Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 21, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #53,867 of 63,836
Hi guys

I wanted to buy another pair for my collection and I've been considering two.

I don't mind the price as because technically those two are equally the same price.

I do have AS10 and AS16.

The choices are BA10 and AS12.

I know those two are designed and tuned differently but if you guys would pick, which of the two? Thanks.

Edit:
I went full retard on adding new iems lol.
Both are very good choices.

To me, it would depend on your current perception of AS10 and AS16.

If AS10 warmth is to be build upon with great bass and good mids - AS12 will work nicely; the BA bass is the best out there! (and I do have some Knowles and Sonions to compare).

If AS16 are liked but treble is a bit too much and more bass is desired, then BA10 can work greatly.
The BA10 shells are very nicely built, a real masterpiece (minus the fit considerations).
At the same time, BA10 and AS10 are closely related in having the same drivers, BA10 being more balanced, more resonant, and also less source-dependent.

(I can only agree that AS12 are better than AS16, if treble is not much of a factor. AS12 do feature very potent treble BAs but they are heavily dampened, so are the higher overtones. Undampened, AS12 are a treble beast; customization of dampening offers great opportunities, in my opinion).

Overall, going through my thoughts above made me realize that AS12 will be more different and distinct IEM to complement current AS10 and AS16 well.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #53,868 of 63,836
I am currently testing the CCA CS16 (8BA) and it is very promising.

Looking forward to your feedback on these, particularly since there is little else to go on at the moment.

I am all over modified (wide nozzles) ASX for more than a month now.

With the wide nozzles everything opens up, ASX are still a bit of bass-head IEMs for me, but they do have everything to enjoy the music.

Having a hard time getting around to modifying my ASF. Heavy work load and spotty sleeping pattern, lately. Looking forward to eventually modding mine to be able to offer additional feedback

and to enjoy them, of course.

hehe

I wanted to buy another pair for my collection and I've been considering two.

The choices are BA10 and AS12.

My recommendation would be to start with the BA10 and pick up the AS12 shortly thereafter.

There is more feedback on the BA10 and much of it is very positive. In addition, they are, likely, out of production. This means that once the current stock dries up the BA10 will be very difficult to obtain.

The AS12 could very likely be out of production as well but you'll probably have more time to acquire a set since they are only now being reconsidered.

The AS12 (2019 release) is now going through the same two year cycle that the BA10 (2018 release) went through. The BA10 was overlooked by many for innumerable reasons but it is now being recognized for what it's been from day one, a great all-BA set at a bargain basement price. In the coming months I expect history to repeat itself with the AS12. As more feedback comes in the current stock will be depleted until it's gone.

In the meantime, be aware that the AS12 and BA10 sound completely different. Their presentations are not even close to sounding the same. That being said, they are both excellent in-ears at unapologetic but nevertheless affordable prices.

Lastly, both deserve upgrade cables. You can pass on the upgrade cable until you determine how well the BA10 or AS12 fits you but once you know it fits you'll definitely want a better cable, without question.

If AS10 warmth is to be build upon with great bass and good mids - AS12 will work nicely; the BA bass is the best out there! (and I do have some Knowles and Sonions to compare).

The BA10 shells are very nicely built, a real masterpiece (minus the fit considerations).

(I can only agree that AS12 are better than AS16, if treble is not much of a factor. AS12 do feature very potent treble BAs but they are heavily dampened, so are the higher overtones. Undampened, AS12 are a treble beast; customization of dampening offers great opportunities, in my opinion).

The AS12 treble modification is another modding project on my to do list (Tin T1-cable, KB06-resolder, ZS1/ZS2-nozzles & crossovers if possible, ASF-nozzles/filters, AS12-nozzles/filters & DQ6-nozzles. I also have a handful of old skool fixed-cable KZ's that I'd like to recable with better 8 core cables).

Typically, when I have an hour or two I just want to veg out and enjoy my music but I'll get to modding, at some point.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #53,869 of 63,836
Black KZ ASX is 14.95£ on amazon uk at the moment 👍
Edit: Might be some sort of a glitch, too cheap to be true.
Screenshot_20210121_194726_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Completely random listing

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #53,870 of 63,836

Not too good to be true. Just ordered!

Double post

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #53,871 of 63,836
It is too good to be true. It's batman headphones Cancelled thank goodness!

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #53,872 of 63,836
ASX on Amazon: when I checked my order the picture of the ASX had changed to a picture of some ghastly yellow "Batman" headphones. If you scroll down to the product description you will see it is nothing to do with the ASX but is a Bluetooth Headphone. Do not order!!!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #53,873 of 63,836
I managed to buy a kz zsx for £33 on amazon last year, I snapped em up because all the other colours were £50. They are my favourite sounding kz. They look a bit crap though, my glare blue zs10 pros look great though. The zsx have better treble. I was quite surprised when they turned up as advertised.

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #53,875 of 63,836
We know that AS10 & BA10 have the same drivers, they should sound very close.

I wish that was true, but unfortunately it is not.

I can take the same driver (say, the MH750 driver) amd make it sound 5 totally different ways in 5 different earphones.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #53,877 of 63,836
I'm giving a listen again to my KZ ZS7 (My first KZ!) with the AZLA SednaEarFitLight and the sound has vastly improved in them! The bass is no longer dominant, mids and instruments are more present, has a wider soundstage and the treble is not that dark, while vocals are clearer too.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #53,878 of 63,836
I'm giving a listen again to my KZ ZS7 (My first KZ!) with the AZLA SednaEarFitLight and the sound has vastly improved in them! The bass is no longer dominant, mids and instruments are more present, has a wider soundstage and the treble is not that dark, while vocals are clearer too.

ZS7 is fantastic! Haven't used mine much :frowning2: Will need to pull it out for a session this weekend.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #53,879 of 63,836
Too short and incomplete to call a real review, but here are some extended impressions of the DQ6. It's mostly pretty pictures :3

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-dq6.24918/reviews#item-review-25173

love your review and pics as always. Do you have KZ Z1 to be compared with DQ6 low end? I always love Z1's deep and punchy bass, dare to say best KZ bass ever, even to compete at $100-200 range. Are they really the same XUN driver?
I passed lot of great IEM but this DQ6 really intriguing since I love my Z1 despite being "bad" as TWS

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #53,880 of 63,836
love your review and pics as always. Do you have KZ Z1 to be compared with DQ6 low end? I always love Z1's deep and punchy bass, dare to say best KZ bass ever, even to compete at $100-200 range. Are they really the same XUN driver?
I passed lot of great IEM but this DQ6 really intriguing since I love my Z1 despite being "bad" as TWS

I only have the S2. Have never used the Z1 and really don't know anything about it, sorry. Bass quality is quite good on the DQ6 though. Much tighter than the significantly more expensive ZAX imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back