Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 10, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #60,635 of 64,102
i have a pair. sounds not too bad but haven't listened to it in a while tbh. too many iems collecting dust as KZ is always up to something and the hype train never ends
Oh? I thought about getting those as a replacement for my DQ6 where the right sadly broke and is now much quieter than the left side... I assumed they'd be a nice upgrade. Really loved the DQ6. Are the zex pro good for that purpose or have they been surpassed?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #60,636 of 64,102
Oh? I thought about getting those as a replacement for my DQ6 where the right sadly broke and is now much quieter than the left side... I assumed they'd be a nice upgrade. Really loved the DQ6. Are the zex pro good for that purpose or have they been surpassed?
Nothing like DQ6, the ZEX Pro is neutral with a Sub-Bass lift rather than a V shaped tuning. Buy a Salnotes Zero instead for neutral. Many cheap better releases in single dynamics if you want V shaped. ZK EDX Ultra is pretty good if you liked spicIer treble on DQ6. Even original CCA CRA and definitely the Tangzu Wan Er are worth a look.

There are a lot of really good releases around $20 now that will sound better than either ZEX Pro or the DQ6. :triportsad:

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #60,638 of 64,102
Which one sound better than ZEX Pro and is around $20?
For neutral tuning like ZEX Pro, 7Hz Salnotes Zero would be first choice. (Both are tuned by Crinacle).

If you want something closer to DQ6 V tuning, KZ EDX Ultra would be better choice.

For more relaxed Harmon tuning then Tangzu Wan Er.

All are good, it comes down to personal preference and what type of music you listen to. Truthear Hola looks promising too, but there isn't much feedback on it yet. ChiFi gets released as a never ending stream, at some point you just get to buy something. If you have the opportunity to hear things before you buy, that is best. Most of us don't so rely on other peoples opinions, that's what reviews are "opinions". What someone else considers junk may sound great to you (and vice versa). Check different reviews from different people, before parting with your hard earned cash.:L3000:

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #60,639 of 64,102
For neutral tuning like ZEX Pro, 7Hz Salnotes Zero would be first choice. (Both are tuned by Crinacle).

If you want something closer to DQ6 V tuning, KZ EDX Ultra would be better choice.

For more relaxed Harmon tuning then Tangzu Wan Er.

All are good, it comes down to personal preference and what type of music you listen to. Truthear Hola looks promising too, but there isn't much feedback on it yet. ChiFi gets released as a never ending stream, at some point you just get to buy something. If you have the opportunity to hear things before you buy, that is best. Most of us don't so rely on other peoples opinions, that's what reviews are "opinions". What someone else considers junk may sound great to you (and vice versa). Check different reviews from different people, before parting with your hard earned cash.:L3000:
Oh wow, the 7hz Salnotes zero looks interesting. Got any opinions on the DQ6 S? Reviews I saw today mentioned it's pretty much like an improved DQ6 and the wing on the top of that thing just fits my ears perfectly.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #60,640 of 64,102
There are a lot of other brand that has better tuning than KZ right now. Truthear, 7Hz, Moondrop, Tripowin, Tinhifi just to name a few. Give them a try. I did and I never look back at KZ. Well maybe for their AZ09pro.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #60,641 of 64,102
There are a lot of other brand that has better tuning than KZ right now. Truthear, 7Hz, Moondrop, Tripowin, Tinhifi to name a few. Give them a try. I did and I never look back at KZ. Well maybe for their AZ09pro.
Yeah, midfi maker descending to budget sectors kills KZ supremacy in that segment as they manage emphasize rough tuning of KZ compares to their midfi class tuning on budget iem.

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #60,642 of 64,102
There are a lot of other brand that has better tuning than KZ right now. Truthear, 7Hz, Moondrop, Tripowin, Tinhifi just to name a few. Give them a try. I did and I never look back at KZ. Well maybe for their AZ09pro.
Totally agree. Love the tuning of the Tin HiFi T4. Flat, neutral tuning with slightly raised treble. Not by any means sibilant and the level of detail retrieval is amazing for its price point; not to mention its ability to separate and layer different instruments. Technically very capable for a single DD at this price point. Could easily sell for an extra 100 bucks.

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #60,644 of 64,102
Jan 12, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #60,645 of 64,102
In an attempt to find an eartip to improve on the subjective sound of the CCA FLA (specifically the recessed mids (i.e. male and female vocals, I don't mind the subdued treble and flabby bass), I stumbled upon the CCA CSN stock ear tips, which proved to be a good match for the KZ EDX Ultra compared to the CCA FLA. I thought I'd share some more measurements with my MiniDSP Ears using IDF calibration. My source is a Hidiz S9 (AKM DAC) outputted to a Topping A50s.

KZ EDX Ultra - Sony MH755 - KiwiEars Candenza 01-12-23.png

The measurements, particularly in the upper treble, compared to the MH755 and Cadenza look pretty bad.

My quick subjective summaries between the two ear tips:

- Stock ear tips: Overall has an analytical (doesn't sound musical to my ears compared to MH755 and Cadenza) and closed-in sound (as in small sound stage, sounds noticeably compressed compared to CCA CRA stock); bass is tight and fast, doesn't feel overpowering compared to stock CCA CRA; midrange is clear enough (female and male vocals have weight); upper treble is pretty gritty and can be bright depending on song (cymbals, hi-hats linger to long, and is reminiscent of my stock Hifiman HE-400SE treble).

- CSN ear tips: Overall, night and day difference, sounds more musical compared to stock; soundstage has noticeable width and depth, instrument separation is really good; bass is tight and fast, no change from stock; midrange is still clear, no change from stock; upper treble seems to have noticeably improved (decay with cymbals and hi-hats sounds more natural (less grit and lingering) but would say is still slightly below MH755 and Cadenza.

KZ Ultra EDX photo with CSN wide bore, shallow depth ear tip (left IEM) and Stock ear tip (right IEM):

KZ EDX Ultra CSN VS Stock Eartips.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back