Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #56,131 of 64,192
My pick for indie/grunge is the Blon Bl-03 or, maybe the Blon Bl-01 if you want less and faster bass. Add a decent cable and some spinfit cp160 in the appropriate size to the order though as the cable and tips are atrocious. The bass is more textured than the Zs10 pro. The blon Bl-03 maybe a little bloated in the bass at high volumes, the 01 is a little bit tamer, but also a little grainier in the treble. I can't comment on them; But the moondrop aria are meant to be good at around $80. They are on my radar, but I haven't bit on them yet.
Haha, I was eying the Moondrop Starfield (hear the Aria is close to the to the Moondrop Starfield, but need a better cable) since I love their aesthetic and I can grab one a little more than the Aria, I hate their cables though, I just worry it'll be too clean or smooth, I definitely want exciting and jumpy, something dirty, but recognizable, something that has a reserve in the middle to keep it clean and together. A few were recommending the BL-03 a while ago to me, did you find the fit problematic on the shell or find that the inner tube is sealed nicely? I tried a pair of BL-01s (old model maybe?) and there was almost a vibration I couldn't get past when I was moving it up and their plugs were awful, but I feel like it was the seal on the pair, I was very interested in the texture everyone talks about, how would a BL-03 hold in your opinion in texture comparison if you know? Thank you again. Im trying to relearn so it definitely helps getting everyone's input and other recommendations.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #56,132 of 64,192
Haha, I was eying the Moondrop Starfield (hear the Aria is close to the to the Moondrop, but need a better cable) since I love their aesthetic and I can grab one a little more than the Aria, I hate their cables though, I just worry it'll be too clean or smooth, I definitely want exciting and jumpy, something dirty, but recognizable, something that has a reserve in the middle to keep it clean and together. A few were recommending the BL-03 a while ago to me, did you find the fit problematic on the shell or find that the inner tube is sealed nicely? I tried a pair of BL-01s (old model maybe?) and there was almost a vibration I couldn't get past when I was moving it up and their plugs were awful, but I feel like it was the seal on the pair, I was very interested in the texture everyone talks about, how would a BL-03 hold in your opinion in texture comparison if you know? Thank you again. Im trying to relearn so it definitely helps getting everyone's input and other recommendations.

The fit is a problem on all the Blons, except the mini. The nozzles are too short, thats why I reccomend the spinfits, or flip tips. The new blon Bl-01 has a removable cable the same as the 03, it has a really tight ear guide that tends to pull the shell out of your ears. The seal is really good on the 03 with spinfits. The sound is hard to describe. It's very smooth and soothing but also the treble is quite airy and detailed. The 01 is a little harsher, as it has slightly less bass boom so the upper mids and treble seem a little harsher overall. From what I have read, the aria has slightly more bass than the starfield. Although I have heard neither. I am tempted though. Others may be able to chime in here.

For what it is worth, i have two blon minis, I like them that much. One is stuck on my TRN BT20 non s, the other is stock. The cable is nicer, than the other blons, and the tips fit because they are a deeper fitting IEM.

I haven't bought any of the recent KZ iems, but I really like the ZSX, I got it for £33 from amazon have slapped a tripowin zonie on it. It has slightly more air in the 10khz region than the zs10 pro, and I like that. The cymbal clashes, are slightly more polite than the zs10 pros, but otherwise it sounds the same.

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #56,133 of 64,192
Can someone give me a recommendation to the right direction? I was looking at either the AST, ZAS, TFZ no.3, or just grab a ZS 10 Pro. I definitely want a punchy bass that can keep up speed wise, but I've been really wanting something a little more U shaped more as opposed to V shaped where I can get that deep rich bass with healthy treble and a close as can be clean and accurate mid-range. Soundstage I actually like it a little bit closer and usually prefer a closed back, especially because I listen to my music very loud and don't want any sound bleed to effect those around me. I do use foam ear tips, I'll just be upgrading the cable down the road.

I listen to a lot of grunge, metal, alternative/hip-hop, indie/alternative indie, and nu-core genres, but I like it like my venues, small a bit close and center stage, somewhere between in front with reach to the sides, reaching a fade towards the back of your head if possible. I appreciate any input you may have, thank you. : )

edit: My budget is up to $150, but doesn't necessarily need to be $150, I just want something that would shock me at that price point or up to.

blon 03 or tin t2.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #56,134 of 64,192
Haha, I was eying the Moondrop Starfield (hear the Aria is close to the to the Moondrop Starfield, but need a better cable) since I love their aesthetic and I can grab one a little more than the Aria, I hate their cables though, I just worry it'll be too clean or smooth, I definitely want exciting and jumpy, something dirty, but recognizable, something that has a reserve in the middle to keep it clean and together. A few were recommending the BL-03 a while ago to me, did you find the fit problematic on the shell or find that the inner tube is sealed nicely? I tried a pair of BL-01s (old model maybe?) and there was almost a vibration I couldn't get past when I was moving it up and their plugs were awful, but I feel like it was the seal on the pair, I was very interested in the texture everyone talks about, how would a BL-03 hold in your opinion in texture comparison if you know? Thank you again. Im trying to relearn so it definitely helps getting everyone's input and other recommendations.
Blon A8 prometheus!!

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #56,135 of 64,192
The Tin2s didn't feel great to me when I tried them, but maybe they weren't broken in? They just seemed very average, but I'm starting to consider BL-03s now...

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #56,136 of 64,192
Blon A8 prometheus!!
How would you compare them to the BL-03s or a pair of ASTs? I just worry because the Prometheus are very open and I've heard they seem dominant for female vocals and too many instruments can get muddled especially onto bass. On the other hand I've seen people say it's the BL-03 perfected, which seems surprising to me.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #56,137 of 64,192
Hello. Got the ASX and after a little while found the sound did change noticeably. Wanted something with a bit more detail the ZS7's I've had for some time but with a similar treble and good bass and with lots of detail. Not disappointed. Found the ZAX had too much bass and treble although a fun sounding 'phone. Since spending time with my first BA -only set since a Etymotic set a loong time ago I've been wondering if hybrids are mainly DD 'phones with a small amount of tuning from the BAs. The warm bass and signatures of hybrids are really a different kettle of fish. Enjoying this BA only phone but have problems quality control as mine arrived with a wobbly in the pin connector.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #56,138 of 64,192
How would you compare them to the BL-03s or a pair of ASTs? I just worry because the Prometheus are very open and I've heard they seem dominant for female vocals and too many instruments can get muddled especially onto bass. On the other hand I've seen people say it's the BL-03 perfected, which seems surprising to me.
If you want a better isolation than the Moondrop Aria is my pick.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #56,139 of 64,192
Can someone give me a recommendation to the right direction? I was looking at either the AST, ZAS, TFZ no.3, or just grab a ZS 10 Pro. I definitely want a punchy bass that can keep up speed wise, but I've been really wanting something a little more U shaped more as opposed to V shaped where I can get that deep rich bass with healthy treble and a close as can be clean and accurate mid-range. Soundstage I actually like it a little bit closer and usually prefer a closed back, especially because I listen to my music very loud and don't want any sound bleed to effect those around me. I do use foam ear tips, I'll just be upgrading the cable down the road.

I listen to a lot of grunge, metal, alternative/hip-hop, indie/alternative indie, and nu-core genres, but I like it like my venues, small a bit close and center stage, somewhere between in front with reach to the sides, reaching a fade towards the back of your head if possible. I appreciate any input you may have, thank you. : )

edit: My budget is up to $150, but doesn't necessarily need to be $150, I just want something that would shock me at that price point or up to.
Both AST and ZAS have good isolation and rather punchy bass. The ZAS is more U shape but I won't consider the mids accurate and it has expanded stage. It has just a little too much mids which can make the sound just a little nasal. It has enough treble to my ears but I bet some may find it lacking in sparkles. The AST is not U shape at all but has more accurate mids however rather in accurate treble IMO and definitely not good for your choice of music.

I think the ZAS can be a good choice for you still.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #56,140 of 64,192
The only punchy bass IEMs I have are the QKZ VK4 (and with your budget you can probably get something better) but I don't recommend the T2, Aria and Starfield. They are amazing but their sound is practically flat, they are absolutely not what you are looking for.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #56,141 of 64,192
Hello. Got the ASX and after a little while found the sound did change noticeably. Wanted something with a bit more detail the ZS7's I've had for some time but with a similar treble and good bass and with lots of detail. Not disappointed. Found the ZAX had too much bass and treble although a fun sounding 'phone. Since spending time with my first BA -only set since a Etymotic set a loong time ago I've been wondering if hybrids are mainly DD 'phones with a small amount of tuning from the BAs. The warm bass and signatures of hybrids are really a different kettle of fish. Enjoying this BA only phone but have problems quality control as mine arrived with a wobbly in the pin connector.
The ASX are probably my favorite out of what I own at the moment.
I also had the ASF and it too had a wobbly pin connector as your ASX does.
Hopefully it doesn't affect anything, but I'm not super happy about it.

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #56,142 of 64,192
Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #56,143 of 64,192
KZ EST IEM IS HAPPENING!!! AND COMING SOON!!! I think... but it's definitely coming this year.

Not yet sure if its "true" electrostatic though and just a magnetostat.

If you've seen the pics, it's the atrocious "fan" looking one (initial design).

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #56,144 of 64,192
KZ EST IEM IS HAPPENING!!! AND COMING SOON!!! I think... but it's definitely coming this year.

In all likelihood, it is probably gonna be a fake EST, something like a magnetostatic or electret that Shouer and BGVP like to use (but market it as an EST).

A true electrostatic set is usually expensive and has its own dedicated voltage supply. The magnetostatics/electrets are precharged and they lose their charge over time. Stuff like Shuoer tape uses this electret thing, they don't have a dedicated voltage supply and theoretically they may become inoperable once the charge is used up.

But then again, the way we buy CHIFI, there'll be a new hypetrain coming in the mail within weeks, so more toys will come way before the charge of the electret runs out hahaha.

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #56,145 of 64,192

It is not too expensive to do a true electrostatic pair and KZ can always manage to keep the price as low as the sum of the cost of the drivers when buying separately. I have faith in them.:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back