Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #60,662 of 63,917
Here are my measurements of my KZ ZS10 PRO X. I like the ZS10 PRO X with the CCA CSN Tips the most. Quick summary: compared to the stock Starline ear tips, the upper treble is less gritty, cymbal and hi-hat strikes have a more natural, faster decay, and attention is directed to the the bass and midrange (particularly the vocals). Imaging, sound separation is still good and clean, but maybe soundstage is bit smaller horizontally compared to stock.

Measurements are done with my MiniDSP Ears using IDF calibration. My source is a Hidiz S9 (AKM DAC) outputted to a Topping A50s.

KZ ZS10 PRO X.png

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #60,663 of 63,917
KZ PR1 Hifi sound particularly nice with triple-flange (very) long eartips - sibilance and artifact exposure in bad quality material seems to be reduced to a minimum and isolation and bass, quality of sound is pretty decent.

Insertion is quite deep though and requires some fidgeting before it really fits

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #60,664 of 63,917
I'm never buying a kz again with filters that fall out for no reason because no metal mesh. now i believe my left ear has a built-in filter because the filter on the left zex pro is missing and I can't find it anywhere... after some time the glue that they use disintegrates a when you reattach it again it doesn't stay put very long. a strong bass note kicked it out of place again while listening. noticed it when the bass started to sound brittle and textured,i knew it was the filter...

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #60,665 of 63,917
I'm never buying a kz again with filters that fall out for no reason because no metal mesh. now i believe my left ear has a built-in filter because the filter on the left zex pro is missing and I can't find it anywhere... after some time the glue that they use disintegrates a when you reattach it again it doesn't stay put very long. a strong bass note kicked it out of place again while listening. noticed it when the bass started to sound brittle and textured,i knew it was the filter...
What does that thing cost? $5? Just apply the old "after purchase R&D", get better glue and call it a day :wink: Never sometimes ain't so long:v: Now had I issues for my $75 BA10's I may have had some issue:thinking: For as many KZ's as I've owned over the year's I can't find issue even with a QC issue here and there:beerchug:

Chi-Fi Doodle Doo.JPG

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #60,666 of 63,917
IMG_20230117_204854_665.jpg
Red - KZ PR1 Pro stock
Green - KZ PR1 Pro Mesh 300
I've also been using the PR1 Pro with a 300 mesh on the nozzle, along with Sony tips. Been using it as my main IEM for over a month now :)
1674169844869.png

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #60,667 of 63,917
What does that thing cost? $5? Just apply the old "after purchase R&D", get better glue and call it a day :wink: Never sometimes ain't so long:v: Now had I issues for my $75 BA10's I may have had some issue:thinking: For as many KZ's as I've owned over the year's I can't find issue even with a QC issue here and there:beerchug:

Chi-Fi Doodle Doo.JPG
there are no major issues with QC but minor issues like with the way they attach things with glue. i am not sure where do you live but in a tropical country the glue sometimes oozes out and things come loose. not much to replace it of course it's just cheap filters i don't mind, just i don't like the fact that the filter might have fallen inside ears... hope it fell somewhere else.... LoL

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #60,668 of 63,917
I understand that lost filter issue and minor QC issues can still be frustrating!

Here's my Tuxedo 6's, swapped face plates on my black and gray ones and they look to be in Tuxedo attire :rolling_eyes:

Tuxedo 6’s.JPG

KZ copied me with the two tone 7's:hushed: However I'm going to go easy on them since CA might not on the shell design:grin: LOL

U2TRNKZ.JPG

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #60,669 of 63,917
Here are my measurements of my KZ ZS10 PRO X. I like the ZS10 PRO X with the CCA CSN Tips the most. Quick summary: compared to the stock Starline ear tips, the upper treble is less gritty, cymbal and hi-hat strikes have a more natural, faster decay, and attention is directed to the the bass and midrange (particularly the vocals). Imaging, sound separation is still good and clean, but maybe soundstage is bit smaller horizontally compared to stock.

Measurements are done with my MiniDSP Ears using IDF calibration. My source is a Hidiz S9 (AKM DAC) outputted to a Topping A50s.

KZ ZS10 PRO X.png
I find the included tips very awkward. Uncomfortable. They are so deep that they push the iem itself outward sonit doesn't fit flush. I have wide bore foams to try. I hope they can rescue them. First time I ever had an issue like this with a KZ. Those tips are deep insertion. I do not like them at all. Such a pity.

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #60,670 of 63,917
I find the included tips very awkward. Uncomfortable. They are so deep that they push the iem itself outward sonit doesn't fit flush. I have wide bore foams to try. I hope they can rescue them. First time I ever had an issue like this with a KZ. Those tips are deep insertion. I do not like them at all. Such a pity.

I've come to regard included tips being good as a bonus. Great when it happens but not to be relied upon. The cost of some aftermarket tips is more than a budget IEM, so I used to question why anyone would bother. However the eartip is the thing that sits between the IEM and your eardrum. If it isn't doing an optimal job, then fit and seal become an issue and the sound you hear out of your IEM will suffer. You don't have to buy SpinFits or something even more expensive. Some stores will include an extra pack of tips with an IEM. Usually when they are vying for sales on something everyone else in China seems to be hawking. Once you find a type and size that works for you, get a few of them. (warning "best" may not be the same thing for all IEMs)

There is a lot of variability in tip length, width, shape, bore, material, firmness, stickiness and cost. What suits one person won't necessarily sound best to another person. Oh, and your ear canals may not be the same size (or shape).

IEM not being stable in your ear can also be caused by the cable. Particularly if they have firm earhooks that don't fit you very well. Shape and size of the IEM can also be a factor. Eartips that fit you well and/or have a stickier surface will help.

Both eartips and cables are rabbit holes you can fall down in their own right! Along with IEMs, sources, DACs and not to forget, music (which is presumably why you started buying all this stuff in the first place!).:L3000:

Edit: For what it's worth I have KBEAR 07 tips on my KZ ZS10 Pro X.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #60,672 of 63,917
20230121_194201.jpg
are the HM20s really ventless? (right picture is from Delta Fyre)
if they aren't, i may still just purchase these and drill a hole in them and slap a couple filters on them.
if i recalled it right, it have semi openback.
but yeah, that sound tubing distinctly lack of vent tube compared to Hexa

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #60,673 of 63,917
I've come to regard included tips being good as a bonus. Great when it happens but not to be relied upon. The cost of some aftermarket tips is more than a budget IEM, so I used to question why anyone would bother. However the eartip is the thing that sits between the IEM and your eardrum. If it isn't doing an optimal job, then fit and seal become an issue and the sound you hear out of your IEM will suffer. You don't have to buy SpinFits or something even more expensive. Some stores will include an extra pack of tips with an IEM. Usually when they are vying for sales on something everyone else in China seems to be hawking. Once you find a type and size that works for you, get a few of them. (warning "best" may not be the same thing for all IEMs)

There is a lot of variability in tip length, width, shape, bore, material, firmness, stickiness and cost. What suits one person won't necessarily sound best to another person. Oh, and your ear canals may not be the same size (or shape).

IEM not being stable in your ear can also be caused by the cable. Particularly if they have firm earhooks that don't fit you very well. Shape and size of the IEM can also be a factor. Eartips that fit you well and/or have a stickier surface will help.

Both eartips and cables are rabbit holes you can fall down in their own right! Along with IEMs, sources, DACs and not to forget, music (which is presumably why you started buying all this stuff in the first place!).:L3000:

Edit: For what it's worth I have KBEAR 07 tips on my KZ ZS10 Pro X.:ksc75smile:
i find the moondrop spring tips most comfortable so far soft and not too deep. good enough grip except when it comes to as16 pro that sticks out like an eyesore. stiff cables that retain shape doesn't help either as it wants to uncoil to it's own shape rather than sitting flush. some cables are soft and pliable but heavy and put a strain that yanks out iems that don't sit well inside your ears. it's a rabbit hole all right.

it really helps if you are able to test it first when it comes to fit and comfort rather than buying online if possible but i guess we will never have that option unless someone opens up a chi-fi experience store, but then I don't foresee any benefits for the stores or manufacturers LoL. for long term comfortable listening it's a combination of all the above rather than sound quality alone because you can't enjoy the music if you keep fidgeting with it to get proper comfort even if the sound quality is superb. comfort wearing, fit of iem, depth of insertion, tip outer width, tip material softness, tip material stickiness to ear canal angle of cable connector, shell material on the inner side, weight of iem, cable stiffness, cable retaining shape, cable weight so you don't feel like snake coiling around your ears, cable trickiness, cable microphonics, connector design length, connector weight, connector angle, if the cable sheath material is sticking to stuffs or dust magnet, color of cable itself and so many other non-technical aspects.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #60,674 of 63,917
Wow I haven’t seem KZ thread being active for a while.

I’ve rediscovered that KZ retuned ZS5 at some point, it’s not typical KZ-V anymore.

Now remodeled ZS5 is on top of my favorite KZ IEM over ZAS😄

As you can see from the FR observations from the re-impression post, it’s not too far from Neutral with sub-bass boosted 7Hz Timeless✌️
Impression notes here

826FAE1E-07BE-4B35-B6E5-6873E44B1DCD.jpeg
19FE251E-541C-4744-8B77-A3B4FE4F1E79.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #60,675 of 63,917
KZ ZAX has pretty polite bass after extensive burn-in,

in the beginning it had typical v-based tuning and bass was quite emphasized - but after some point the bass mostly went away and it turned out more to be neutral and polite, not too much bass.

So in that regard every review that (ex)claims that bass is too much just didn't burn them in enough and listen to them earnestly .. change my mind :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back