Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 26, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #53,283 of 64,009
I spent the last month with Blon BL-03 and TRI I3, yesterday I resumed KZ ZS10 Pro for whim and I'm having a lot of fun, with fast and aggressive music. IEM underrated, unjustly disgraced.

Zs10 Pro could and should be the last iem they developed. Somebody tell this guys that driver number is not important.

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #53,285 of 64,009
Contrary to some opinions above, I am really happy to see KZ continue making IEMs.

To many BA10, ZS7, ZS10 pro, ZSX, ZAX are very enjoyable.

I personally do appreciate KZ's relentless drive, and in all my experience, I would rather get a top KZ then some mid- or low-tier of some other companies.

I was lucky that modified ASX do everything for me - it is my bass-head IEM with competent mids and nice extended treble.
AS16 are appreciated for their lean treble-rich but relatively balanced signature.
C16 are great with their lush thick mids.
For the rich exaggerated treble, A10 are indispensable (I currently use KB10 incarnation).

ZAX and CA16 are really a nice complimentary hybrid pair for ~$100.

AS10 (and BA10) still get their listening time.
ZS10 pro are respected for their cheerful oomph.

Outside of KZ, S...r MT300 were really a great find for under $75, very competitive with my top KZ (minus MMCX and no balanced cables...)
NX7 pro are quite nice as well, though in value **** can be even more fun for quite a bit less.
U4 from HiSenior are my great top midcentric pair, where the legendary Knowles ED-29689 really shine.
Blon 03 are my single DD with the organic timbre appreciated.

Happy New Year everyone, and enjoy your music!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #53,286 of 64,009
For 2021, I hope KZ goes back to basics and produce great sounding IEMs for cheap prices - like what they did with ATE and their early hybrids. IMHO, it seems like the IEM market in china, this year, has moved upmarket with better sounding IEMs starting from around/near USD$100. This should leave the low-end market for volume makers like KZ to clean up - if they can produce something with good quality sound in 2021.

I can still remember, years ago, the first time I put an ATE into my ears, "What the eff!" and "How much!?". Do it again, KZ/CCA!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #53,288 of 64,009
My review on the SA08

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I typically don't do TWS but I figure I better get a set of the Z1 before they disappear.
There should still be time for me to pick up the SA08 early next year if I'd like to try another TWS.

413vIZ+nsWL._AC_.jpg

Contrary to some opinions above, I am really happy to see KZ continue making IEMs.

To many BA10, ZS7, ZS10 pro, ZSX, ZAX are very enjoyable.

I personally do appreciate KZ's relentless drive, and in all my experience, I would rather get a top KZ then some mid- or low-tier of some other companies.

I was lucky that modified ASX do everything for me - it is my bass-head IEM with competent mids and nice extended treble.
AS16 are appreciated for their lean treble-rich but relatively balanced signature.
C16 are great with their lush thick mids.
For the rich exaggerated treble, A10 are indispensable (I currently use KB10 incarnation).

ZAX and CA16 are really a nice complimentary hybrid pair for ~$100.

AS10 (and BA10) still get their listening time.
ZS10 pro are respected for their cheerful oomph.

Happy New Year everyone, and enjoy your music!

Looks like we are on the same page. I like it when people attempt to make something I might enjoy using. I'm having a grand ol' time with the BA10, ZS6 v1, ZSR v1 and AS12.

The BA10 is one of the best for a laid back session.
The ZS6 v1 is one of the most entertaining sets for a "fun" session.
The ZSR v1 with its fantastic isolation and energetic sound signature is great for on-the-go use.
The AS12 seems to be able to check just about every box with my DAP.

Of course, now, I am waiting for the DQ6 to arrive.
I ordered one silver and one black with an upgrade cable for each DQ6.

Silver
20201224_080306.jpg

20201226_173612.jpg

71EH0BNsGuL._SX522_-1.jpg

71sRCEnwnaL._SX522_-1.jpg

Black

20201226_085238.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-044145_Gallery.jpg

20201226_174106.jpg

61XbKdnT3NL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Considering the aforementioned models that I am currently enjoying, the incoming DQ6 and the Fiio Fh3 I'll be ordering soon, I know I don't need more in-ears but I'm having a blast and it's all relatively inexpensive. Two sets of DQ6 with two cables was a total of $100.

I will be ordering a third DQ6 when a more recognizable vendor lists them on Amazon. Currently two vendors list the DQ6 on Amazon but one vendor has overpriced them in my opinion.

Speaking of gear that I do not need
Cowon has just announced their new D3.

20201226_121359.jpg

Tap once. When it opens then double tap the image for the image to expand.
m_spec.jpg

I definitely do not need another Plenue but every time Cowon releases a new Plenue model the prices drop on several of the existing models. The Plenue R was $600 upon its initial release. Amazon currently has it listed for $239. I couldn't turn it down. I am very curious about the differences between the Plenue 2 (AKM 4997EQ DAC), Plenue D (no DAC listed) and the Plenue R (PCM5242 DAC). I want to hear for myself the differences that reviewers say they hear.

I used to take, what could be considered to be, hyperbolic statements with a grain of salt but I definitely agree with Twister6 when he states:

"I know that audiophile purists might not like the idea of DSP effects, but the quality of JetEffect 7 and how they transform even average quality headphones into TOTL sound quality can’t be dismissed. It’s a real deal."

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cowon-plenue-r-all-round-player.855223/page-3

As I've mentioned before, BBE takes the AS12 to another level and I just can't imagine a better sounding all-BA set at anywhere near the $70 I paid for them. The only caveat is the BA timbre, which is why I want to try the DQ6 (DD timbre), but I'm not complaining because the AS12 is almost an endgame in-ear for me (with BBE enabled).

I played this track with BBE enabled on the AS12 and the bass is just jaw-dropping.
I honestly don't miss DD bass authority with this set up.

BTW, the ASF blew me away, too, with this track.
That bass was just full, deep and slammin'!

Screenshot_20201226-120213_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201226-120709_Samsung Internet.jpg

The AS12 has fantastic bass, a slightly forward midrange and restrained but well-extended treble. The BBE (blue line below) polishes the treble and gives the lower frequencies a clean fullness that just takes the AS12 up a few notches. I only use level one on BBE. It transforms the AS12 from being a very, very good in-ear to a truly remarkable listen. I can't seem to say enough good things about it.

JetEffect BBE.jpg

The lowly Plenue D and the more premium Plenue 2 both work wonders on the AS12 (with BBE enabled).

If my DAP can level-up my well-made but modestly priced in-ears to the point that I don't need to spend thousands of dollars for that last 10% difference then, in my opinion, I'm not missing out on much.

That being said, word is out that the $129 Fiio FH3 is better than the $250 FH5 and the $400 FH7. I'm ordering the FH3 because I want to hear what some consider to be Fiio's best release to date at a fraction of the cost of Fiio's more expensive models?

My thoughts are as follows:

Keep going KZ!
Keep going Fiio!
Keep going Cowon!

I'm a happy patron.

Love my music and love this hobby.

It's affordable and it gets better month after month after month.

Looking forward to my next arrival.

20201226_085614.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #53,289 of 64,009
I spent the last month with Blon BL-03 and TRI I3, yesterday I resumed KZ ZS10 Pro for whim and I'm having a lot of fun, with fast and aggressive music. IEM underrated, unjustly disgraced.
I also love my ZS10 PRO. I also have the BL 03. Totally enjoy both. Imho, there's nothing disgracing about the ZS10 PRO. It just depends on the songs you listen to. That set though, works great with anything I've thrown at it. It's my "if you were on a desert island and could only have one" set. It's the set that I find works well with all the kinds of music I (personally) like and listen to most often.

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #53,290 of 64,009
Considering the aforementioned models that I am currently enjoying, the incoming DQ6 and the Fiio Fh3 I'll be ordering soon, I know I don't need more in-ears but I'm having a blast and it's all relatively inexpensive. Two sets of DQ6 with two cables was a total of $100.
Make sure you order FH3 from somewhere with good return or exchange policy; there's some people who had to return theirs with loss of bass in 1 ear. If you are into balanced sound presentation, the FH3 will suit you well. With well-behaved and separated lows, mids and high, it's my favourite iem for this year. Make sure you have a good ear seal to experience it's unique bass style (laid back yet rumbles low down).

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #53,291 of 64,009
Looks like there is a revised variant of the TWS KZ Z1 now named the Z1 Pro.

Looks like a chipset improvement, better battery consumption and functionality but we will see when people actually get them and I never tried the original Z1.

KZ Official store link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001887827924.html

KZ Z1 PRO.PNG

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #53,292 of 64,009
As I've mentioned before, BBE takes the AS12 to another level and I just can't imagine a better sounding all-BA set at anywhere near the $70 I paid for them. The only caveat is the BA timbre, which is why I want to try the DQ6 (DD timbre), but I'm not complaining because the AS12 is almost an endgame in-ear for me (with BBE enabled).
True. The AS12 is the most engaging iem without being harsh, I've ever had.

Dec 27, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #53,294 of 64,009

Looks like a chipset improvement, better battery consumption and functionality but we will see when people actually get them and I never tried the original Z1.

KZ Z1 PRO.PNG

Looks interesting; nice find!

2 things I noticed:

The XUN seems to be gone, and replaced with a different driver. At least, this is the impression I got from the Z1 Pro marketing literature. This is unfortunate, because it was what made the original Z1 special.

8A178B42-23F9-4BD0-ACF1-DB0B9FC6C10C.jpeg

The Z1 Pro battery life is still listed at 2 hours (same as the regular Z1):

29F1A8AC-246E-42DA-B8A8-D9725F4889BE.jpeg

9433025E-9C80-4777-B92F-6218CE0F7127.jpeg

Perhaps when using the Z1 Pro with a phone equipped with Bluetooth 5.2 (Qualcomm FastConnect 6700 and 6900), the battery life will be greater than 2 hours?

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #53,295 of 64,009

KZ Z1 PRO.PNG

only 2 hours of battery.. for me that really defeats the purpose of having a TWS factor in the first place...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back