Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 23, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #52,786 of 63,836
I find a KZ SA08 review :
Medium sound, great for acoustics instruments. But no sub bass and noisy background...

https://www.scarbir.com/tws/kz-sa08-review

On the other hand, I just received my cristal EDX. One week and one day to come from China to France !

A really good surprise. Bought them 2,7€ shipped, it's a steal ! I'll made a mini return after burning.

I love the Scarbir reviews also but I will offer my two cents on a couple things mentioned which I had mentioned in my review. The mids are forward and you need to have some volume restraint as it will go shouty as described. My problem was that it sounds really good and you will want to turn it up, but then you will hit a female vocal and I would notch the volume back down. I definitely listened at a lower volume than my KZ Z1. The white noise is noticeable on the built-in announcements, but my music tends to not be quiet enough to hear it.

The bass is interesting. With BA only, I tend to think more about missing it, does this track sound tinny or truncated because there is not enough extension. I think KZ went out of their way to add more than enough bass to add warmth to the mids. It doesn't have that dry/lean/thin BA sound. My first thought wasn't that it was not rumbling in my ear, but there is just a bit too much in the mids which is good on one hand, but not if you are looking for a very clean BA sound.

I probably enjoyed the whole BA family SA08, ASF, ASX more than most so take that into consideration.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #52,788 of 63,836
I know this it the KZ thread, but CCA (sister company of KZ) seems to be releasing a new multi driver model (again). Link here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH9ujkjp_VK/?igshid=i7ely76qxk19

Capture.PNG

8 BA set? CCA CS16. Once again a confusing naming convention. But more importantly, after the controversial ASX and ASF saga, maybe might be wise to wait for early reviews to filter out first before jumping in to buy.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #52,789 of 63,836
I know this it the KZ thread, but CCA (sister company of KZ) seems to be releasing a new multi driver model (again). Link here:

8 BA set? CCA CS16. Once again a confusing naming convention. But more importantly, after the controversial ASX and ASF saga, maybe might be wise to wait for early reviews to filter out first before jumping in to buy.

Oh no, here we go again. Same shell design with narrow nozzle and weird protrusion too. Don't worry folks, 5 BAs didn't work, 10 BAs certainly didn't make things better, but they've figured out a sweet spot of 8 BAs.

The only hope is that they look to actually have a vent this time for the vented bass unit.

Also, I can just imagine their marketing meeting: C16 and CA16 have been already used, so what comes after A in KZ's BA naming scheme? S. CS16 it is!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #52,790 of 63,836

Capture.PNG

Yep, the name, design... and no C20 :frowning2: I may still get it :)

ASX really grow on me in the last days listening to them: gentle but resolving treble, surprisingly tolerant but revealing with moderate quality recordings (as often the case with classical music); just the perceived scoop between a bit too powerful bass and mids is a bit bothering.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #52,791 of 63,836
they are still less ugly than the ASX/ASF :wink:

So, I 've got C16, CA16... Does I really need this ? They look really nice, must resist ! :scream:

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #52,792 of 63,836
Oh no, here we go again. Same shell design with narrow nozzle and weird protrusion too. Don't worry folks, 5 BAs didn't work, 10 BAs certainly didn't make things better, but they've figured out a sweet spot of 8 BAs.

The only hope is that they look to actually have a vent this time for the vented bass unit.

Also, I can just imagine their marketing meeting: C16 and CA16 have been already used, so what comes after A in KZ's BA naming scheme? S. CS16 it is!

They still have more than 20 other letters remaining to get it right :)

P. S. To my tastes, CS16 would win a lame design contest.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #52,793 of 63,836
they are still less ugly than the ASX/ASF :wink:

So, I 've got C16, CA16... Does I really need this ? They look really nice, must resist ! :scream:

Haha, I feel like the more KZs people get, the more cynical they become about KZ :wink: they're best enjoyed in moderation, I think!*

* kinda like fast food. Hmm. KZ, the McDonald's of IEMs?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #52,794 of 63,836

Maybe I'm cynical, but the past few months I feel some CHIFI companies like KZ/CCA and TRN are kinda treating us as beta testers or guinea pigs. They launch sidegrades/marginal upgrades on an almost bimonthly basis and it seems like they are throwing stuff on a wall and hoping something finally sticks. Kinda hit or miss if you will get a turd or gem when you buy a new multi driver KZ/TRN. And worse still if they release a "Pro" version of what you just bought a few weeks later. What you bought from Aliexpress after 2 months of braving the mail in some Atlantic Ocean journey around the world may turn out to be obsolete!

I do hope this CCA CS16 will turn out to be good, but I also honestly wouldn't mind if they take their time to refine and tune and slow down their releases, and go for quality over quantity. I used to buy any new KZ release 2 years ago, kinda like collecting pokemon, but nowadays I'll only wait for reviews first and am scared to do a blind purchase, especially if it is more than $50 USD.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #52,795 of 63,836
Maybe I'm cynical, but the past few months I feel some CHIFI companies like KZ/CCA and TRN are kinda treating us as beta testers or guinea pigs. They launch sidegrades/marginal upgrades on an almost bimonthly basis and it seems like they are throwing stuff on a wall and hoping something finally sticks. Kinda hit or miss if you will get a turd or gem when you buy a new multi driver KZ/TRN. And worse still if they release a "Pro" version of what you just bought a few weeks later. What you bought from Aliexpress after 2 months of braving the mail in some Atlantic Ocean journey around the world may turn out to be obsolete!

I do hope this CCA CS16 will turn out to be good, but I also honestly wouldn't mind if they take their time to refine and tune and slow down their releases, and go for quality over quantity. I used to buy any new KZ release 2 years ago, kinda like collecting pokemon, but nowadays I'll only wait for reviews first and am scared to do a blind purchase, especially if it is more than $50 USD.
I agree and I am selling all my KZ except the EDX.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #52,796 of 63,836

It can definitely feel like a gamble at times with KZ/CCA. My gamble paid off with the ZAX (it's still very enjoyable) and didn't really matter with the cheap woodies (they're good enough to sit in my bag as a permanent backup/spontaneous videoconferencing IEM) but most everything else they've tried to do above the 50 USD mark has unfortunately turned out to be more turkey than phoenix, the C10 Pro represents a backwards step in tuning according to pretty much everybody, and the ZSN and ZST haven't meaningfully changed for the better since 2018 and prior.

I agree that they would be better off taking stock of where they are with their sound and really taking the time to develop something good because they're definitely capable of it.

As an aside, even collecting Pokemon might be more rewarding than collecting KZs since there are like, meaningful differences between Pokemon and stuff

Although I said I'd be picking up the $19 V90S, I was too slow and as a result didn't manage to get one. But I'm not in the least affected by that because...well, I feel like could already picture how it sounds like anyway. $19 not spent here is $19 saved, on one hand to rehabilitate my wallet after this month, on the other hand to have $19 more for the next big AE sale. After all, there will always be a next sale.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #52,797 of 63,836
As an aside, even collecting Pokemon might be more rewarding than collecting KZs since there are like, meaningful differences between Pokemon and stuff
Here we can disagree.
At least you can listen to music with IEMs. Unless, of course, you talk to Pokemons :wink:

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #52,798 of 63,836
Just for a laugh but was just perusing through the Black Friday listing at Penon's website and saw this error...

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 2.11.51 PM.png

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #52,799 of 63,836
Just for a laugh but was just perusing through the Black Friday listing at Penon's website and saw this error...

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 2.11.51 PM.png
Hah! Sweet deal! Hurry and get it!

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #52,800 of 63,836
Here we can disagree.
At least you can listen to music with IEMs. Unless, of course, you talk to Pokemons :wink:

my son collected them, even he's bored already. if it's a real life one though, i would get even one of them flying ones to get around... sure beats car driving :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back