Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 13, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #56,086 of 63,836
Right, absolutely.
Then it is hard to understand why to do it within an array (?)

I was thinking more of a precedent discussed for CSN, when a BA was thought to be connected in an opposite phase to a DD. What would be an effect - cancelling some overtones or just minimal interference, given the different frequencies.

I do a bit of soldering, but not good enough to solder and resolder tiny BAs for multiple tries, so altering the electric parts is at the bottom of my modding list for now.
I'd honestly be more concerned about cracking the shell while trying to open it or snapping a BA in half trying to access the ones mounted at odd angles than about the soldering itself. Tiny soldering is a nuisance, but as long as you aren't yanking on the cables or running too hot with too much contact time with the pad, it's relatively low risk, especially since you don't have to worry about lifting solder pads on the drivers themselves like you would with the crossover network.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #56,087 of 63,836
Some time ago I bought DQ6 as my first proper IEM from KZ. I like them, but am sure I'll buy a different sounding one soon as well. The graphs in this thread really help. Or maybe buy a different cable.

But I have some trouble with the correct fitting tips on the dq6. It seems they're smaller than usual. What size spinfit do i need for example, or is there a foam tip that does fit?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #56,088 of 63,836
Some time ago I bought DQ6 as my first proper IEM from KZ. I like them, but am sure I'll buy a different sounding one soon as well. The graphs in this thread really help. Or maybe buy a different cable.

But I have some trouble with the correct fitting tips on the dq6. It seems they're smaller than usual. What size spinfit do i need for example, or is there a foam tip that does fit?
You can just flip the KZ tips that are shared with them. I'd suggest to try this before spending on tips. Maybe you can save some money and spend them later for something else.

Flip tip mod -
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-or-fliptips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #56,089 of 63,836

I bought a set of Spinfit CP100 Plus to try out with my DQ6. They fit well enough on the nozzle and in my ears but I wasn't too impressed with them. I felt like the note weight was a bit lacking. Though this is totally a personal preference. I ended up using Azla Sedna tips (bought a bunch of different sizes awhile back).

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #56,090 of 63,836
IMG_20210712_193546_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg
IMG_20210712_190107_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg
IMG_20210712_190141_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg
KZ ZAS arrived :)
Good and deep enough bass (subwoofer is heard). There is an emphasis (saturation) in the mid frequencies that starts at about 1kHz. I ask you to consider the emphasis not in terms of bright peaks, but in the density that the reinforcement gives. The ears do not nag, but the MidFreq-HighFreq in them is more than average and can tire. In general, the sound is rich (thanks to the midrange), the stage does not shine in size, in general it is average (normal). HF attenuation is very fast, skeet, clicks lack length.

There is a question for the ~ 0.5 - 1 kHz section: it sounds weaker (light) against the background of thick bass and the same middle from 1 kHz, as if the joint is felt. But, if you listen to it for a very long time, it will generally come off.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #56,091 of 63,836
The ZAS are pretty sharp looking, but I'm still not buying any more earphones....for a while. :)

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #56,093 of 63,836
How long is a while? 🙃
Hopefully a very long time.....I deleted all of my youtube earphone review subscriptions except for one, so I won't be tempted as much.
I'm perfectly happy with the KZ AST, so I have no use for anything else unless it sounds like it's absolutely spectacular and the price is a bargain.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #56,094 of 63,836
Hopefully a very long time.....I deleted all of my youtube earphone review subscriptions except for one, so I won't be tempted as much.
I'm perfectly happy with the KZ AST, so I have no use for anything else unless it sounds like it's absolutely spectacular and the price is a bargain.
I will be willing you on and hope that I join you one day soon. Nothing like having that Satisfaction that you are happy with what you have. 🙏

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #56,095 of 63,836
Don't let something silly like gear lust get in the way of discovering and listening to music. :L3000:

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #56,096 of 63,836

Attachments

• Geek Wold GK10 -01.jpg
    Geek Wold GK10 -01.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #56,097 of 63,836
The ZAS are pretty sharp looking, but I'm still not buying any more earphones....for a while. :)

Same, I haven't bought a new set for quite a while now, just enjoying what i currently have

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #56,098 of 63,836
Hello, I'm new to this scene and would like to try a pair of these headphones. Can anyone advice which type would be best for the typical V curve type sound with high treble and good bass. I have a preference for more bass. I'm coming from a FIL TX1. Thank you very much in advance and I appreciate any help on the matter. Cheers!

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #56,099 of 63,836
Hello, I'm new to this scene and would like to try a pair of these headphones. Can anyone advice which type would be best for the typical V curve type sound with high treble and good bass. I have a preference for more bass. I'm coming from a FIL TX1. Thank you very much in advance and I appreciate any help on the matter. Cheers!
I'm a personal fan of the CCA CKX. I've modded mine with foam, fabric tuning filters, and a new wax guard, but that is solely because I'm crazy treble sensitive. Even without doing any of that, the CKX are an excellent initial foray into Chi-fi thanks to their small size, good build quality, and generally pleasant sound signature. They're fairly warm with treble gain and good detail reproduction. The upper treble can sound a bit metallic, but it's nowhere near as bad as other sets I've tried.

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #56,100 of 63,836
Hey, welcome to "The Scene!"

Perhaps the KZ ZST X or the CCA CSN might serve to satisfy the requested sound profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back