound.
Average soundstage.
Sweet Vocals.
Controlled bass,maybe a bit slow.
Not sharp/piercing.
No channel imbalance.

Efficiency:
Sony WM-1AM2: 100/120 on 4.4 High Gain.
FiiO K7: 60/100 on Balanced.

Dec 1, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #63,191 of 63,882
Ordered PR3 (on kztws.com for 31 USD, mic version) on Nov 14; stamp in the box bottom is Nov 18; got it today (in Hungary). Fast shipping, I say !

Testing is ahead of me.

Mine just arrived. Super fast to Ireland. Listening to them now. First planar set. Its stage is excellent. Super wide. Dry. Detailed. Really clear is the only way I can describe them. Very different from the Castor Harmon. Much more clinical and clean. I like them.

Attachments

• IMG20231201133127.jpg
    IMG20231201133127.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 1, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #63,192 of 63,882
KZ PR3 has just too much treble for me. Mid and bass is like PR2, but the very highs (probably above 8-10 kHz) are just too much for me. I believe this set could be a good one after EQ.

I just listened to "Giftig" and "Adieu" from Rammstein.

Verdict: KZ PR3 has to go; no more blind buy from KZ. (had all versions of PR1, ZS10Pro, CCA CRA; have both version of PR2 (later one has to go) and ZNA (cheap spare set) )

Dec 1, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #63,193 of 63,882
KZ PR3 has just too much treble for me. Mid and bass is like PR2, but the very highs (probably above 8-10 kHz) are just too much for me. I believe this set could be a good one after EQ.

I just listened to "Giftig" and "Adieu" from Rammstein.

Verdict: KZ PR3 has to go; no more blind buy from KZ. (had all versions of PR1, ZS10Pro, CCA CRA; have both version of PR2 (later one has to go) and ZNA (cheap spare set) )
Did you test it with foam tips?
I didn't experience much different between PR2v2 and PR3 - maybe the mids are more present, probably too have a higher sensitivity, measured at 1kHz ...

Dec 1, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #63,194 of 63,882
Did you test it with foam tips?
I didn't experience much different between PR2v2 and PR3 - maybe the mids are more present, probably too have a higher sensitivity, measured at 1kHz ...
Foam tips are, let me phrase it that way, not for me.
Yep, it is very close to PR2v2 - I have that and want to sell that, too :wink: .

Also I have a PR2v1, which is quite good (I use it on AZ09 Pro while I walk or cook).

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #63,195 of 63,882
Mine just arrived. Super fast to Ireland. Listening to them now. First planar set. Its stage is excellent. Super wide. Dry. Detailed. Really clear is the only way I can describe them. Very different from the Castor Harmon. Much more clinical and clean. I like them.
Yes, I agree. Staging is really good, excellent clarity and detail and solid bass. Review coming soon. Perhaps someone could create a product page in the showcase for the PR3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back