Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 16, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #62,041 of 63,916
I got the PR2 and while I like the clarity a lot, the volume out of my LG V30 is too low. This isn't a surprise. So I'm looking to amp up.

The main issue is I don't like portable amps because they're too big or awkward to carry.

I saw Fiio had very small amps (E5 and E6 I think). Would these provide enough additional power, or should I suck it up and get a larger amp like a Fiio or topping roughly the size of a phone?
Get balanced cable and BTR7 and you will be fine
supposedly, any of the latest DualDAC/AMP with balanced out dongle works as most of those will have power north of 250mW

unless you wanna carry bigger portable amp with 500mW+ power, those Balanced out dongles/bluetooth dongle would be fine.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #62,042 of 63,916
I got the PR2 and while I like the clarity a lot, the volume out of my LG V30 is too low. This isn't a surprise. So I'm looking to amp up.

The main issue is I don't like portable amps because they're too big or awkward to carry.

I saw Fiio had very small amps (E5 and E6 I think). Would these provide enough additional power, or should I suck it up and get a larger amp like a Fiio or topping roughly the size of a phone?

The following might be of use and save you the money:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30-v35-v40-v50-v60.868978/

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #62,043 of 63,916
I tried an f.audio ks01 and it was still struggling

I find it curious that the PR2 would struggle with that DAC-AMP dongle, because of the following - this was taken from its product page:

-175586-691816581.jpg

I've driven it with a 1.6Vrms DAC-AMP dongle that'll push 60mW into 32 Ohms/7.4mW into 600 Ohms, and it'll drive it to a very high volume level. However, I did have adjust the Preamp/Gain settings in my music app before it could. It doesn't clip, by the way, as I've Replay Gain enabled as well.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #62,044 of 63,916

This!

Just look up on that thread how to trigger Aux Mode (or High Impedance if you must) in V30 and you'll be fine.
If you are using an impedance adapter to trick HI mode be sure to understand the procedure and remove it from the chain after triggering HI and before start listening. The impedance adapter left in the chain will alter the sound profile, maybe for the worst.

I'm using PR2 v2 + Starlines + V30 in Aux Mode (at vol step 40 it's just about right) and it works very well.
I don't feel like eq'ing mine. Possibly unit variation or my ears/age tolerance.

Jun 16, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #62,045 of 63,916

Hi, I have quite powerfull E1DA 9038s (balanced) and it is not enough to drive PR2 properly (treble peaks, bloaty bass,...). I have to add external powerbank into the setup (this is advantage of dongles without a tail), now PR2 takes as much power as it needs.

Jun 16, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #62,046 of 63,916
Hi, I have quite powerfull E1DA 9038s (balanced) and it is not enough to drive PR2 properly (treble peaks, bloaty bass,...). I have to add external powerbank into the setup (this is advantage of dongles without a tail), now PR2 takes as much power as it needs.
How much and what are the improvements with powerbank?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #62,047 of 63,916
I'm over the moon with mine now I've spent a few days fine tuning them with EQ. If you have the power these can give out a lot of bass as well, although it doesn't have the impact of a DD, it's full of detail and texture.

Everyone's treble region from like 2000hz seems to measure quite differently, especially for V2, I found it's really worth spending time getting the region right with lots and lots of listening.

Before EQ I was happy with the bass but the male vocal had no texture and sounded thin. Plus is some songs T's and S's were sibilant and the upper treble was just a bit odd and have everything a wired timbre. Now I've got them sounding great all across the frequency and they easily sound a lot more than they're purchase price.

I'd genuinely say to look elsewhere if you don't want to EQ though, especially if you're used to better tuning.
Indeed, full of detail and texture, well worth the price (and more) despite the KZ "fixes". I don't like to EQ, but it can definitely help, and instead use physical dampening to reduce ear gain to below 10dB, and also treble above 3kHz. Mine wasn't sibilant at all OOTB, even without the nozzle filter.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #62,048 of 63,916
Today I visited the town of Sibilance with the population of KZ PR2 v2 and saw its famous peak of mount Treble...

No eartips alone can save it for me. So far, seanwee's graph EQ'd to HBB target and anaveragebear's EQ (pg. 4122) work well but I hope I can find something even better.

Compared to my humble TRN v90, PR2 starts to show it's strength only at higher volumes, the different sounds don't collapse into an incoherent mess as much there. I'm not impressed with technicalities, stage and layering is not much of an upgrade though I might be limited by the cheap JM6 Pro DAC. Slightly better details and there's some texture to the bass. An upgrade but not as big as I expected, nothing about it wow'd me. Despite everything it might still be the best 40$ buy right now if one is going to EQ. Looks like needing a 100$ DAC for this 40$ IEM isn't an exaggeration.

Edit: the treble is kinda growing on me 😁 maybe that's the burn in.

Another edit: I did a near 180 of my initial impressions. Somehow what seemed ear piercing and sibilant now doesn't bother me. Gotta do more listening to make sense of things.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #62,049 of 63,916
Get balanced cable and BTR7 and you will be fine
supposedly, any of the latest DualDAC/AMP with balanced out dongle works as most of those will have power north of 250mW

unless you wanna carry bigger portable amp with 500mW+ power, those Balanced out dongles/bluetooth dongle would be fine.

LoL, PR2 v2 is NOT a chain saw or a tractor for ploughing!
Fiio BTR5 is more than enough. At 77 mW on the balanced out my BTR5 - PR2 combination is perfect, and at 110 mW my eardrums are ready to jump out of my head. :ksc75smile:
Oh, and BTR5 is at half of the price of BTR7.
By the way, PR2 v2 is my favorite now, is very analitic, with powerfull bass (somehow quick bass), superb mids and very enjoyable treble (large soundstage and a lot of details)..

Jun 16, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #62,050 of 63,916
Fiio BTR5 is more than enough. At 77 mW on the balanced out my BTR5 - PR2 combination is perfect, and at 110 mW my eardrums are ready to jump out of my head. :ksc75smile:
By the way, PR2 v2 is my favorite now, is very analitic, with powerfull bass (somehow quick bass), superb mids and very enjoyable treble (large soundstage and a lot of details)..
Your BTR5 outputs around 240mw on balanced. That's comparable to most $100 dongles.

Jun 16, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #62,051 of 63,916
Today I visited the town of Sibilance with the population of KZ PR2 v2 and saw its famous peak of mount Treble...

No eartips alone can save it for me. So far, seanwee's graph EQ'd to HBB target and anaveragebear's EQ (pg. 4122) work well but I hope I can find something even better.

Compared to my humble TRN v90, PR2 starts to show it's strength only at higher volumes, the different sounds don't collapse into an incoherent mess as much there. I'm not impressed with technicalities, stage and layering is not much of an upgrade though I might be limited by the cheap JM6 Pro DAC. Slightly better details and there's some texture to the bass. An upgrade but not as big as I expected, nothing about it wow'd me. Despite everything it might still be the best 40$ buy right now if one is going to EQ. Looks like needing a 100$ DAC for this 40$ IEM isn't an exaggeration.

Edit: the treble is kinda growing on me 😁 maybe that's the burn in.
Try this EQ, preferably with foam ear tips and let me know what you think. I've been listening and tweaking this EQ for days and IMO these are better than my blessing 2 now.

My only concern with EQing these is after 2000hz everyone's seem to measure a bit to a lot different. So I do think unless you can get your own set measured then after making EQs using other people's graphs a bit of time spent tweaking is well worth it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230616-185558.png
    Screenshot_20230616-185558.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #62,052 of 63,916
My PR2 Ali order finally arrived today and as expected it is a v2. There are some differences to the box graphics/font from my v1 pair so I wonder if that might a way to tell the difference between versions before opening.

v1 are more balanced and v2 do sound "splashy" but honestly, I don't mind them. My v2 pair seems to have slightly better bass so maybe there is more variance than I thought or there is still some tweaking going on even with v2. I am probably a little older than most here and my hearing only goes up to about 15k so maybe I am less sensitive, although I don't typically like IEMs which lean toward more treble.

I will reserve any more judgment until next week when I will be able to get more juice going through both of these instead of just a dongle.

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #62,053 of 63,916
Which balanced cable are you using with the setup?
Also, how do they sound out of the 3.5mm unbalanced port?

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #62,054 of 63,916

This solved my problem with the PR2. 16 pounds off Amazon. Now i have no problem driving them with my Poco F3.

IMG_20230607_182934.jpg

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #62,055 of 63,916
This solved my problem with the PR2. 16 pounds off Amazon. Now i have no problem driving them with my Poco F3.

IMG_20230607_182934.jpg
I've got the same dongle, but trust me, You're not powering them no problem. I've got a shio dongle, and on normal gain they sound like that one, but when I flip to high gain the pr2s open up massively

Users who are viewing this thread

Back