Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 14, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #56,101 of 63,932
I'm a personal fan of the CCA CKX. I've modded mine with foam, fabric tuning filters, and a new wax guard, but that is solely because I'm crazy treble sensitive. Even without doing any of that, the CKX are an excellent initial foray into Chi-fi thanks to their small size, good build quality, and generally pleasant sound signature. They're fairly warm with treble gain and good detail reproduction. The upper treble can sound a bit metallic, but it's nowhere near as bad as other sets I've tried.
Thank you for the suggestion, totally my fault, but I forgot to mention that my budget for these is around 20-30 USD. These will be used at the gym and I tend to be rough with them at the gym so I'm looking to explore a more inexpensive pair.

Hey, welcome to "The Scene!"

Perhaps the KZ ZST X or the CCA CSN might serve to satisfy the requested sound profile.
I was referred to the KZ ZST (no X) originally, I think I'll give the X a shot. Do you mind helping me understand the finer extremities between the two, or am I mincing too much at this price point? Thank you for the suggestions.

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #56,102 of 63,932
Hello, I'm new to this scene and would like to try a pair of these headphones. Can anyone advice which type would be best for the typical V curve type sound with high treble and good bass. I have a preference for more bass. I'm coming from a FIL TX1. Thank you very much in advance and I appreciate any help on the matter. Cheers!
KZ DQ6 or CCA CSN. The DQ6 is brighter due to treble peaks but those can be tamed with earbud foams. I don’t own the CSN so I can’t really comment on it other than that I’ve read many positive things about them here and that they have less treble than the DQ6. The DQ6 has very good bass quality for its price and I’d assume the CSN is similar as they use the same 10mm DD.

Here are the frequency response graphs of the two:
graph.png

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #56,103 of 63,932
Thank you for the suggestion, totally my fault, but I forgot to mention that my budget for these is around 20-30 USD. These will be used at the gym and I tend to be rough with them at the gym so I'm looking to explore a more inexpensive pair.

I was referred to the KZ ZST (no X) originally, I think I'll give the X a shot. Do you mind helping me understand the finer extremities between the two, or am I mincing too much at this price point? Thank you for the suggestions.
The X version is the successor to the ZST. KZ seem use an "X" or "Pro" in the names when they are performing an upgrade to a previously existing product with a similar shell form factor. They don't always do it that way, however, so things can get confusing.

The ZST X has the same single balanced armature plus dynamic driver hybrid configuration as its predecessor, but with supposedly improved tuning. I can't vouche for that since I never heard the original, just the X version. It is a very v-shaped set that achieves its spicy treble performance by placing the the BA into the nozzle of the shell.

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #56,104 of 63,932
KZ DQ6 or CCA CSN. The DQ6 is brighter due to treble peaks but those can be tamed with earbud foams. I don’t own the CSN so I can’t really comment on it other than that I’ve read many positive things about them here and that they have less treble than the DQ6. The DQ6 has very good bass quality for its price and I’d assume the CSN is similar as they use the same 10mm DD.

Here are the frequency response graphs of the two:
graph.png
Awesome, thank you for the graph. It seems like the KZ DQ6 isn't a bad choice, looks like the deep bass is comparable between the two minus around 1.5k-2k.

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #56,105 of 63,932
The X version is the successor to the ZST. KZ seem use an "X" or "Pro" in the names when they are performing an upgrade to a previously existing product with a similar shell form factor. They don't always do it that way, however, so things can get confusing.

The ZST X has the same single balanced armature plus dynamic driver hybrid configuration as its predecessor, but with supposedly improved tuning. I can't vouche for that since I never heard the original, just the X version. It is a very v-shaped set that achieves its spicy treble performance by placing the the BA into the nozzle of the shell.
Yeah all these different versions has my head in a loop, plus it seems there are a lot of different brands selling these headphones and at different price points. I see one as erjigo brand, another as ****. Should I be looking at a specific one to order off of Amazon?

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #56,106 of 63,932
Yeah all these different versions has my head in a loop, plus it seems there are a lot of different brands selling these headphones and at different price points. I see one as erjigo brand, another as ****. Should I be looking at a specific one to order off of Amazon?
Yeah, there are a lot of resellers. Can't really offer much guidance on who to buy from there.

Jul 15, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #56,107 of 63,932
I finally received one of those 2.5mm balanced 16 core silver plated AliExpress cable specials. I've been listening to the ZAX with the old KZ brown cable after stealing the new KZ silver cable for the C12s.

So uhh - yeah, wow. Cables do make a difference. There is definitely a lot more transparency coming through in recordings and a lot more clarity in the top end. Enough so that I had to shave a dB or three off my EQ presets. I'm noting here that I began eq'ing more and more to flatten out some of the vee shape with this cable. First couple of hours of listening ... budget bliss. Paired with the BTR3k this makes a very nice rig for ~ $150 total.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #56,109 of 63,932
Hello, I'm new to this scene and would like to try a pair of these headphones. Can anyone advice which type would be best for the typical V curve type sound with high treble and good bass. I have a preference for more bass. I'm coming from a FIL TX1. Thank you very much in advance and I appreciate any help on the matter. Cheers!
Considering you are coming from Fil TX1, you should definitely try DQ6 with foam mod by @RikudouGoku as it will suit your preferences and won't be a tectonic shock to KZ's infamous treble spikes. And then gradually move to hardcore KZ IEMs. Because the level of sonic upgrade would be too much for you to digest as IEMs trump TWS in all aspects especially the budget ones.

You can also have wireless freedom for combined cost of $40 with KZ AZ09 which will definitely beat the experience you had with Fil TX1. If you are willing to spend that much i.e. else DQ6 are more than enough to give you V-shaped joy if you aren't that treble sensitive.

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #56,110 of 63,932
For the gym? Zs4 probably. Still my favorite shell shape, treble is a bit hot but there are some simple mods to cut down on that. Nothing great technically, but they get the job done and are cheap.
DQ6 is better than those older KZ models and can be had for under $30.

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #56,111 of 63,932
Native DSD recording: Hiromi’s album ALIVE is very good one for drums and piano. I’m a drummer myself and can assure that recording is very natural and uncolored.

Sounds amazing on the Variations. Haven't touched my KZ and CCA for quite awhile now, but if someone asking me which KZ/CCA model I recommend, the DQ6 and CKX will be in the top list.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #56,112 of 63,932
I finally received one of those 2.5mm balanced 16 core silver plated AliExpress cable specials. I've been listening to the ZAX with the old KZ brown cable after stealing the new KZ silver cable for the C12s.

So uhh - yeah, wow. Cables do make a difference. There is definitely a lot more transparency coming through in recordings and a lot more clarity in the top end. Enough so that I had to shave a dB or three off my EQ presets. I'm noting here that I began eq'ing more and more to flatten out some of the vee shape with this cable. First couple of hours of listening ... budget bliss. Paired with the BTR3k this makes a very nice rig for ~ $150 total.
I can feel the "prove it" army coming. Seriously, glad you are getting more enjoyment from a great set.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #56,113 of 63,932
DQ6 is better than those older KZ models and can be had for under $30.

Have it, and I agree it sounds much better, but for gym or yard work (non-critical listening) I still like the ZS3/ZS4 shell size/shape. With starline tips, not going anywhere. DQ6 has that smaller nozzle and less ergonomic shell, I couldn't use the tips that came with it and starlines come loose, had some TRN tips that fit pretty well... Just throwing out an opinion.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #56,114 of 63,932
^ there's a whole lotta cymbal sounds in there for sure. :-o This sounds great on the zax - definitely an über clean recording. Even at the blowout in the finale I can still clearly discern between double bass kick drum and what sounds like a double pluck on the stringed bass. They mic'd the drum set very nicely. Those lower toms coming thru in the left channel sound great.

Any opinions on Yussef Dayes? Small kit, tight fills, and tasty breaks.

very skillful fill-ins and I like his snare taps! Good to know Yuusef Dayes, thanks!

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #56,115 of 63,932
I can feel the "prove it" army coming. Seriously, glad you are getting more enjoyment from a great set.
OK. I respond, after all it is KZ thread :)

Surely, balanced is different so much more than cables, since for the most cases two amplifier chips are used, and in many cases - two different DAC chips. Hence the balanced is effectively a different source that is in the most cases a better one - easier to make cleaner, more spacious, etc.

Also good old KZ stock cables have resistance of 0.8-1.1 Ohm, so with many sources, the difference with a good cable (below ~0.3-0.4 Ohm) can be noticeable.

As for other differences, for instance of the copper and plated, - if one checks out of curiosity whether their "pure copper" cables actually plated and then cased in the copper-coloured insulation - the findings may be surprising :)
Then it is really hard not to chuckle for "the copper makes warmer" :)

Collecting my share of cables, my definitive conclusion is that the differences of the cables is all boiled to the source limitations.

After all, an ideal source will power any load to the same power identically. This ideal case is definitely quite far from the reality with the compact portable sources, and there comes the cable difference highlighting the source imperfections.

But why then actually not to go to the proverbial source?
Portable DACs are plenty and fairly affordable, just the price of few decent cables (or even less than some exhorbitantly priced ones), and the difference there is so much more real and striking!

Actually, it is so overwhelming for me - I am not sure what to do...

So my limited best advice - before investing in a collection of IEM (and cables, other than for comfort and aesthetics), make sure that you have few different sources - at least along the lines of warm/musical, cold/analytical, the difference and synergies can be huge!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back