Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #53,971 of 63,836
I know what you mean about the metallic timbre on hi hats and snare drums on the zs10 pro. For what it's worth it isn't there on the zsx. I can partially fix it with foam in the nozzles. Can't comment on the newer kz iems. I think it's caused by undampened ba drivers in the nozzle, but on the other hand I can't hear it as much in the original zs10.

But... Even with mods like foam or sponge, can't really dish out the metallic timbre on Balance Armature driver. It's there as it hallmark.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #53,972 of 63,836
But... Even with mods like foam or sponge, can't really dish out the metallic timbre on Balance Armature driver. It's there as the hallmark.
Why not?
One can alway cut something out.
The case in point would be AS12 with quite heavily dampened treble that works great for many.

A general point also would be that it is much easy to remove something than to add. You can't add the extended treble and resolution to an average DD sound profile. While you may find your acceptable level of treble with BAs using different filters/dampening.

ZS10 pro are an epitome of KZ cheerful V with those "steely" BAs used then, and while not my personal cup of tea, they are a nice extreme (loved how electric guitars could sound with ZS10 pro!)

BA10 are definitely smoother, one of the most "refined" KZ signatures. If not for the limitations of the shell size (and some sharp edges), BA10 could be much more popular!

Then, recent generations of BA drivers are noticeably more refined. ZAX would be a prime example. For very treble-averse -CA16 can do well. I use CA16 for both very treble rich and less refined recordings.

CA16 and ZAX are one of the very good options to spend $100 on IEMs, in my opinion.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #53,973 of 63,836
Why not?
One can alway cut something out.
The case in point would be AS12 with quite heavily dampened treble that works great for many.

A general point also would be that it is much easy to remove something than to add. You can't add the extended treble and resolution to an average DD sound profile. While you may find your acceptable level of treble with BAs using different filters/dampening.

ZS10 pro are an epitome of KZ cheerful V with those "steely" BAs used then, and while not my personal cup of tea, they are a nice extreme (loved how electric guitars could sound with ZS10 pro!)

BA10 are definitely smoother, one of the most "refined" KZ signatures. If not for the limitations of the shell size (and some sharp edges), BA10 could be much more popular!

Then, recent generations of BA drivers are noticeably more refined. ZAX would be a prime example. For very treble-averse -CA16 can do well. I use CA16 for both very treble rich and less refined recordings.

CA16 and ZAX are one of the very good options to spend $100 on IEMs, in my opinion.

I'm agree to disagree :)

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #53,974 of 63,836
Having the DQ6 for nearly two weeks, now, I can say that I really like them. My choice of eartip (flip-tip KZ) improves both air and separation in the presentation.

The AS12 is still my favorite but the DQ6 is an impressive touchdown in my book.

DarlingMemorableIndianhare-max-1mb.gif

In other news, the new KZ 8-core cables are now on Amazon.

Might want to wait for more sellers.

Current seller charges nearly double the Ali price and $5 shipping.

I was going to order six cables (2 silver, 2 copper and 2 gold/copper).
That would be $48 + shipping on Ali but $120 on Amazon.

I wouldn't mind paying $72 with free shipping (@ $12 a pop) on Amazon but $120 (or $20 a pop) is definitely a no go. Wait for more Amazon sellers or pick yours up on AliExpress.

Always read the fine print.

20210126_110347.jpg

20210126_110053.jpg

20210126_110745.jpg

20210126_111024.jpg

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/OFC-Oxygen-F...+OFC+OXYGEN+FREE+COPPER&qid=1611766286&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #53,975 of 63,836
Having the DQ6 for nearly two weeks, now, I can say that I really like them. My choice of eartip (flip-tip KZ) improves both air and separation in the presentation.

The AS12 is still my favorite but the DQ6 is an impressive touchdown in my book.

I wouldn't mind paying $72 with free shipping (@ $12 a pop) on Amazon but $120 (or $20 a pop) is definitely a no go. Wait for more Amazon sellers or pick yours up on AliExpress.

20210126_110347.jpg
20210126_110053.jpg
20210126_110745.jpg
20210126_111024.jpg
Dang, the silver one is pretty! This is the first time I heard of them.. I reckon they don't come in 0.78 (non-QDC)? :frowning2:

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #53,976 of 63,836
Ok guys. I think I'm about to pull the trigger. I've got 3 pair in my cart right now for $65. Please let me know if this looks like a good mix. I have the KZ DQ6, KZ ZST, and the KZ EDX. I'm now looking into a usb dac amp dongle for my phone. Thanks again all. :wink:

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #53,977 of 63,836

20210126_110347.jpg
20210126_110053.jpg
20210126_110745.jpg
20210126_111024.jpg

No balanced option le sigh

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #53,978 of 63,836
I do use Ali, and I've only had 2 issues. It's cheaper enough than Amazon for me to treat it as "Caveat Emptor", to be honest I can't be bothered to go through the rigmarole of sending stuff back to China. What I've saved has paid for the 2 bad pairs I've received. I won't buy LZ because of the issues, but I'm content to keep using Ali.

Edit : Also, I don't like to give Besos any more of my hard earned than I have to, especially with the way his workers are treated here in the UK.
Good point, friend. Amazon become just as bad as China in the way they treat their workers in many of their warehouses. It takes a bit longer; but I get a better price on Aliexpress. Don't care about 2 day or whatever shipping, just as long as I get tracking info...I'm happy. I always choose Aliexpress Standard shipping for anything I buy (15-30 days to Canada). Only had one problem over the past 2.5 years and was refunded my money without any problems.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #53,979 of 63,836

20210126_110347.jpg
20210126_110053.jpg
20210126_110745.jpg
20210126_111024.jpg
Do you mind sharing the links for these cables?

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #53,980 of 63,836
Hi ScrofulousBinturong, My budget is flexible, for these I guess around $60. I was going to just get the new galaxy buds to go with my S20 FE but decided to hop on HeadFi and here I am again. Always looking for more for less. As for what music I listen to it's all over the place. From electronic, to hardcore metal, to rap, to rock, etc etc. so nothing specific really. Thanks
Ok then I'll echo the ZSX Terminator suggestion. It's a fun listen, with big bass but not too much, and better / less aggressive trebles than other similarly voiced IEMs.

Outside KZ there's the Blon BL-03 but the fit is atrocious.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #53,981 of 63,836
I'd say you pretty much won't find such a deal with BAs without this metallic timbre. Just try to imagine BAs are your Fender Strat and then your DD setup is then Gibson Les Paul. It's also possible to make Strat sound relatively close to LP through replacing pickups with humbuckers.
Which then transcribes as a weird tuning of BAs if you want.

You can check out QoA Vesper. It has a large 10mm dynamic driver and 1 BA from Knowles. It also has a darkened tuning which would fit you.
Other suggestion - CCA CA16 but these will be worse as they have much more BA drivers and I don't think that's your choice.

Personally, I always seemed to prefer Telecaster over any of these.
That's a dang good analogy, assuming one knows what those guitars sound like.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #53,982 of 63,836
I'd say you pretty much won't find such a deal with BAs without this metallic timbre. Just try to imagine BAs are your Fender Strat and then your DD setup is then Gibson Les Paul. It's also possible to make Strat sound relatively close to LP through replacing pickups with humbuckers.
Which then transcribes as a weird tuning of BAs if you want.

You can check out QoA Vesper. It has a large 10mm dynamic driver and 1 BA from Knowles. It also has a darkened tuning which would fit you.
Other suggestion - CCA CA16 but these will be worse as they have much more BA drivers and I don't think that's your choice.

Personally, I always seemed to prefer Telecaster over any of these.

i don't have problems with the "twangy" sound of the BA, to follow the guitar related analogy :grin:

also similar to guitars, it's easier to add warmth to BAs with amps and EQs (similar to making strat/tele sounding like les paul, even with single coils) than removing the warmth

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #53,983 of 63,836
I've never seen mentions of kz aptx HD neckband, i ordered one and hoping to see a feedback, gonna pair with either the kz as10 or cca c12

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #53,984 of 63,836
It's nowhere near as simple as if it's a BA, it will have "twangy" guitars or have a metallic timbre.

I've heard plenty of dynamic driver iems that sound more shrill than BA iems and plenty of BA iems that sound very warm and dark.

It just lies in the skill of the tuner, poorly tuned ones will show the poor characteristics of said driver while well tuned ones will be able to overcome said characteristics.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #53,985 of 63,836
Ok guys. I think I'm about to pull the trigger. I've got 3 pair in my cart right now for $65. Please let me know if this looks like a good mix. I have the KZ DQ6, KZ ZST, and the KZ EDX. I'm now looking into a usb dac amp dongle for my phone. Thanks again all. :wink:

Good choice the QD6 :)
Don't know ZST
EDX is useless. Poor isolation, poor stage, peaks in 2-4k aera and KZ's big bump in 80-100hz.

Really not a bad IEM for the price but gonna be useless facing QD6.
Mine is in my desk drawer at work if I forget to bring some IEM for the week... :scream:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back