Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #53,251 of 63,914
Still love my Z1 for my on the go (after simple mod and EQ), im not kidding, they have great bass. I told you they are pearls on disguise.
even i Have sony Z1R, I still think the Z1 bass is one of a kind in budget segment. Do simple sponge mod to tame peakiness on high mids, and EQ them to bring up mids and small adjustments to upper mids. The bass depth and punch is great.

and hello again all! so what did I miss these past 2 months? I've been away because lot of personal and family problem, still on recovery but hopefully can share experience again here in head-fi

Absolutely! You’re one of the reasons why I picked up a Z1 specifically to convert it to wired :)

Nice to have you back. I hope things improve, and you experience peac. Only a few more days before this year is behind us!

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #53,252 of 63,914
Still love my Z1 for my on the go (after simple mod and EQ), im not kidding, they have great bass. I told you they are pearls on disguise.
even i Have sony Z1R, I still think the Z1 bass is one of a kind in budget segment. Do simple sponge mod to tame peakiness on high mids, and EQ them to bring up mids and small adjustments to upper mids. The bass depth and punch is great.

and hello again all! so what did I miss these past 2 months? I've been away because lot of personal and family problem, still on recovery but hopefully can share experience again here in head-fi

Welcome back friend!

We missed your great advise and friendship here. I've learnt a lot of stuff in audio from you! Hope things are getting better and a new year is coming, hopefully we put the past behind and look forward to better things in 2021 (and more audio gear!).

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #53,253 of 63,914
Well in all fairness we are talking different decades, studios and equipment in and out! I can appreciate both for what they were, sure the Travares version sounds wonky but it has merit, just hard to compare with Darryl and Johns version really. Don't they know "S" is for Super:wink:

Yeah, both performances are fantastic. If I had to choose I do prefer the original but several mid '70s recordings I've heard from Capitol Records aren't as clean as some of the other labels. Of course I've not done extensive comparisons but the mild distortion and unusual resonance in several Capitol Records tracks definitely makes itself known on the ASF.

If my memory serves me correctly the Tavares are all Cape Verdean. I remember my time in Massachusetts and I definitely remember how stunningly beautiful my Cape Verdean girlfriend was back then. She had the whole Margot Robbie vibe going on but she was better looking with olive skin and green eyes.

20201223_034845.jpg

Regarding those "s" model BAs, probably the best brain to pick for their characteristics would be PhonoPhi since he's swapped nozzles on his ASX. Perhaps the differences can be heard or compared now that his ASX nozzles are identical to nozzles of other KZ/CCA models. I know it's not that simple but maybe some of the "s" model BA characteristics can be more identifiable.

I'll do some comparisons to confirm or deny my assertions about the "s" models when I've swapped nozzles as well.

The XUN is always easy to spot because it has that patented turbo funnel looking thing on it.

It used to only come in the Z1.

You and DynamicEars just made my day Slater!

DQ6
20201218_124336.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #53,254 of 63,914
Take ZS10 pro, put a better DD and people will love it?
No! That is exactly CCA C10 pro - far from universally loved here. Gone is the rich overpowering bass of ZS10 pro, and it is not the same any more...

XUN is also in ZSN pro X.
Do you hear much about it? No!
Mine is to be slaughtered to serve as a donor of the nozzles for ASX.
Is the DD driver capable? Yes, it can take equalizers very well (I do not use equalizers usually). Is the BA in the nozzle OK for me - yes; but then the combination does not offer much special somehow. My favorite of simple KZ/CCA hybrids is still CA4.
Not just replace the DD but also the BA's but I do get your point. If not executed perfectly it will lead to a lot of backlash of the community, and then you'd still have a lot of people preferring the old over the new.
Something similar happened with the Phillips Fidellio X2(HR) and the X3, although here the main complaint is the price as that one is a genuine improvement that builds on the X2. But taken in a different, more balanced direction as indicated by X3. People loved the X2(HR) for it's bass and complain that the X3 doesn't quite have the same bass in favor of a better mid range, it's almost as it's different headphone instead of another X2 rehash :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. But that is besides the point, some will love it some will hate it. That is the way of this hobby.
And I know I'm one of the few that liked the ZSN Pro X, although it doesn't hold a candle to the KBEAR Lark which doesn't cost that much more.

But allow me to rephrase the proposition.
New model using the XUN DD + 2/3 "s" type BA's in a ZS10/ZSN/ZAX shape body with a new face plate. Maybe without the BA in the nozzle.
Yes, there is a big chance that it will become another side grade in the KZ Hybrid lineup but it has a lot of potential if done correctly.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #53,255 of 63,914
The XUN is always easy to spot because it has that patented turbo funnel looking thing on it.

It used to only come in the Z1.
Now that I've taken a good look none of my ZSN Pro X, ZSX and ZAX carry the XUN driver. Really wish they would introduce the XUN in a hybrid or single DD wired set next year.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #53,256 of 63,914
Now that I've taken a good look none of my ZSN Pro X, ZSX ans ZAX carry the XUN driver. Really wish they would introduce the XUN in a hybrid or single DD wired set next year.

Correct. Only the Z1 and DQ6 have it.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #53,258 of 63,914
The separation is really good, much better than expected in fact and I hear no bass bleeding at all. The 3 DDs are tuned more as a whole rather, I hear good macro detail instead of micro detail so there is good coherence but slightly lacking the finest detail. The dynamic of these is also slightly below average and you hear everything more or less at similar volume. I think there is enough bass on this pair just not very well extended to the sub-bass region. Overall the bass is kind of similar to other KZ's DD drivers. If you prefer a lot of bass I think the BQEYZ BQ3 or BL-01 would be a better choice (I have a few DAPs and desktop amps I think the DQ6 synergizes well with my Sony ZX507 and not as well as the others, the bass is really punchy and deep with Sony) so it really depends on your source sometimes but the other two might be safer choice.
Thank you. Can you say more about DQ6 treble?

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #53,260 of 63,914
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #53,261 of 63,914
How long before the DD driver wars start? Can we cram 4-5 DDs in one IEM?🤔 :smile:

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #53,262 of 63,914
Thank you. Can you say more about DQ6 treble?
I am a bit confused about the treble of the DQ6. The extension is about average but I still hear sibilance occasionally. There is in general a lack of sparkles due to the smooth tuning. Will listen more with my other DAPs, maybe will synergize better with a bright sounding DAP.

Additionally, it is harder to visualise the mouth shape of the singers with this pair due to the low dynamic range, if you get what I mean.:sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #53,263 of 63,914
Additionally, it is harder to visualise the mouth shape of the singers with this pair due to the low dynamic range, if you get what I mean.:sweat_smile:

Maybe they were all wearing masks and socially distanced. :)

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #53,265 of 63,914
I have ordered the second pair of ASX to modify. I will try your nice straw trick.
Better be quick - else militant metal straw activists will hunt you down for using plastic straws.
Personal Safety Note: I drink from the cup/mug, so please don't microwave my house!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back