Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #57,902 of 64,077
Hello fellow head-fier’s... :hand_splayed::smile:

Here’s a quick impression of the CCA CRA and KZ ZEX PRO :point_left:

:point_right: Plus, a quick comparison between CCA CRA vs BFB LARK, CCA CRA vs KZ ZEX PRO, and KZ ZEX PRO vs CCA NRA vs KZ ZEX.

CCA CRA
A new born king of dynamic drivers?
WeChat Image_20211219175509 (3).jpg
At merely around $15 US dollars one may think these new CRA’s are children’s toys during this season of giving, but guess again! They might not have the best make versus hundreds, or even thousands of US dollars. They might not have the best accessories package, or even detachable cables. But, what they do have is excellent performance versus their ridiculous price! They can hang with any dynamic driver IEM’s that I own in practically ranging in the hundreds of dollars! After burning them in for 100 hours, they can play most of my genre with ease. Violins and Cellos are excellent, drums are quick, precise, and so realistic, while vocals are incredibly clear and divine. This is all coming from a new breed of dynamic drivers launched by CCA!
PROS: Everything for the ridiculous price!
CONS: None for the low price!

KZ ZEX PRO
Plus, a taste of audiophile experience at a budget price?
WeChat Image_20211220002430 (4).jpg
Also, at around $30 US dollars (or less) you can enjoy the thrill of near audiophile experience of the ZEX PRO for an astonishing budget price. You get a Neutral signature experience with amazing open hi-end details while maintaining the raw energy of three incredibly tuned drivers per side that will bring anyone to the edge of tonality. Finally, after burning them in for 100 hours, they go really well with studio production work where details are needed for mastering or remastering songs of high quality recording. An opportunity of this type of quality of IEM’s are rare to own, especially at their asking price. So, if you’re on a budget? Don’t lose this opportunity of a life time. You won’t regret it!
PROS: A taste of hi-end audio!
CONS: Can be bright or harsh for sensitive listeners.

CCA CRA vs BFB LARK
WeChat Image_20211219175502 (2).jpg
What can I say? These sound almost identical in all areas to the BFB LARK, except that the CRA’s sounds a bit clearer in the lower vocals giving a slight edge to female or male vocal tenors. BFB (Bamboo Forest Bird) is a very small company, which started more than several years back selling only several models of in-ear monitors, but the BFB LARK took me by surprise with their 6mm natural sounding micro-dynamic drivers that are very hard to beat versus their price point, and while similar to the CRA in their unique dynamic sound, they can also hang with much higher priced IEM’s. But, the fascinating thing about the CRA’s is that the higher frequency tuning sounds exactly like hearing the micro-drivers coming from the BFB LARK’s. So, cheers to CCA and their new overall drivers and tuning accomplished on the CRA’s!

CCA CRA vs KZ ZEX PRO
WeChat Image_20211220005722 (2).jpgWeChat Image_20211219175515 (2).jpg *
If you like a slight V/U shape in your tuning, CRA is the right pick for you. But, if you’re looking for a more Neutral sounding signature, then you’ll make an excellent choice by picking the ZEX PRO. The ZEX PRO’s will truly give you a taste of what professional audiophiles look for in open hi-end details for their incredible low price, all while the CRA’s will give you some of the most natural sounding audio signatures at any price. *Now, the interesting part of the CRA’s is that by changing the copper wire to silver will provide you even more micro-details on top and tighter bass, though the copper wires will give you a sense of a wider soundstage with more natural sub-bass. This makes the CRA’s a hidden beast! So, overall I personally think that these two IEM’s are more of a “must buy” than they are actually competitors. Conclusion, they are both a no brainer!...Just buy them both!

KZ ZEX PRO vs KZ ZEX vs CCA NRA
WeChat Image_20211220003910 (2).jpg
It’s funny how a brother/sister company would be so intertwined as to compete against each other on who carries the better model according to many KZ or CCA customers. But, while it seemed like there was continually a “tug-of-war” on who carried the better model between KZ ZEX or CCA NRA, these two brother and sister companies were actually preparing to brew for the main event with the ZEX PRO and CCA’s latest CRA. Whether, that was a marketing strategy or not, it was very well planned. So, personally if you still got several dollars left in your pocket, I suggest you get the ZEX PRO and the CRA. They will definitely make up for your loss of getting the ZEX and NRA if you weren’t completely satisfied with their tuning, IMHO.

Hope this gives a better idea and perspective on KZ and CCA’s latest models…

Cheers! :beerchug:

-Clear
Your post make me curious with lark bro. Perhaps, I will try it later. 👍

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #57,903 of 64,077
There a unbox video and it being compared to ZAS which have the new narrow eartip/lip.
ZEX Pro is noticeably fatter.
---
Zex pro left, ZAS right.
1638417894135.png

Zex pro left - DQ6 right.
1638417986338.png
Love the new tip, the dq6 tips is on thinner side which makes it a bit loose to most of my eartips sets.
---
18cbaec1639e6f1a6fae341aaf6bc1a049d95c5b_2_690x298.png

Interesting comparison on the graph.

ah I see the zex pro looks bigger, what I mean is the lips length

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #57,904 of 64,077
Hello fellow head-fier’s... :hand_splayed::smile:

Here’s a quick impression of the CCA CRA and KZ ZEX PRO :point_left:

:point_right: Plus, a quick comparison between CCA CRA vs BFB LARK, CCA CRA vs KZ ZEX PRO, and KZ ZEX PRO vs CCA NRA vs KZ ZEX.

CCA CRA
A new born king of dynamic drivers?
WeChat Image_20211219175509 (3).jpg
At merely around $15 US dollars one may think these new CRA’s are children’s toys during this season of giving, but guess again! They might not have the best make versus hundreds, or even thousands of US dollars. They might not have the best accessories package, or even detachable cables. But, what they do have is excellent performance versus their ridiculous price! They can hang with any dynamic driver IEM’s that I own in practically ranging in the hundreds of dollars! After burning them in for 100 hours, they can play most of my genre with ease. Violins and Cellos are excellent, drums are quick, precise, and so realistic, while vocals are incredibly clear and divine. This is all coming from a new breed of dynamic drivers launched by CCA!
PROS: Everything for the ridiculous price!
CONS: None for the low price!

KZ ZEX PRO
Plus, a taste of audiophile experience at a budget price?
WeChat Image_20211220002430 (4).jpg
Also, at around $30 US dollars (or less) you can enjoy the thrill of near audiophile experience of the ZEX PRO for an astonishing budget price. You get a Neutral signature experience with amazing open hi-end details while maintaining the raw energy of three incredibly tuned drivers per side that will bring anyone to the edge of tonality. Finally, after burning them in for 100 hours, they go really well with studio production work where details are needed for mastering or remastering songs of high quality recording. An opportunity of this type of quality of IEM’s are rare to own, especially at their asking price. So, if you’re on a budget? Don’t lose this opportunity of a life time. You won’t regret it!
PROS: A taste of hi-end audio!
CONS: Can be bright or harsh for sensitive listeners.

CCA CRA vs BFB LARK
WeChat Image_20211219175502 (2).jpg
What can I say? These sound almost identical in all areas to the BFB LARK, except that the CRA’s sounds a bit clearer in the lower vocals giving a slight edge to female or male vocal tenors. BFB (Bamboo Forest Bird) is a very small company, which started more than several years back selling only several models of in-ear monitors, but the BFB LARK took me by surprise with their 6mm natural sounding micro-dynamic drivers that are very hard to beat versus their price point, and while similar to the CRA in their unique dynamic sound, they can also hang with much higher priced IEM’s. But, the fascinating thing about the CRA’s is that the higher frequency tuning sounds exactly like hearing the micro-drivers coming from the BFB LARK’s. So, cheers to CCA and their new overall drivers and tuning accomplished on the CRA’s!

CCA CRA vs KZ ZEX PRO
WeChat Image_20211220005722 (2).jpgWeChat Image_20211219175515 (2).jpg *
If you like a slight V/U shape in your tuning, CRA is the right pick for you. But, if you’re looking for a more Neutral sounding signature, then you’ll make an excellent choice by picking the ZEX PRO. The ZEX PRO’s will truly give you a taste of what professional audiophiles look for in open hi-end details for their incredible low price, all while the CRA’s will give you some of the most natural sounding audio signatures at any price. *Now, the interesting part of the CRA’s is that by changing the copper wire to silver will provide you even more micro-details on top and tighter bass, though the copper wires will give you a sense of a wider soundstage with more natural sub-bass. This makes the CRA’s a hidden beast! So, overall I personally think that these two IEM’s are more of a “must buy” than they are actually competitors. Conclusion, they are both a no brainer!...Just buy them both!

KZ ZEX PRO vs KZ ZEX vs CCA NRA
WeChat Image_20211220003910 (2).jpg
It’s funny how a brother/sister company would be so intertwined as to compete against each other on who carries the better model according to many KZ or CCA customers. But, while it seemed like there was continually a “tug-of-war” on who carried the better model between KZ ZEX or CCA NRA, these two brother and sister companies were actually preparing to brew for the main event with the ZEX PRO and CCA’s latest CRA. Whether, that was a marketing strategy or not, it was very well planned. So, personally if you still got several dollars left in your pocket, I suggest you get the ZEX PRO and the CRA. They will definitely make up for your loss of getting the ZEX and NRA if you weren’t completely satisfied with their tuning, IMHO.

Hope this gives a better idea and perspective on KZ and CCA’s latest models…

Cheers! :beerchug:

-Clear
How do you find the fit of the shells?

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #57,906 of 64,077
I like to look at Frequency Response (FR) graphs. For instance I personally don't like the old shrill treble and need my bass.

In fact if anyone (KZ) is listening. The reason I listen to headphones is to hear sub-bass and bass in detail. It is so difficult to get good sound reproduction in the (sub-)bass frequencies with speakers. The best speakers I've ever owned were JBL cinema speakers. Here's the thing, the problem with FR graphs is you might get the frequencies but there is a marked difference to the quality and in the detail of the bass representation.

You can't make detailed bass with a speaker without spending a lot of money. So if you make or listen to bass music you want to hear it in detail. The very best sub bass (*and the rest of the frequencies) I've heard from anything apart from a multi mega dollar concert experience is from my ASX BA headphones. It's the detail/resolution that's amazing. I am convinced there is more to be had from this technology.

I think there is a huge market for super accurate IEMs that have detail and resolution and can span the frequency range in a way that can be said to be accurate. There's probably a market for super accurate detailed IEMS within that range as well, accurate, sub bass hyped, mids hyped, treble hyped. But only if there is super detailed represention. You can't get that information with a FR graph. My not so super educated position is DDs can't do this kind of resolution. From the sound of it planars can but they don't do bass or even sub-bass well.

It will be BA tech that will move this tech forward. Less focus on the amount of drivers in a earpiece and more on FR with quality.

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #57,907 of 64,077
KZ ZEX Pro on default equipment, actually have some problem to use on normal use (youtubing, netflixing,...), the "SSS" sibilance... its not piercing but distracting enough.
Its super awesome for small stage live musics thanks to good bass, great mids, soundstage and layering, well as long as you stay away from that treble like cymbals.

Back with smoother Aria, while its still somewhat there, but easier to listen. and yet, i missed ZEX Pro separation, layering and multi driver bliss.
Still thinking twice on whther buying ZEXPro its dedicated equip (cable and eartips) or just go for CCA NRA.
ZEX Pro is pretty damn good, its just that one fr**king flaw so distracting.
"Goodsong, greatsong, oh dude i need to skip this one"

I'm not sure is this is just this specific video mixing that causes the sibilance or its just inheret in ZEX Pro.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #57,908 of 64,077
I like to look at Frequency Response (FR) graphs. For instance I personally don't like the old shrill treble and need my bass.

In fact if anyone (KZ) is listening. The reason I listen to headphones is to hear sub-bass and bass in detail. It is so difficult to get good sound reproduction in the (sub-)bass frequencies with speakers. The best speakers I've ever owned were JBL cinema speakers. Here's the thing, the problem with FR graphs is you might get the frequencies but there is a marked difference to the quality and in the detail of the bass representation.

You can't make detailed bass with a speaker without spending a lot of money. So if you make or listen to bass music you want to hear it in detail. The very best sub bass (*and the rest of the frequencies) I've heard from anything apart from a multi mega dollar concert experience is from my ASX BA headphones. It's the detail/resolution that's amazing. I am convinced there is more to be had from this technology.

I think there is a huge market for super accurate IEMs that have detail and resolution and can span the frequency range in a way that can be said to be accurate. There's probably a market for super accurate detailed IEMS within that range as well, accurate, sub bass hyped, mids hyped, treble hyped. But only if there is super detailed represention. You can't get that information with a FR graph. My not so super educated position is DDs can't do this kind of resolution. From the sound of it planars can but they don't do bass or even sub-bass well.

It will be BA tech that will move this tech forward. Less focus on the amount of drivers in a earpiece and more on FR with quality.

Actually most pure BA IEMs with BA bass drivers sound a bit unnatural in subbass timbre, in terms of lacking decay and movement of air. DD bass sounds more natural due to this movement of air. There are exceptions of course, but the latest trend is for BA bass units to be vented, so as to give this movement of air and decay perception.

Even for 2 IEMs that graph similarly with similar looking quantities of bass on graphs, if one is a BA bass driver unit and another is a DD bass unit, they can sound pretty different on actual listening.

You can try some sets that have DD bass that are known for bigger sub-bass (from cheapest to priciest), like Urbanfun YBF-ISS014, iBasso IT00, TFZ No. 3, Ikko OH10, Mangoes Xenns Up, Sony IER Z1R. Those I find have quite nice subbass.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #57,909 of 64,077
Have you tried stuff in the mid-fi ($500) range? There are quite a number of earphones that fit your description in that category nowadays, you don't even have to dip your toes into the high end.

I reccomend trying tribrids like the Moondrop Variations or Thieaudio Excalibur. They combine the subbass of DDs with the mids of multi-Bas and the highs of electrostatic drivers.

Actually most pure BA IEMs with BA bass drivers sound a bit unnatural in subbass timbre, in terms of lacking decay and movement of air. DD bass sounds more natural due to this movement of air. There are exceptions of course, but the latest trend is for BA bass units to be vented, so as to give this movement of air and decay perception.

Even for 2 IEMs that graph similarly with similar looking quantities of bass on graphs, if one is a BA bass driver unit and another is a DD bass unit, they can sound pretty different on actual listening.

You can try some sets that have DD bass that are known for bigger sub-bass (from cheapest to priciest), like Urbanfun YBF-ISS014, iBasso IT00, TFZ No. 3, Ikko OH10, Sony IER Z1R. Those I find have quite nice subbass.
The Moondrop Variations has a crazy subbass hump as well. Its the bassiest "audiophile" iem i've ever heard. It just hits you like a truck.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #57,911 of 64,077
I was literally saying this on his discord and got banned from posting for a week
I don't have much problem with the bass.
Its the treble. He should've known the crashy metalic cymblas sound is so distracting.
while most possibly its driver limitation couldn't replicate Dusk tuning SQ.
But still, knowing the limitation, he should've promote to alter the driver or try different tuning to avoid that treble.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #57,912 of 64,077
The cymbal hissing just made it impossible to get into the music with the ZEX Pro, not to mention the stark contrast in positioning between male and female vocals - the former are fairly subdued while the latter just floats above everything else.

And price isn’t really an excuse because similarly priced IEMs don’t necessarily have these problems.

On EQ: my transport of choice (iPhone/built in Music app) doesn’t allow for custom EQ, and I’m not about to buy a Quedelix for a 30 dollar IEM just so that I can PEQ it

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #57,914 of 64,077
The cymbal hissing just made it impossible to get into the music with the ZEX Pro, not to mention the stark contrast in positioning between male and female vocals - the former are fairly subdued while the latter just floats above everything else.

And price isn’t really an excuse because similarly priced IEMs don’t necessarily have these problems.

On EQ: my transport of choice (iPhone/built in Music app) doesn’t allow for custom EQ, and I’m not about to buy a Quedelix for a 30 dollar IEM just so that I can PEQ it
The hissing made me put down my NRAs and I'm hesitant to buy the zex pro. I do want to hear his tuning before I jump to the dusk or eclipse. EQ on the lg v60 isn't detailed enough for effective adjustment. I get by using USB audio player occasionally on Android

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #57,915 of 64,077
I really do interested to a zex pro until i know i must have / turn eqp. Have a good source, maybe amps and more...

Maybe i should hold till i could try test unit.

The one tempting me was the separation. Because i love details and analytical.

( maybe next December 😜)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back