Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 6, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #61,067 of 64,378
20230406_182154.jpg
Added a cap and a 30095 to the ZVX to improve the speed, bass impact and resolution. This is even better than CCA version. (Ok I forgot what it is called and too lazy to check) the design of the ZVX is pretty silly however if look at that unnecessarily tight tolerance of the positive pin right next to the cut opening.

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #61,068 of 64,378
Short impressions about KZ D-Fi.

I tried a couple of settings, but the 0000 setting is the most Interesting to me. Every single change makes them bassy, and meh.. definitely unbalanced by highs. I could easily bought the version without the switch. Or I would prefer rather switch for hf.

If all switches are set down, D-fi has a cool old-school vibe, a bit dark, with forward smooth midrange, and a bit "technical" bass. Soundstage is somewhat limited, but imaging is not bad.

The main con is that the treble may be lacking. Highs are no longer as extended as in the Zvx, or Cxs, and for me lasts too short. However, not completely off and there's some clarity.

I'm listening to my new Simgot EA500s in parallel, maybe if it weren't for that, I'd have even more enthusiasm for them that they deserve. Nevertheless, I like listening them, because what they present with their signature is original.

One more thing, build quality is very good, same as Cxs and Kvx. Maybe even feels better.

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #61,069 of 64,378
Has anyone compared the KZ BA10 with the AS16 Pro? The BA10s have survived in my collection for a very long time (as per audiophile neurosis) and I still think they play outstandingly.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #61,070 of 64,378
Has anyone compared the KZ BA10 with the AS16 Pro? The BA10s have survived in my collection for a very long time (as per audiophile neurosis) and I still think they play outstandingly.
BA10 are still unique in their balance and treble extension. If not for the shell shape and sharp angles, BA10 could rule budget all-BAs for years and years.

As for the comparison:
20230417_074135.jpg

AS16 pro have more refined (newer BAs) but less extended treble, and more bass for more bassy/earthy signature.

There is a high-imp version of AS16 pro that is meant to be more treble/bass balanced toward original AS16 (and BA10).
When I got the high impedance version and compared them with AS16 pro with the nozzle filter removed, the filter is more influential than the versions, and for me - no question that treble needs to be "freed" my removing these filters.

AS16 pro are very enjoyable, and for $45 one of the best IEM for my preferences - a comparison of AS16 pro, PR HiFi and Gumiho was really the "total" experience :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #61,071 of 64,378
I’ve summarized KZ line up notes on twitter

It’s getting quite a good feedback it seems, if you have tweeter please RT, we may get more future KZ fans🥹

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #61,072 of 64,378
BA10 are still unique in their balance and treble extension. If not for the shell shape and sharp angles, BA10 could rule budget all-BAs for years and years.

As for the comparison:
20230417_074135.jpg
AS16 pro have more refined (newer BAs) but less extended treble, and more bass for more bassy/earthy signature.

There is a high-imp version of AS16 pro that is meant to be more treble/bass balanced toward original AS16 (and BA10).
When I got the high impedance version and compared them with AS16 pro with the nozzle filter removed, the filter is more influential than the versions, and for me - no question that treble needs to be "freed" my removing these filters.

AS16 pro are very enjoyable, and for $45 one of the best IEM for my preferences - a comparison of AS16 pro, PR HiFi and Gumiho was really the "total" experience :)
I agree, the treble needs to be freed on the AS16 Pro high imp version. It’s very scant imo compared to my OG AS16.

I’ll have to try to obtain a BA10. It’s been in my radar for a while. You can find them still on AE for $80-100 CAD, but I’m not too keen on going through some of the smaller sellers.

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #61,073 of 64,378

As for the comparison:
20230417_074135.jpg

Thanks for comparison!
In the nozzle of BA10 was a foam (I have changed mine), AS16 Pro has foam too? What kind of material is their filters?

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #61,074 of 64,378
Thanks for comparison!
In the nozzle of BA10 was a foam (I have changed mine), AS16 Pro has foam too? What kind of material is their filters?
AS16 pro have some dense mesh - looks like nylon, can be two layers - filter and mesh.
No dampening filters in the sound guides, like in C16 or AS12.

I just removed the mesh entirely (I run many all-BAs without any nozzle mesh - no problems with dirt, etc so far).

My simplest most successful modding is just to remove the filters, use wide-bore tips for the least restrictions, and then find the matching source.

I have not tried modding BA10, liked its sound "as is". Now regretting not getting a second copy, when they were available at $25.

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #61,075 of 64,378
AS16 pro have some dense mesh - looks like nylon, can be two layers - filter and mesh.
No dampening filters in the sound guides, like in C16 or AS12.

I just removed the mesh entirely (I run many all-BAs without any nozzle mesh - no problems with dirt, etc so far).

My simplest most successful modding is just to remove the filters, use wide-bore tips for the least restrictions, and then find the matching source.

I have not tried modding BA10, liked its sound "as is". Now regretting not getting a second copy, when they were available at $25.
I had problems few times with multi-ba sets. Probably with moisture, so I'm kind of suspicious.
I wonder what is more deadly for ba, being overly dampened or overly opened? In my BA10 I've changed foam for same reason. Now is ok, this time I was lucky. But i have also dead T800 for example - I'll never buy any pricier multi-ba set for sure, but if As16Pro is somewhat more refined, I can give them chance.

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #61,076 of 64,378
I had problems few times with multi-ba sets. Probably with moisture, so I'm kind of suspicious.
I wonder what is more deadly for ba, being overly dampened or overly opened? In my BA10 I've changed foam for same reason. Now is ok, this time I was lucky. But i have also dead T800 for example - I'll never buy any pricier multi-ba set for sure, but if As16Pro is somewhat more refined, I can give them chance.
I've read that BA's can't take impacts (drops) well, any chance that might have occurred with your multi-BA sets?

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #61,077 of 64,378
I've read that BA's can't take impacts (drops) well, any chance that might have occurred with your multi-BA sets?
Of course it can. It's possible it's my fault too. But once I have earphones already attacked by moisture in package. It was in case of TRN BA5. Comes with such problem, and after blowing the nozzle problems disappeared

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #61,078 of 64,378
A good question, and sorry for your T800 experience. I just got mine about a month ago, I hope it will last a bit.

The filters will slow down both the propagation of moisture from the environment (including one's ears during long listening sessions) and then wenting the moisture out. It should be fairly neutral effect overall for most of the scenarios, but if outside humidity is not a problem and for long listening sessions - less filters can help.

So far I was fortunate not to experience any BA failures.
I did not know that BAs can be impact sensitive, and knocked out (literally badly) my first hybrid pair of 1 More Triple. 5+ years later still love them, the cables are about done, glued multiple times; the replacement pair is ready on a stand-by. I also got 1 More Quad, but the gentle magic of Triple is forever for me :)
Similarly, I acquired a spare pair for my first all-BA IEM, KZ AS10 - never to be used. Heavy use for 8 month and going strong after nearly 5 years :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #61,079 of 64,378
Howdy KZ Fans, Pod's not been by in a while. Noticed KZ has moved up on technical with an iem with switches! I will say they sure don't let any grass grow up under their feet! Anyway I stopped by because I was going through old pics and found a couple classics. :grin: :beerchug:

What!.JPG

The 666'ers.JPG

Great shot @PhonoPhi :grin: Never bought another KZ all BA since I still feel the BA-10 is the very best budget all BA ever made:grin: Oh no he deent:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #61,080 of 64,378
The D-Fi's have grown a lot in my perception of sound for a few days. Today they rule my modest collection!
- I love them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back