Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #61,081 of 64,152
The D-Fi's have grown a lot in my perception of sound for a few days. Today they rule my modest collection!
- I love them
I was going to say the very few iem's I've heard with switches don't really have large curves and that has happened with a few multi filter set iem's :thinking: On the same token some guys with golden ear hearing can hear and get a better sound signature than some of us who can't hear like a bat:rolling_eyes: I'm just glad some of these designers delve in that far to get ones refined signature. For more the analytical type I'd say. For me KZ has made quite a few albeit usually V-Shaped with even amount of analytics & Musicality to their line especially for the price to return. I always thought one would be hard pressed to find a better $23 iem than this one:wink:

ZS7th Heaven.JPG

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #61,082 of 64,152
I was going to say the very few iem's I've heard with switches don't really have large curves and that has happened with a few multi filter set iem's :thinking: On the same token some guys with golden ear hearing can hear and get a better sound signature than some of us who can't hear like a bat:rolling_eyes: I'm just glad some of these designers delve in that far to get ones refined signature. For more the analytical type I'd say. For me KZ has made quite a few albeit usually V-Shaped with even amount of analytics & Musicality to their line especially for the price to return. I always thought one would be hard pressed to find a better $23 iem than this one:wink:

I have never tried ZS7. I had "pre-ZS7", the ED16 with model name on shells "ZS7". Quite long ago.

Also I had first batch of ZS6, and I liked them a lot. There was few variations realased latter, under different brand names.

For me real revolution in KZ tuning starts with ZAS. This was good performer. Everything after is getting significantly better.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #61,083 of 64,152
Short impressions about KZ D-Fi.

I tried a couple of settings, but the 0000 setting is the most Interesting to me. Every single change makes them bassy, and meh.. definitely unbalanced by highs. I could easily bought the version without the switch. Or I would prefer rather switch for hf.

If all switches are set down, D-fi has a cool old-school vibe, a bit dark, with forward smooth midrange, and a bit "technical" bass. Soundstage is somewhat limited, but imaging is not bad.

The main con is that the treble may be lacking. Highs are no longer as extended as in the Zvx, or Cxs, and for me lasts too short. However, not completely off and there's some clarity.

I'm listening to my new Simgot EA500s in parallel, maybe if it weren't for that, I'd have even more enthusiasm for them that they deserve. Nevertheless, I like listening them, because what they present with their signature is original.

One more thing, build quality is very good, same as Cxs and Kvx. Maybe even feels better.
Have you tried the 0001 setting? That should have the least bass and thus more perceived treble.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #61,084 of 64,152
The D-Fi's have grown a lot in my perception of sound for a few days. Today they rule my modest collection!
- I love them
D-Fi grew on me as well.
My image posted in the Discovery:
20230413_084017.jpg

Amazing, what a single DD fir $30 can achieve, and both most treble and most bass setting have their pleasures and advantages.
LinLong at $15 with a nice box (a new trend for KZ) is amazing as well!
Have you tried the 0001 setting? That should have the least bass and thus more perceived treble.
I did find the three setting most distinct - 0001, 0000, and 1001 - enjoying them all :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #61,085 of 64,152
D-Fi grew on me as well.
My image posted in the Discovery:

Amazing, what a single DD fir $30 can achieve, and both most treble and most bass setting have their pleasures and advantages.
LinLong at $15 with a nice box (a new trend for KZ) is amazing as well!

I did find the three setting most distinct - 0001, 0000, and 1001 - enjoying them all :)
I'm still rocking on flat 0000 setting. With wide bore tips (ePro). Sound is very smooth on these, and surprisingly full.
Probably not universal set, but sometimes it does what I need. :)

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #61,086 of 64,152
I will try today.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #61,087 of 64,152
I'm starting to get the itch for a new KZ. Looking at the ZVX and LingLong. I only have one bullet type IEM currently (Tanya) so another that's more technical would suit my collection.

Could anyone happen to compare and contrast LingLong VS ZVX?

Bonus would be how they compare to EDX Ultra, my favorite KZ so far. I hate the ZEX PRO it has a horrible fit, terrible timbre to me so metallic and I hate the treble. I like CRA as well but EDX Ultra is a bit smoother less fatiguing and ultra comfortable so I grab that one a lot.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #61,088 of 64,152
I'm starting to get the itch for a new KZ. Looking at the ZVX and LingLong. I only have one bullet type IEM currently (Tanya) so another that's more technical would suit my collection.

Could anyone happen to compare and contrast LingLong VS ZVX?

Bonus would be how they compare to EDX Ultra, my favorite KZ so far. I hate the ZEX PRO it has a horrible fit, terrible timbre to me so metallic and I hate the treble. I like CRA as well but EDX Ultra is a bit smoother less fatiguing and ultra comfortable so I grab that one a lot.
Tanya is warm, mid-bass bleeding iem. Tonality of this was main problem.
I sold my Tanya quite quickly.

Comparing to Zvx and Linglong: those are fresh and clean.

Linglong has smooth maner, Harman tonality without being too dark, disadvantage of this one is narrow soundstage.

Zvx does have wider soundstage, but not the top of deepness. More detailed then Linglong, but overall sound is a bit sharp.
For me best one of mentioned.

Edx Ultra for me was annoying at upper high frequencies. Zvx and Linglong are
clear upgrade for me in terms of sound, without direct faults, just Zvx is bright done well, and Linglong is Harman done well (bassy, clear and smooth..)

Comparison done by memory, so not last word by any mean.

You can consider Tangzu Wan'er as something beetween LingLong and Zvx.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #61,089 of 64,152
You are right. Treble have been enhanced.
Now It's almost like Olina SE. Olina is a bit more linear, and slightly less colored, but also has inferior texture overall.
Edit: If they gonna make pinna gain flatter its gonna be killer iem.
Olina is still more likable tuned.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #61,090 of 64,152

Review of KZ ZVX by Hi-Fri (of course with a look inside the construction). Hi-Fri enthusiastically describes everything that I like so much about these IEMs and what makes them for me in the 20€ category the best I've heard and held in my hands so far. For myself, I recommend the silver version, obviously this will avoid the visible scratches on the black coating that are sure to occur over time. I'm not going to go on at length, if you feel like it, watch the video, I fully endorse it.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #61,092 of 64,152
Howdy KZ Fans, Pod's not been by in a while. Noticed KZ has moved up on technical with an iem with switches! I will say they sure don't let any grass grow up under their feet! Anyway I stopped by because I was going through old pics and found a couple classics. :grin: :beerchug:

What!.JPG
The 666'ers.JPG'ers.JPG

Great shot @PhonoPhi :grin: Never bought another KZ all BA since I still feel the BA-10 is the very best budget all BA ever made:grin: Oh no he deent:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yup. BA10 the best all BA in my collection. Built like a tank and sounds superb.

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #61,093 of 64,152
20230421_103012.jpg

Well, just tried these two at a meet (ZVX and D-Fi) darn.. KZ has come a long way!
I ordered the D-Fi immediately after trying it

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #61,094 of 64,152
Anyone else try the Pentaconn Brass core tips?

20230418_175431.jpg

Was using spring tips previously to dampen the upper treble spikes.

These tips seem to "focus" the sound except for the upper treble frequencies. The sound comes through denser with more weight, effectively making the upper treble less prominent.

Does that statement include the PR1 Pro? Been thinking of letting go of my Timeless due to a couple of things and filling that place in the box with the PR1s.

If you're like me and like Annihilator like sound (read: aggressive and engaging with extended treble), the PR1 Pro are the best planar iems imo. I slightly prefer it over the Zetian Wu Heyday for its better extension and more powerful presentation of the bass to lower mids.

There is a caveat though, J-pop. They tend to be more intense and actually need to be toned down, not up (which is why I still have the IER-M9s)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #61,095 of 64,152
Anyone else try the Pentaconn Brass core tips?

20230418_175431.jpg

Was using spring tips previously to dampen the upper treble spikes.

These tips seem to "focus" the sound except for the upper treble frequencies. The sound comes through denser with more weight, effectively making the upper treble less prominent.

If you're like me and like Annihilator like sound (read: aggressive and engaging with extended treble), the PR1 Pro are the best planar iems imo. I slightly prefer it over the Zetian Wu Heyday for its better extension and more powerful presentation of the bass to lower mids.

There is a caveat though, J-pop. They tend to be more intense and actually need to be toned down, not up (which is why I still have the IER-M9s)

just curious, have you tried the other planars like S12 and Hook-X? for engaging type sound i still prefer them both than the PR1 pro. between the PR1 Pro and heyday, i prefer the heyday, though they do have different sound signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back