Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 18, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #58,891 of 63,915
OMG ! It really works, never thought about that, thank you so much ! I was thinking to throw it away, its fine now.

Screenshot_20220318-151540.png

Now get sponge / foam as damper, make sure dont block entire nozzle, give space for air to go through.
You need to dampen the 5khz but remember to let air go through. And welcome to the better CRA.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #58,892 of 63,915
OMG ! It really works, never thought about that, thank you so much ! I was thinking to throw it away, its fine now.

Screenshot_20220318-151540.png
Last time, my TFZ King Pro suddenly develop volume imbalance, my heart sank as that is my first somewhat expensive iem.
My only thought was, "maybe something block the holes". I simply blow and suck (heh) the iem and it works fine again.
Not the most safe or recomennded method but i was going a bit haywire on the thought that my expensive iem broke down in entering its second year of use.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #58,893 of 63,915
Oh, this is quite a classic media disaster for KZ. Been following this elsewhere and here. I wonder if KZ realise how much of a problem this is? :grimacing:

I complained about the terrible QC on my ASX's. Got no love from the Xpress store owner or the dispute even tho the connector was so wobbly. Went in and found they overtightened and stripped the little torx screws. Its about my 5th 7th pair of KZ and I do appreciate the detailed bass of the ASX, I cannot lie. The detail overall is incredible. Regardless, since my second pair of ZS7s died and I read about how the BA10 was it's sibling in terms of sound signature with even better resolving bass I got a bit jelly when several poster's said they picked up pairs for $20 or so on closeout.

The wonderful user Nimweth posted this about the AS12. Well, wasnt too familiar with the AS12s but it seems it's got a similar following to the BA10. I dont know what I paid in USA dollares but I think it was about $25. Crossing fingers it doesn't have a shrill treble and :pray: it has that lovely detail and detailed bass.
KZ as bare as it is, is actually among the better QC in low budget chifi realm. (not counting the normally higher budget group that enter lower budget group)
My old s*nfer somehow have shittier box, slightly worse cable than kz old cable, and iem body that somehow physically sharp..
TRN and QKZ is known for its unit variation and qc problems. Crin have to buy several VK4 just to get one that sound good.
Not quite a praise for KZ, just there are worse brand in this particular budget group.

That being said, KZ can't keep the same qc level when they enter $50+ realm where they meet the higher budget group which better qc and box.

--

btw, i saw brand new KZ BA10 for $35. should i go for it?
and yeah, the seller sold 6, 1 unit sold with 1 dead iem. QC~!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #58,894 of 63,915
Oh, this is quite a classic media disaster for KZ. Been following this elsewhere and here. I wonder if KZ realise how much of a problem this is? :grimacing:

I complained about the terrible QC on my ASX's. Got no love from the Xpress store owner or the dispute even tho the connector was so wobbly. Went in and found they overtightened and stripped the little torx screws. Its about my 5th 7th pair of KZ and I do appreciate the detailed bass of the ASX, I cannot lie. The detail overall is incredible. Regardless, since my second pair of ZS7s died and I read about how the BA10 was it's sibling in terms of sound signature with even better resolving bass I got a bit jelly when several poster's said they picked up pairs for $20 or so on closeout.

The wonderful user Nimweth posted this about the AS12. Well, wasnt too familiar with the AS12s but it seems it's got a similar following to the BA10. I dont know what I paid in USA dollares but I think it was about $25. Crossing fingers it doesn't have a shrill treble and :pray: it has that lovely detail and detailed bass.
I am still waiting for my AS12. It has reached Heathrow now so it shouldn't be long before I receive it. Impressions ASAP of course!

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #58,895 of 63,915
Has anyone measured KZ's all-BA models yet to see if they have the same problem of most drivers not making audible changes to the tuning?
I feel like those models might behave vastly differently because with a DD + x amount of BA setup, you could easily just make the DD full-range (as they've been doing) and just tune that way with minimal contribution from the BAs. But with a pure BA configuration? I believe none of the BAs KZ is using is supposed to be full-range, so wouldn't it make sense that those are actually tuned properly with all (or more) drivers? I'm particularly curious about the BA10 and AS12 (as they're so well liked) and the AST because of the sheer number of drivers in that thing.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #58,896 of 63,915
Last time, my TFZ King Pro suddenly develop volume imbalance, my heart sank as that is my first somewhat expensive iem.
My only thought was, "maybe something block the holes". I simply blow and suck (heh) the iem and it works fine again.
Not the most safe or recomennded method but i was going a bit haywire on the thought that my expensive iem broke down in entering its second year of use.

I remembered that my TRN VX have the same volume imbalance problem last year, but I threw it away already. I would never expect such a huge volume drop can be caused by a filter.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #58,897 of 63,915
btw, i saw brand new KZ BA10 for $35. should i go for it?

at that price it's a fantastic buy. I was in for about $80 USD equivalent when I bought mine, and I'd pay that again for a replacement.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #58,898 of 63,915
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #58,899 of 63,915
Has anyone measured KZ's all-BA models yet to see if they have the same problem of most drivers not making audible changes to the tuning?
I feel like those models might behave vastly differently because with a DD + x amount of BA setup, you could easily just make the DD full-range (as they've been doing) and just tune that way with minimal contribution from the BAs. But with a pure BA configuration? I believe none of the BAs KZ is using is supposed to be full-range, so wouldn't it make sense that those are actually tuned properly with all (or more) drivers? I'm particularly curious about the BA10 and AS12 (as they're so well liked) and the AST because of the sheer number of drivers in that thing.
BA10 and AST are excellent. I have just received the AS12 and will post impressions soon.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #58,900 of 63,915
The po

The post just came and I now have the AS12. They are burning in. Initial impression is neutral/bright with good detail but this may change. More to come.

Mar 18, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #58,901 of 63,915
Has anyone else's KZ IEMs developed imbalance issues?

My CRA left side are now at about 25% volume compared to the right. I'm super pissed as I had this recently with my ZAX. I know the CRA is a fraction the cost of the ZAX but they only lasted a couple months!

I've got a bunch of KZs and I love them, especially for their price/performance, but these quality issues along with the whole driver fiasco... I'm losing faith ya know? What's a chi-fi brand that is actually delivering honest quality? Moondrop?
Have you ever try to check if it's wax build-up on one side? :thinking:
1647599698670 (3).jpg
Just last week my son's CRA had an imbalance issue too, so I checked them out and it was actually wax build-up on the right side. Sometimes it could be hard to detect. So, I took a wooden toothpick and cleaned them out and they were back to 100% balanced. You can try cleaning them out, or replace the mesh screen with another. Or, even try to take off the mesh screen once and for all with tweezers and clean-out the open space from wax build-up on a continuous basis.

PS. This is not the first time it happens to my son.

Hope this helps...

-Clear

Mar 18, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #58,902 of 63,915
The AS12 is a very nice surprise. Excellent soundstage, pinpoint imaging and wonderful clarity. Nice balance across the frequency range. And original Starline tips as well! An absolute bargain at $29, these are going to get a lot of play time!

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #58,903 of 63,915
The AS12 continues to impress. One of the best out of the box experiences I have had. They scale well also. Via line out on my Xduoo X20 with a Fiio A5 amplifier they are very special. If you have the AS12 try these tracks, superb BA bass and great imaging!

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #58,904 of 63,915
So far all the KZ I open up and measured, the AS10, ASX, ZSX,ZSN,CSN,NRA,ZEX Pro. 22955 BA use as full range and hybrid unit DD is also full range driver.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #58,905 of 63,915
I measured the AS12: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-16864562

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back