Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #57,886 of 63,900
For me there is no drastic change upon changing the eq. It's still a bit metallic on its upper treble. The sibilance is still more noticeable though compare with the og. zex which is tamer and safer
Sadly its probably a driver issue. The tuning is great, but the new driver tech is still too new and raw. The new thin DD is promising more price-to-perfomance (especially treble and timbre)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #57,887 of 63,900
Dec 19, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #57,888 of 63,900
I am really respecting the tuning of the KZ ZEX Pro. I like the KZ ZEX, albeit they are little safe. I like the little 'edge' of the ZEX Pro. Like the ZEX the Pro needs a better cable and in particular tip rolling, and enough power to drive them well. For 20 quid they are incredible value. It seems KZ have got the message and are moving away from their V shaped typical tunings.

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #57,889 of 63,900
After one day with ZEX Pro and coming from Moondrop Aria as daily driver.

ZEX Pro is weirdly intriguing.
  • Bass quality is still behind Aria clean bass, yet it mid bass is there when needed with decent subbass and mild rumble. Speed is decent. Its the most chameleon bass in kz so far can be subbassy or just the midbass as the song needed. its way better than old KZ bass, it to need be a touch bit cleaner or mesh a bit better to be great.
  • Treble is a bit metallic/crashy, nowhere as smooth as Aria does, but with proper cable and tips (which right now i'm back to default) its pretty still detailed and shimmer at times. its a wierd thing as treble can goes between abit distant to obnoxious as the song change (or as you change cable and eartips).
  • Mids is the damn star here. While most KZ i tried is the sub $60 one, its a bit hard to remember one with mids this good. guitars is nice to hear, bass guitar have good seperation, vocals most importantly right front and center with good quality not recessed or playing second fiddle to other instrument. while not as holographic as Aria its one place that i don't feel lacking much compared to aria.
  • Soundstage while not big its pretty 3D with good layering and separation, i can easily place instrument in a song. blissful multi driver that mesh pretty well.
  • The overall sound quality seems fluctuating heavily depend on the recording, its seems its not that forgiving for bad recording.
Everything seems to be placed right but Its a weird thing, everything seems right but its not "there" yet.

well, remembering BGGAR comment. KZ need better driver. Its the quality of bass and especially treble is that is lacking and most possibly the Xun driver and Bellsing 30095 is incapable or hard to be tuned to reach LCP sound quality or its peers.

But then i remember buying this for $22, thats like a third of Aria price and in that price its definitely a great value. Driver capability aside, its a IEM that is tuned right.
and it would be easy recommend for the price point, if not for the incoming younger cousin, the $15 CCA CRA.
Haven't tried that one, but i'm hearing good thing so far.
---

these are pretty pleasant to hear with ZEX

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #57,890 of 63,900
Zex pro + Spinfit + Tacable 😋
IMG_20211219_150826.jpg

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #57,891 of 63,900
KZ ZEX Pro/KZ x Crinacle CRN: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zex-pro-kz-x-crinacle-crn.25618/reviews#review-27528

Stock rank: D+
PEQ rank: A-

Unusual tuning for KZ, but the 8k peak is a big bottleneck. It is kind of of a "default win" for them though, since there is nothing else like this in this price range. (And PEQ fixes most of the issues I have with it.)

Here is the preset:
Peak: 4200hz, Q: 2, gain: -3db
Peak: 7000hz, Q: 5, gain: -3db
Peak: 8000hz, Q: 3, gain: -5db
High-shelf: 11 000hz, Q: 0.7, gain: 3db

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #57,894 of 63,900
Which Spinfit did you use?
I combine old CP100 with Y*nyoo 16 core, it causes the cymbals to be borderline unlistenable.

Spinfit CP100 is a bit V shape for me, it boosts treble and bass more than the mids, so maybe the 8 kHz gets boosted with it on (YMMV as we have different ear anatomies).

If you wanna tame the 8 kHz with tips, maybe you can consider Final E black tips, or foam tips.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #57,896 of 63,900
Hello fellow head-fier’s... :hand_splayed::smile:

Here’s a quick impression of the CCA CRA and KZ ZEX PRO :point_left:

:point_right: Plus, a quick comparison between CCA CRA vs BFB LARK, CCA CRA vs KZ ZEX PRO, and KZ ZEX PRO vs KZ ZEX vs CCA NRA.

CCA CRA
A new born king of dynamic drivers?
WeChat Image_20211219175509 (3).jpg
At merely around $15 US dollars one may think these new CRA’s are children’s toys during this season of giving, but guess again! They might not have the best make versus hundreds, or even thousands of US dollars. They might not have the best accessories package, or even detachable cables. But, what they do have is excellent performance versus their ridiculous price! They can hang with any dynamic driver IEM’s that I own in practically ranging in the hundreds of dollars! After burning them in for 100 hours, they can play most of my genre with ease. Violins and Cellos are excellent, drums are quick, precise, and so realistic, while vocals are incredibly clear and divine. This is all coming from a new breed of dynamic drivers launched by CCA!
PROS: Everything for the ridiculous price!
CONS: None for the low price!

KZ ZEX PRO
A taste of audiophile experience at a budget price?
WeChat Image_20211220002430 (4).jpg
Also, at around $30 US dollars (or less) you can enjoy the thrill of near audiophile experience of the ZEX PRO for an astonishing budget price. You get a Neutral signature experience with amazing open hi-end details while maintaining the raw energy of three incredibly tuned drivers per side that will bring anyone to the edge of tonality. Finally, after burning them in for 100 hours, they go really well with studio production work where details are needed for mastering or remastering songs of high quality recording. An opportunity of this type of quality of IEM’s are rare to own, especially at their asking price. So, if you’re on a budget? Don’t lose this opportunity of a life time. You won’t regret it!
PROS: A taste of hi-end audio!
CONS: Can be bright or harsh for sensitive listeners.

CCA CRA vs BFB LARK
WeChat Image_20211219175502 (2).jpg
What can I say? These sound almost identical in all areas to the BFB LARK, except that the CRA’s sounds a bit clearer in the lower vocals giving a slight edge to female or male vocal tenors. BFB (Bamboo Forest Bird) is a very small company, which started more than several years back selling only several models of in-ear monitors, but the BFB LARK took me by surprise with their 6mm natural sounding micro-dynamic drivers that are very hard to beat versus their price point, and while similar to the CRA in their unique dynamic sound, they can also hang with much higher priced IEM’s. But, the fascinating thing about the CRA’s is that the higher frequency tuning sounds exactly like hearing the micro-drivers coming from the BFB LARK’s. So, cheers to CCA and their new overall drivers and tuning accomplished on the CRA’s!

CCA CRA vs KZ ZEX PRO
WeChat Image_20211220005722 (2).jpgWeChat Image_20211219175515 (2).jpg *
If you like a slight V/U shape in your tuning, CRA is the right pick for you. But, if you’re looking for a more Neutral sounding signature, then you’ll make an excellent choice by picking the ZEX PRO. The ZEX PRO’s will truly give you a taste of what professional audiophiles look for in open hi-end details for their incredible low price, all while the CRA’s will give you some of the most natural sounding audio signatures at any price. *Now, the interesting part of the CRA’s is that by changing the copper wire to silver will provide you even more micro-details on top and tighter bass, though the copper wires will give you a sense of a wider soundstage with more natural sub-bass. This makes the CRA’s a hidden beast! So, overall I personally think that these two IEM’s are more of a “must buy” than they are actually competitors. Conclusion, they are both a no brainer!...Just buy them both!

KZ ZEX PRO vs KZ ZEX vs CCA NRA
WeChat Image_20211220003910 (2).jpg
It’s funny how a brother/sister company would be so intertwined as to compete against each other on who carries the better model according to many KZ or CCA customers. But, while it seemed like there was continually a “tug-of-war” on who carried the better model between KZ ZEX or CCA NRA, these two brother and sister companies were actually preparing to brew for the main event with the ZEX PRO and CCA’s latest CRA. Whether, that was a marketing strategy or not, it was very well planned. So, personally if you still got several dollars left in your pocket, I suggest you get the ZEX PRO and the CRA. They will definitely make up for your loss of getting the ZEX and NRA if you weren’t completely satisfied with their tuning, IMHO.

Hope this gives a better idea and perspective on KZ and CCA’s latest models…

Cheers! :beerchug:

-Clear

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #57,898 of 63,900
KZ ZEX Pro/KZ x Crinacle CRN: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zex-pro-kz-x-crinacle-crn.25618/reviews#review-27528

Unusual tuning for KZ, but the 8k peak is a big bottleneck. It is kind of of a "default win" for them though, since there is nothing else like this in this price range. (And PEQ fixes most of the issues I have with it.)

Here is the preset:
I commend your reviews which covers how the product sounds both in stock form as well as after PEQ. I consider EQ to be the final tuning we users can and should do, together with tip rolling.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #57,899 of 63,900

Here is the preset:
Any suggestions on fixed band EQ? Drop 4K and 8k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back