Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 18, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #61,501 of 63,885
Thanks for your detective work for all of us!

Yah the driver location and placement has an impact on the sound for sure, I think you are on to something. Though, I think the most objective way is to use a measurement coupler to show the KZ reps if there is channel imbalance, or perhaps unit variation in the tuning. They can't argue back with this kind of evidence? Or if you are a DIYer and dare to open the shell for the sake of science haha?

BTW I'm not surprised if there is indeed unit variation and slipped QC, the shops are all rushing to produce this IEM due to the big hype and discount over it. There was a dual DD with tuning switches (TRI Star River) a few months ago that was hyped to the moon due to the unique design with tunability. So the first batch sold out quickly. The manufacturers rushed to produce a 2nd batch to meet demand (I waited 1 month for this second batch). And lo and behold, my set came with the tuning switches stuck. Rushed QC to meet demand is sadly a real thing.
Its good fun :) and yeah the coupler is on the way.

One small detail I noticed is that the "good" pair has relatively mirroed tilts between the left and right side. As opposed to a tilted left and straight right.

And while I could open the shells I'm pretty sure its a one way ticket and I'll only do it as last resort. Still deciding if I should rma the bad unit or do a teardown.

Wonder if I'll start buying KZ iems in pairs in the future just to decrease the chances of getting a bad unit. Or at least not be clueless to the fact I got a bad unit and end up thinking the model is crap.

Update:
Figured out a way to get a clearer picture of driver alignment inconsistencies.

R Driver - - L Driver
Arranged 1 to 4 (top to bottom)

20230518_141930.jpg

20230518_142528.jpg

20230518_142554.jpg

20230518_142646.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #61,502 of 63,885
I recently got PR1 Pro and also AST. They are still quite new and just started to explore them. Here are some quick thoughts:

PR1 Pro - After seeing the graph of PR2 vs PR1 Pro I decided to go for PR1 Pro. I must admit I haver never had planar before. Out of box they sound very good. Sound is pretty well balanced, they have great bass and tonality. They have very clear highs but nothing harsh or piercy sounding. I like them a lot and they remind me my JD7 which are also fanstatic set. No problem with fit, built is great and the stock cable I am not going to use, trying different cables and I assume the pure copper would be the best fit for these.

One thing I noticed is that the bass is deep but also quite dry. Sub-bass is very nice but the mid-bass is slightly lacking. I am definitely going to add a bit of push with my EQ here. The mids are very clean, fantastic separation and imaging but they also sound slightly thin. Overall sound if beautiful and engaging but to my taste just a bit thin which I assume is due to the planar technology here. Another thing I noticed is that these do like a lot of power as I am using full gain with these (only set I have that is calling for it). Once they have enough power the sound is fuller more lively. Indeed these are very good set from KZ.

AST - I got them recently as I was looking for full BA set and after longer research I actually aiming for Penon Impact. They seem to be such great iem but way too expensive right now for me and when I first saw the AST in sliver / transparent shells ... wow, they definitely have the look and remind me that Impact a lot. Got them with new custom silver cable and right away pair them together. Out of box these sounded very odd and artificial like. There was no treble and sound was very bloomy like. Tried different settings, EQ but nothing worked, I decided to return them right away. Then I noticed the stock cable and I plugged that one in. Straight away I was shocked as the sound changed completely. It was like I changed the whole set and not just the cable. Suddenly there is this amazing clear sound with very deep and wet bass, mids full of details and body. After this I tried few more cables and to my surprise some of them worked nicely and some did not work well at all. I ended up with Tripowin Jelly cable and this one sounds the best from a small collection of cables I have.

The AST are really, really amazing set. Whatever I play sounds fantastic and they are almost perfect set to my ears. But as always there are couple of smaller issues I have with them, they are slightly dark and the upper treble need some EQ push from around 8000hz upwards. I adjusted my EQ and now they are correct to my ears. The second issue is with their size.. these are very big and barely fit my ears. There is slight discomfort but I hope my ears will adjust as I am not getting rid of these. I have also noticed that the sound improves with every passing day. I believe these need some proper burning time. I already had like 15 hours in but had to send them back for replacement as the company sent me black version and I really wanted to have the silver one. So, now here I am starting with my burning again :-/

I am yet to fully explore these but again what a fantastic product and amazing sound these have. I am listening to high quality audio for years and I know when something sound bad, all right, good, or phenomenal. And yes these AST do sound phenomenal at least with my setup... PC with EQ > K5 Pro > Tripowin Jelly cable = just superb.

I was listening to some audiophile recordings and out of nowhere some metal track was played. It was like somebody slapped me over my face. That sound... OMG.
I am not very much into metal and similar music but this sounded incredible. Right away I pulled out my Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal Soundtracks in FLAC and here I am listening to that music and writting this article literally having musical orgasm!

Cannot wait to fully burn these and then A/B compare them with my favorite set FH9.. that is going to be something special but lets wait couple of weeks for that.
I will definitely share my impression here.

Here is my conclusion.... The PR1 Pro - very good iem with excellent tonality, I like them a lot yet have to listen to them more (only got them few days ago).
The AST - what a killer iem with flagship sound, really there is not much more you can get from proper iems these days. If you like to spend your money wisely then get these and forget about the other expensive stuff everybody else is raving so much about mostly because they spent a fortune on them and now they dont want to admit some low budget iems can be right there on top with their special purchases. I might have small iem collection but I have listend to a many more expensive sets and set ups in my life. These deserve full attention guys. Cant believe they do not have any reviews on this website, at least I have not seen any... hmm.

Happy Listening :)
I love my ASTs. You are right, they need burn in, unusually for an all BA model. They also scale well and benefit from balanced operation. You may like to read my review here:
https://audiosolace.com/kz-ast-review/
Definitely one of the best KZ's I have heard.

May 18, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #61,503 of 63,885
Its good fun :) and yeah the coupler is on the way.

One small detail I noticed is that the "good" pair has relatively mirroed tilts between the left and right side. As opposed to a tilted left and straight right.

And while I could open the shells I'm pretty sure its a one way ticket and I'll only do it as last resort. Still deciding if I should rma the bad unit or do a teardown.

Wonder if I'll start buying KZ iems in pairs in the future just to decrease the chances of getting a bad unit. Or at least not be clueless to the fact I got a bad unit and end up thinking the model is crap.

Update:
Figured out a way to get a clearer picture of driver alignment inconsistencies.

R Driver - - L Driver
Arranged 1 to 4 (top to bottom)

This KZ QC or inconsistency sucks, especially as it seem quite widespread when talking about PR2, which was not the case with previous PR1's. So many people end up having a bad unit and be disappointed with the sound, not knowing it is a bad set.

PS. what kind of phone you use to take pictures? does it have macro mode or telephoto lens? if not simply use 2X and take pictures from a bit further back, this will avoid narrow plane of focus for close ups.

May 18, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #61,504 of 63,885
This KZ QC or inconsistency sucks, especially as it seem quite widespread when talking about PR2, which was not the case with previous PR1's. So many people end up having a bad unit and be disappointed with the sound, not knowing it is a bad set.
Well, I don't believe anyone has compared multiple sets like this before so this issue could have been present since the beginning, but just flew under the radar.

Can other PR2 owners here chip in with a similar image so we can get a bigger sample size? The way I aligned the iems is by having the 2 pin jacks and the body of the iem both come into contact.

20230518_141930.jpg

May 18, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #61,505 of 63,885
Well, I don't believe anyone has compared multiple sets like this before so this issue could have been present since the beginning, but just flew under the radar.

Can other PR2 owners here chip in with a similar image so we can get a bigger sample size? The way I aligned the iems is by having the 2 pin jacks and the body of the iem both come into contact.

20230518_141930.jpg
IMG_20230518_192852.jpg

IMG_20230518_192805.jpg

I think they did change something in the newer batches, mine has front magnets visible while yours doesn't

May 18, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #61,506 of 63,885
IMG_20230518_192852.jpg

IMG_20230518_192805.jpg

I think they did change something in the newer batches, mine has front magnets visible while yours doesn't
Ok now THAT is definitely going to sound different. Can you remove the tips just to confirm if the nozzle mesh is the same?

This rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper huh.

May 18, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #61,507 of 63,885

Sorry if my photos are blurry.

Tips and cable were replaced.

Edit: filters are symmetrical (straight).

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_134414.jpg
    IMG_20230518_134414.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230518_134457.jpg
    IMG_20230518_134457.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230518_134339.jpg
    IMG_20230518_134339.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230518_134239.jpg
    IMG_20230518_134239.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230518_134530.jpg
    IMG_20230518_134530.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #61,508 of 63,885
Ok now THAT is definitely going to sound different. Can you remove the tips just to confirm if the nozzle mesh is the same?

This rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper huh.
In fact, my set looks more like what the PR2 should look like, it looks like the black net in front of your drivers are a mesh in front of the front magnet
kz-pr2-03.webp

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_201225.jpg
    IMG_20230518_201225.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230518_201408.jpg
    IMG_20230518_201408.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #61,509 of 63,885
Sorry if my photos are blurry.

Tips and cable were replaced.

Edit: filters are symmetrical (straight).

I think he meant the filter on the nozzle (you have to take out the eartips)
Thanks anyway

May 18, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #61,512 of 63,885
In fact, my set looks more like what the PR2 should look like, it looks like the black net in front of your drivers are a mesh in front of the front magnet
kz-pr2-03.webp
Refer to Iosber's post below, mesh seems to be part of the design. Notice how nozzle mesh is also omitted in KZ's parts list.
I found the photos in related thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17556864
There is also the mesh on driver that PR1 Pro does not have.
That's awesome, thanks.

May 18, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #61,513 of 63,885
IMG_20230518_192852.jpg

IMG_20230518_192805.jpg

Wait what, your PR2 don't have the mesh on top of the driver? That is very interesting.

May 18, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #61,515 of 63,885

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_152005.jpg
    IMG_20230518_152005.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230518_152014.jpg
    IMG_20230518_152014.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back