Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #60,691 of 64,203
Thank you both RetroE83 and Carpet, I'll go with the mic version (for convenience) in the absence of any inferior audio.

Apologises for going off topic but was curious what this is and how it works?

One last thing before I pull the trigger on the KZ ZS10 PRO X, does anyone have any experience with regards to how it compares against the following:
  • DUNU Titan S
  • Kiwi Ears Cadenza
  • Truthear Hexa
  • CCA CRA
Looking for an everyday versatile IEM - working out, walks, music (mixed genres however quite a bit of DnB), late night movies and gaming etc. Unfortunately I've lost my much enjoyed Yamaha EPH-100 that I've had for over a decade.
The Kiwi Ears Cadenza has a nice, warm sound, which masks its technicalities imo (soundstage, sound separation - it definitely has these qualities). I haven’t felt the need to ear tip roll with this IEM, although getting the stock ear tips on the IEM is pita. I like the not so splashy, sizzly, tizzie, steely upper treble (I’m reminded of the AS16 PRO OG and High Impedance versions). The HEXA has a really nice midrange which renders vocals well and convincingly, bass is tight and present and doesn’t bleed to the mids; my only gripe is the upper treble can be a bit much for me, I haven’t found an ear tip that rolls it off enough to my desirable levels. If you are a bit treble sensitive I’d go with The Truthear Zero - it has subwoofer type bass response to my ears, vocals aren’t as clear as the HEXA but are good enough.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #60,692 of 64,203
Thank you both RetroE83 and Carpet, I'll go with the mic version (for convenience) in the absence of any inferior audio.

Apologises for going off topic but was curious what this is and how it works?

One last thing before I pull the trigger on the KZ ZS10 PRO X, does anyone have any experience with regards to how it compares against the following:
  • DUNU Titan S
  • Kiwi Ears Cadenza
  • Truthear Hexa
  • CCA CRA
Looking for an everyday versatile IEM - working out, walks, music (mixed genres however quite a bit of DnB), late night movies and gaming etc. Unfortunately I've lost my much enjoyed Yamaha EPH-100 that I've had for over a decade.
CCA CRA not so good for gaming as mids are recessed with a lot of bass. Not so good for picking footsteps. Good bass but top end can be fatiguing. Cheap, but KZ EDX Ultra is better for a few dollars more. KZ EDA balanced is another good, slightly less aggressive version.

Truthear Hexa are light on bass. Good quality but not for bass focused music as mid bass is scooped. Also more expensive.

ZS10Pro X has newer KZ BAs which are more well behaved in treble than old models. Still V shaped but not as extreme as before. So mids aren't as recessed (that's footsteps in FPS remember). Very good non-fatiguing IEM for a daily driver (that's what I use mine for), sounds good with a wide variety of music.

I haven't heard the other two.:L3000:

Titan S is known for being lighter on bass but more detailed than most of the 2021 run of single DDs at $80. Hexa would perhaps be a better bet at the same price.

Cadenza is just rolling out of the hype train. Apparently warm Harmon with bass boost, so cheaper Aria with worse details (but still pleasant tone).

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #60,693 of 64,203
More measurements. Overall, I like the laidback nature of the KZ AS16 PRO High Impedance Edition: soundstage is wide (not overly wide) and has sufficient depth (most vocals and instruments in the music I listen to are projected outside of my head); there is body and weight to vocals and instruments with a little warmth (not as clear or forward as standard AS16 PRO); treble is safe, laidback, has sufficient sparkle and air.

Is the blue on the right, AS16 original?

Did you compare AS16 pro 30 Ohm and AS16 pro 18 Ohm, or AS16 pro 30 Ohm and AS16 original.

AS16 original is surely different and definitely more treble rich (amazing for some string recordings).

AS16 pro original edition (18 Ohm) has not been tuned exactly as planned by KZ, and it would be expected to b3emost laidback out if these three.

AS16 pro would be somewhere in between.

I am really curious: how much "in between".
I have two pairs of AS16 and AS16 pro (18 Ohm) each, and would like to know if the "high impedance" one is more of a new tuning rather than simple impedance correction for KZ (KZ is known for always evolving unrelentlessly).

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #60,694 of 64,203

Did you compare AS16 pro 30 Ohm and AS16 pro 18 Ohm, or AS16 pro 30 Ohm and AS16 original.

AS16 original is surely different and definitely more treble rich (amazing for some string recordings).

AS16 pro original edition (18 Ohm) has not been tuned exactly as planned by KZ, and it would be expected to b3emost laidback out if these three.

I have two pairs of AS16 and AS16 pro (18 Ohm) each, and would like to know if the "high impedance" one is more of a new tuning rather than simple impedance correction for KZ (KZ is known for always evolving unrelentlessly).
So 2nd graph on my post compares the AS16 PRO 30Ohm and AS16 PRO 18 Ohm.

3rd graph compares AS16 PRO 30 Ohm with AS16 Original OG (has the massive peaks). Btw, AS16 OG with Moondrop Spring Tips has a nice sparkly upper treble; nice, articulate vocals; soundstage depth and height, and imaging reminds of my Salnotes Dioko with KZ ZEX tips minus the treble (graph doesn’t tell the whole story or do AS16 with Spring tips justice imo).

I’m not sure if it’s a new tuning altogether, since below 500 Hz and from past 4 KHz they don’t deviate much on my graph at least. Unfortunately I only 1 of each IEM. Maybe between 500Hz and 4KHz the BAs have been retuned.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #60,695 of 64,203

Crossover board certainly look different.
181D4774-E09B-4630-B757-01A8FC775BD9.jpeg

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #60,696 of 64,203
Maybe we can compare a set of songs by Soulpersonna on YouTube since we have both versions:

First thing I noticed are the vocals of Princess Freesia are more honky and ever so slightly in my head in ‘Touch the Star’ with the 18 Ohm.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #60,697 of 64,203
Cheers - I have a cable or two spare, so that's not an issue. In that sense I'm not too concerned about the overall reliability of the mic cable, given zero price difference the extra functionality just makes sense to me.

I just want to make sure I am not getting an inferior audio experience with the mic cable vs non-mic, which I shouldn't be? Also I assume the actual IEMs are identical?

Mic cables are convenient for calls and zoom meetings and such, but from my experience, mic on the cable might be a point of failure down the line. Also, some folks who measure resistances find a little bit of increased resistance on the side of the cable with a mic, but whether this translates to sonic differences is another story.

The good thing is cables can be bought for sub $10 USD, so I guess you can just buy that one IEM and get a spare cable (with or without mic) to explore.

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #60,698 of 64,203
Did some more KZ Old School last night and listened to my 1997 DVD (thru my DAC Magic Plus) of Metallica's show in Dallas and remembered what an upgrade and final iteration the 7's were/are :grin: I do refer to them as my KZ Lucky 7's:beerchug:

Lucky No. 7.jpg
They still are. +1 for the ZS7.

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #60,699 of 64,203
I just read this on the KZ website, it made me laugh. What on earth are they talking about?

"In 2016, KZ gradually applied a 10mm dual-magnetic dynamic unit to many new products, while most of the same type units of other brand products in the market are just drawing cats, according to tigers."

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #60,700 of 64,203
I just read this on the KZ website, it made me laugh. What on earth are they talking about?

"In 2016, KZ gradually applied a 10mm dual-magnetic dynamic unit to many new products, while most of the same type units of other brand products in the market are just drawing cats, according to tigers."
They really have to revamp their PR, I think it’s their main Achilles heel lol.

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #60,701 of 64,203

Chifi is soooo entertaining.

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #60,702 of 64,203

I'm convinced it's some sort of internal code using animals:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Of course on some days "We don't need no stinking DD's":wink:

Extraordinary.jpg

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #60,703 of 64,203

Maybe catgirls AKA Waifus? Also, I looked up "what tiger in China means" and maybe it means power/someone high-ranking in KZ. Still, LOL!

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #60,705 of 64,203
It's a chinese proverb:

照貓畫虎(猫画) zhào māo huà hǔ​

Lit: Using a cat to draw a tiger​

Fig: To capture the form but not the spirit of the original. Uninspired imitation.​

OK, that makes sense. It is good when a company actually explains a traditional or spiritual reference, as HZ Sound did with the "Heart Mirror". Western consumers in general are not familiar with Eastern philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back