Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #53,236 of 64,000
I really like this pair, especially for vocal, both gender! Well done KZ! I really wonder if KZ found out that the ASX/ASF shells are too large and made such adjustment with the DQ6. So much more comfortable to wear.
How do you get yours so fast? So the shell is probably the same size as ZSX?
Oh well I still have BL01 coming hopefully tomorrow.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #53,237 of 64,000
How do you get yours so fast? So the shell is probably the same size as ZSX?
Oh well I still have BL01 coming hopefully tomorrow.

simply becoz of where I live. :L3000:
No, the shell is not the same as the ZSX but maybe similar in dimensions.
I prefer the DQ6 over the BL-01 btw.

Edit: actually both DQ6 and BL-01 are quite good and the BL-01 may sound better with some tracks and vice versa. I now have a spreadsheet to tabulate which IEM synergizes which which DAP/Amp, one IEM may sound bad with one DAP/Amp but sounds wonderful with another.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #53,238 of 64,000
simply becoz of where I live. :L3000:
No, the shell is not the same as the ZSX but maybe similar in dimensions.
I prefer the DQ6 over the BL-01 btw.
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 13.32.16.jpeg
For those interested in the size.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #53,239 of 64,000
How's the bass, treble, separation on those dq6? I keep wanting to try these and will be using them for small stage musical performances (if we can ever get back to them). I'm a drummer so obviously like a lot of bass. Thanks!

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #53,240 of 64,000
How's the bass, treble, separation on those dq6? I keep wanting to try these and will be using them for small stage musical performances (if we can ever get back to them). I'm a drummer so obviously like a lot of bass. Thanks!

The separation is really good, much better than expected in fact and I hear no bass bleeding at all. The 3 DDs are tuned more as a whole rather, I hear good macro detail instead of micro detail so there is good coherence but slightly lacking the finest detail. The dynamic of these is also slightly below average and you hear everything more or less at similar volume. I think there is enough bass on this pair just not very well extended to the sub-bass region. Overall the bass is kind of similar to other KZ's DD drivers. If you prefer a lot of bass I think the BQEYZ BQ3 or BL-01 would be a better choice (I have a few DAPs and desktop amps I think the DQ6 synergizes well with my Sony ZX507 and not as well as the others, the bass is really punchy and deep with Sony) so it really depends on your source sometimes but the other two might be safer choice.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #53,241 of 64,000

I use IEMs for stage monitoring too and I would suggest that a set without venting (generally pure BA types) for better isolation is better for hearing protection. All BA sets also tend to have better technicalities than DD types at the budget segment.

The only issue is pure BA bass in general doesn't sound as natural as DD bass, in the area of subbass extension/bass decay and movement of air. But I guess if u are a drummer then a DD bass would probably still be better for u, so perhaps u can find a hybrid that combines a DD bass with some BAs handling the higher frequencies to get the best of both worlds.

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #53,242 of 64,000
I'll reiterate my thoughts that KZ absolutely needs to put those "s" model BAs to use by tuning a smooth and mild W-shaped sound signature in-ear and perhaps a few other models that cater to different preferences.

To my ears, the "s" model BAs have better timbre and they've eliminated a portion of the colder nature typical of BAs.

41dXq0rXLpL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

It would be an absolute shame if KZ abandoned the use of the "s" model BAs due to the uneven backlash on the ASF/ASX feedback.
While I will admit that I've never used an IEM with these BA's, from what I've been reading on this forum I have an idea what KZ should to do next.
Just like with the ZST X and ZSN Pro X, make a new ZS10 Pro with the XUN DD for it's technical prowess, replace the BA's with their "s" counterparts for their timbre and keep the shell for comfort with maybe a different face plate. Give it a similar tuning while taking advantage of the new drivers and call it the ZS10 Pro X or Pro XS or whatever.

But what do you guy's think?

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #53,243 of 64,000
I use IEMs for stage monitoring too and I would suggest that a set without venting (generally pure BA types) for better isolation is better for hearing protection. All BA sets also tend to have better technicalities than DD types at the budget segment.

The only issue is pure BA bass in general doesn't sound as natural as DD bass, in the area of subbass extension/bass decay and movement of air. But I guess if u are a drummer then a DD bass would probably still be better for u, so perhaps u can find a hybrid that combines a DD bass with some BAs handling the higher frequencies to get the best of both worlds.

I've currently got a set of Ultimate Ears UE5 Pro Customs, and CCA CA16s. I'm probably set, but was just interested in these. Thanks guys for the reply!

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #53,244 of 64,000
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-22 at 13.32.16.jpeg
For those interested in the size.
From that angle & colour, it makes me think that KZ re-introduced the ATE with detachable cable and added twin drivers to clean up the treble. Which, if they did, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #53,245 of 64,000
While I will admit that I've never used an IEM with these BA's, from what I've been reading on this forum I have an idea what KZ should to do next.
Just like with the ZST X and ZSN Pro X, make a new ZS10 Pro with the XUN DD for it's technical prowess, replace the BA's with their "s" counterparts for their timbre and keep the shell for comfort with maybe a different face plate. Give it a similar tuning while taking advantage of the new drivers and call it the ZS10 Pro X or Pro XS or whatever.

But what do you guy's think?
Take ZS10 pro, put a better DD and people will love it?
No! That is exactly CCA C10 pro - far from universally loved here. Gone is the rich overpowering bass of ZS10 pro, and it is not the same any more...

XUN is also in ZSN pro X.
Do you hear much about it? No!
Mine is to be slaughtered to serve as a donor of the nozzles for ASX.
Is the DD driver capable? Yes, it can take equalizers very well (I do not use equalizers usually). Is the BA in the nozzle OK for me - yes; but then the combination does not offer much special somehow. My favourite of simple KZ/CCA hybrids is still CA4.

My question to ask KZ/CCA fans - what would you advise for a balanced 2.5 mm USB DAC.
I got Tempotec V1A as a transport and have Sonata HD pro (nice but feels a bit sterile compared to my ESS balanced DAC) and since all my cables are 2.5 balanced, it is easier to get a good balanced USB DAC.

Which one to get - older iBasso DC01, Sonata BHD, Hidisz S9? Or is there some ESS-based good balanced one?

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #53,246 of 64,000
I got Tempotec V1A as a transport and have Sonata HD pro (nice but feels a bit sterile compared to my ESS balanced DAC) and since all my cables are 2.5 balanced, it is easier to get a good balanced USB DAC. Which one to get - older iBasso DC01, Sonata BHD, Hidisz S9? Or is there some ESS-based good balanced one?
I bought Qudelix 5K mostly because it had decent amping for a BT dongle - I think it's 4V out of 2.5mm port.. It uses dual ES9218P, but in USB DAC mode it's limited to 24/96. Otherwise it drives the KBear Believe (which can be source fussy) with a touch of warmth & bass punch.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #53,247 of 64,000
XUN is also in ZSN pro X.

Unless KZ changed something, the ZSN Pro X I have didn’t use the XUN.

Although it does use a new type of driver:

7EBCFE75-006E-4BD5-8F85-22CF6AA28B4F.jpegF1DBB829-797E-4F2D-B13D-E8C8C2E3695A.jpeg

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #53,248 of 64,000
Unless KZ changed something, the ZSN Pro X I have didn’t use the XUN.

Although it does use a new type of driver:

7EBCFE75-006E-4BD5-8F85-22CF6AA28B4F.jpegF1DBB829-797E-4F2D-B13D-E8C8C2E3695A.jpeg
What is the difference?
XUN definitely was listed for ZST X then purportedly removed (?)
Did they remove it altogether?
KZ was never into "explaining" things, just doing :)

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #53,249 of 64,000
What is the difference?
XUN definitely was listed for ZST X then purportedly removed (?)
Did they remove it altogether?
KZ was never into "explaining" things, just doing :)

The XUN is always easy to spot because it has that patented turbo funnel looking thing on it.

CA68BCFA-517C-4DEB-9A1C-C478E4112255.jpeg

It used to only come in the Z1.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #53,250 of 64,000
The XUN is always easy to spot because it has that patented turbo funnel looking thing on it.

CA68BCFA-517C-4DEB-9A1C-C478E4112255.jpeg

It used to only come in the Z1.

Still love my Z1 for my on the go (after simple mod and EQ), im not kidding, they have great bass. I told you they are pearls on disguise.
even i Have sony Z1R, I still think the Z1 bass is one of a kind in budget segment. Do simple sponge mod to tame peakiness on high mids, and EQ them to bring up mids and small adjustments to upper mids. The bass depth and punch is great.

and hello again all! so what did I miss these past 2 months? I've been away because lot of personal and family problem, still on recovery but hopefully can share experience again here in head-fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back