Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #58,906 of 63,886
The AS12 continues to impress. One of the best out of the box experiences I have had. They scale well also. Via line out on my Xduoo X20 with a Fiio A5 amplifier they are very special. If you have the AS12 try these tracks, superb BA bass and great imaging!

Would you recommend it for someone who listen to Pop/Rock ?

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #58,907 of 63,886
I am perhaps not the best person to ask. My favourite genres are Classical, Ambient and Electronic. Though I will say the AS12 has a fast, immediate sound with tight bass and a wealth of detail so should be suitable for many different music styles.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #58,908 of 63,886
The big question is: will this be enough to save their butt? I'm surprised that there aren't more posts about how KZ flat out LIED about the fact that their recent multiple driver earphones were either covered in glue or non functional. I feel extremely bad for the guys who went out on a limb to help the company ( ie. Crinacle and HBB/BGGAR), by giving them advice and graghs to help them tune their iems...only to produce gear that is flawed. In other words, what was promised and presented/advertised; was NOT what was delivered. NOT the tuners fault...KZ’S fault for not properly manufacturing the products with FULLY FUNCTIONAL drivers.
KZ did deliver the sound the tuners wanted, it just turned to be all coming from a single driver.

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #58,909 of 63,886
After the recent revival of interest in the BA10 which I love, and now my positive experience with the AS12, I am tempted by the AS16 ($48 at Luck LZ store, Ali Express). Looks like a good deal!

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #58,910 of 63,886
ordered.
After the recent revival of interest in the BA10 which I love, and now my positive experience with the AS12, I am tempted by the AS16 ($48 at Luck LZ store, Ali Express). Looks like a good deal!

All the reviews for as16 are positive in that it's a neutral to neutral - bright IEM. Should be a very good buy for classical.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #58,911 of 63,886
ordered.

All the reviews for as16 are positive in that it's a neutral to neutral - bright IEM. Should be a very good buy for classical.
AS16 are treble-emphasized/enhanced IEM that are great for classical, especially those "golden classical recordings", which are far from treble-rich. I especially love AS16 with string quartets.
The bass is "just enough" though, not as present as in AS12 that have one the best BA bass.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #58,912 of 63,886
AS16 are treble-emphasized/enhanced IEM that are great for classical, especially those "golden classical recordings", which are far from treble-rich. I especially love AS16 with string quartets.
The bass is "just enough" though, not as present as in AS12 that have one the best BA bass.
Well, I find there is plenty of treble for me on the AS12 and a near-perfect balance of frequencies. Brass, woodwind and strings are very good. indeed. I agree with you about the AS12's bass, very impressive. This sounds amazing, check out the trumpets and tuba!

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #58,913 of 63,886
KZ did deliver the sound the tuners wanted, it just turned to be all coming from a single driver.
I saw the KZ drama recently but haven't posted on head-fi in a long time. Disappointed a little, but most for under $50 and I still use like the ZAX every single day as my main IEM, and now maybe the ZEX Pro, I'm not really actually disappointed since they sound so good anyway.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #58,914 of 63,886
Anyone recommend a non kz hybrid?? Possibly under 40 euro. Something with a wide stage. Can't escape the utterly cynical ( I may have misplaced an r there) nature of the kz deception. Just messaged the Ali store asking for some kind of refund for the 7 pairs I have owned.

I will wait with bated breath for a response.
Can anyone establish for certain that the BA 10 has 10 audible armatures who are each dealing with separate areas of the sound frequency?

The lack of comment here from long time kz advocates is deeply suspicious.

Business as usual.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #58,915 of 63,886
Anyone recommend a non kz hybrid?? Possibly under 40 euro. Something with a wide stage. Can't escape the utterly cynical ( I may have misplaced an r there) nature of the kz deception. Just messaged the Ali store asking for some kind of refund for the 7 pairs I have owned.

Can anyone establish for certain that the BA 10 has 10 audible armatures who are each dealing with separate areas of the sound frequency?

Business as usual.
Since BAs are tuned to a particular frequency range rather than generally being full range devices, if you are hearing a wide frequency range on your BA10 it is likely that all the drivers are functional.

Mar 18, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #58,916 of 63,886
Well, I find there is plenty of treble for me on the AS12 and a near-perfect balance of frequencies. Brass, woodwind and strings are very good. indeed. I agree with you about the AS12's bass, very impressive. This sounds amazing, check out the trumpets and tuba!

I have two AS12 - the first one from its inception and the second one from the recent sales (got few of them great KZs all-BAs recently, including an extra couple of AS16 and so happy about it).
My strong feeling is that the recent/newer ones are more refined. My first AS12 and low brass did not go harmoniously together to my ears, and I removed their treble filters - liked the resulting treble canon as a special KZ :)
The second AS12 was so more refined "as is", so I just left it to be enjoyed.
Though for me the "rough beasts" of modified ASX rule, and then smooth AST and treble-rich AS16 are the second ones to listen (as great BA10, AS12 and AS10 are - they are a bit on a back burner, and then I have BGVP VG4 - nothing wrong per se, but I love KZ so much more)!

Business as usual.
BA10 have 5 BAs per side and they are one of the most rich all-BAs spectrally, most extended treble
The only problem of KZ could be with those DQ6s, I would not touch them with the pole anyhow, so I do not think KZ needs any " defenders".
KZ is doing great, perhaps other companies have a lot of problems to match KZ for their value/price and are trying to make some extra noise (?)
My "wasted" money in this hobby were with non-KZ IEMs so far.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #58,918 of 63,886

Business as usual.
I can confirm that all 6 BAs per side in the KZ AS12 are functional. It's quite a bit cheaper than the BA10, too.

You'll probably have to EQ it. For me, the mids are too upfront in the stock form.

This is how my pair measures after mods and EQ (I'm a fan of the Diffuse Field/Etymotic tuning :)):
1647660354720.png

The channel balance is quite impressive, especially considering these have 12 cheap BAs in total.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #58,919 of 63,886
Turns out a 30ohm impedance adapter will reduce the upper mids of the AS12:
AS12 30ohm.png

Here's how it compares to the Aria and ER3SE:
AS12 30ohm Aria ER3SE.png

The 2kHz peak makes it a little shouty, but much better than before. More importantly, this makes it sound quite good without the need to EQ. :)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #58,920 of 63,886
I bet even the more expensive IEMs have the same tuning concept with no real crossover as you can't really fit a good inductor low pass filter circuit in that small shell for the DD or the Bass BA. Like this Leisurely Audio (aka GS audio) E16 with 4 Sonion ESTs, 12 BAs per side priced at RMB 8000, the circuit board only involves caps and resistors. (of higher quality than those in KZ IEMs, but still dity cheap)

O1CN01vkZYM61bTTSBxlXcb_!!4159263466.jpg
That shell is so pretty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back