Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #52,756 of 63,963
What do you compare AS06 with?

I now compared AS06 to AS10, BA10, AS12, AS16, C16, ZAX, and ASX - AS06 are the most "V".

ASX are actually quite close to AS06, OK in "less emphasis of the mids", and closer to AS10 and BA10 than to AS16 and ZAX.

I have two all-BAs with ED29689 Knowles, they are a good reference for the mids.

AS06 are beautiful for solo cello to my ears :)

I do have the ZAX as well and think they are a fine set of IEM's, too. Your right, the ZAX are "thicker" in the mids.

Funny, I prefer the ZAX when I am doing other things and listening, and the AS06 when I have my eyes closed and am completely free of all distractions.

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #52,759 of 63,963
Listening with ZS7 just for nostalgia and this is such a good sounding IEM.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #52,760 of 63,963
So i got the "Alien Predator" TWS a few weeks ago.

They are OK sounding after EQ, not much to write home about, but i noticed it's shallow tips give me the best fit i ever got with the ZS6! until now i kept the ZS6 for home use\sitting only as it's shallow nozzles made them fall out of my ears during movement.

I always thought i need big\long tips to compensate for shallow nozzles on the ZS5\ZS6, turns out it's the other way around! might need to buy more shallow TWS ear tips.

I usally use foams, but these are better.

Here's a pic of the TWS tips compared with "regular" tips:
IMG_20201009_153810.jpg

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #52,761 of 63,963
More about ASX, it is really source dependable. Recieved my Btr3k today and in comparison to BTR5 ASX sounds much more brighter and detailed on 3k. Basically ASX is the first IEM I did not like to listen to on Btr5.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #52,762 of 63,963
More about ASX, it is really source dependable. Recieved my Btr3k today and in comparison to BTR5 ASX sounds much more brighter and detailed on 3k. Basically ASX is the first IEM I did not like to listen to on Btr5.
You should try the TRN bt20s pro.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #52,764 of 63,963
Most of the stuff is controversial in this hobby :) Shuoer Tape Pro frequency graph looks even more rolled off on highs compared to ASX, but I bet most of reviews will rave how resolving and detailed and wonderfull it is. That is the thing I have learned in this hobby - only trust my own ears😃

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #52,765 of 63,963
lol those trn adapters are almost as controversial as the Asx. If one of them is a bet, two of them combined are a parlay bet.
What is so controversial about BT20S pro? Rarely hear anything negative about them and a defect in mass product line is a given no matter how good the QC is.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #52,766 of 63,963
What is so controversial about BT20S pro? Rarely hear anything negative about them and a defect in mass product line is a given no matter how good the QC is.

That entire line...some people are complaining about about connection issues or other malfunctions. The pros seem to get less complaints tho.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #52,767 of 63,963
That entire line...some people are complaining about about connection issues or other malfunctions. The pros seem to get less complaints tho.
True, I have all of the them 1x bt20, 2x bt20s and 2 bt20s pro. None of them have any connection issue meaning it will randomly off or shorted when playing, but the only time the connection might be an issue is it sometimes doesn't want to pair up with each other on bt20 and bt20s because they were using older bluetooth chipset and also you need to turn them on/off individually. The bt20 also has build quality issue such as jammed up USB port, the bt20s addressed this issue by making a stronger brace to hold the USB port. The bt20s pro addressed all of the these issues from the first two models. Solid connection, instant on/off when putting/taking into and from the case, awesome battery life (8 hours), no pairing up issue, it register under one name instead of both side having individually registered, the case is pretty nice but quite big.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #52,768 of 63,963

i have 1 BT20, 2 BT20S, and 1 BT20S Pro, fortunately never have any trouble with any of them

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #52,769 of 63,963
True, I have all of the them 1x bt20, 2x bt20s and 2 bt20s pro. None of them have any connection issue meaning it will randomly off or shorted when playing, but the only time the connection might be an issue is it sometimes doesn't want to pair up with each other on bt20 and bt20s because they were using older bluetooth chipset and also you need to turn them on/off individually. The bt20 also has build quality issue such as jammed up USB port, the bt20s addressed this issue by making a stronger brace to hold the USB port. The bt20s pro addressed all of the these issues from the first two models. Solid connection, instant on/off when putting/taking into and from the case, awesome battery life (8 hours), no pairing up issue, it register under one name instead of both side having individually registered, the case is pretty nice but quite big.
I have BT20, 2x BT20S, and BT20S pro - no issues with any of them. 2nd version saw improved connectivity, they also seem to have lowered the gain in later versions of the BT20S (my first set drive much louder than my second.) My only gripe with the first 2 is that initial pairing could be difficult, although they connected easily after this. The new pros are great, swappable ear stems are more comfortable, and they pair super easily under a single device name. 8 hours plus battery plus charging case. Best thing TRN ever did by a wide margin!

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #52,770 of 63,963
I have owned 4 Cowon DAPs over the years and currently got both the Plenue V and Plenue R2 in possession. Plenue R2 is basically one of the most versatile DAPs I have.

More importantly: the balanced output is true balanced and it is one of the very few DAPs under $1000 that did proper justice to the highly inefficient Final E5000 (93dB/mW).

Actually, your post made my day and here is why. The Plenue V and the Plenue R2 both have the Cirrus Logic CS43131 but the R2 has the dual-DAC design. The V has Jet Effects 5 and the R2 has Jet Effects 7. My question to you is that when you volume match the two DAPs and use the single-ended output on the R2 do the two DAPs sound extremely similar or do they sound different.

I'd also like to hear your feedback on Jet Effects 5 vs Jet Effects 7.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

.... but i noticed it's shallow tips give me the best fit i ever got with the ZS6! until now i kept the ZS6 for home use\sitting only as it's shallow nozzles made them fall out of my ears during movement.

I always thought i need big\long tips to compensate for shallow nozzles on the ZS5\ZS6, turns out it's the other way around! might need to buy more shallow TWS ear tips.

I usally use foams, but these are better.

Here's a pic of the TWS tips compared with "regular" tips:

I usually go for the shallow eartips with a wide bore for two reasons.
1) they fit me well and are usually very comfortable.
2) tuning an earphone requires the tuner to factor in both the length and diameter of the nozzle. Using eartips that elongate the sound tube (nozzle + eartip) or eartips that narrow the aperture of the sound tube (nozzle + eartip) further can definitely alter the sound and sometimes to the earphone's detriment.

Pick your brightest sounding in-ears and place a set of shallow eartips with a wide bore on them and listen to just one song that you are very familiar with for about twenty minutes. Review the most notable sections of the song over and over again. I say twenty minutes so that you will become intimately acquainted with the sound. Upon swapping you will undoubtedly hear the difference when you slip on an eartip that was designed with a more elongated collar/shaft and maybe even a more narrow aperture.

For me, everything gets brighter from the upper midrange to the upper treble. That may be suitable for a warmer in-ear (BQ3, C10, CA16, BA10) but an unwelcome alteration to a brighter earphone (ZS6, ZSN Pro, ZS10 Pro, A10), depending on the earphone .

I don't know which manufacturers tune their earphones with the included eartips or which manufacturers just throw in their standard eartips but it's worth noting that the eartip plays a definite part in how the listener perceives the tuning.

It will be interesting to hear your feedback on the difference in the ZS6's presentation given the two eartips in your photo.

That is the thing I have learned in this hobby - only trust my own ears😃

I've enjoyed many an entertaining in-ear that I would have absolutely missed out on due to someone else's opinion. The AS12 is my most recent example. A single YouTube video nearly put me on the fence. I did some research and ordered the first of what would quickly become three sets. Without reservation it is hands down my favorite sub-$100 all-BA in-ear.

And yes, I will order a fourth AS12 so I can remove the filters on the 30012 treble BAs and experiment with a full set of filters to modify treble response. The 30012 has more treble extension than the ubiquitous 30095.

I'm expecting $3 worth of filters/dampers to transform the AS12 from a very, very good set of in-ears to an almost perfect set of in-ears. Great expectations I know but hey, I'm a hobbyist.

2PCS-Balanced-Armature-Damping-Damper-Plugs-filters-Knowles-Acoustic-Dampers-for-Shure-Se215-s...jpg

2PCS-Balanced-Armature-Damping-Damper-Plugs-filters-Knowles-Acoustic-Dampers-for-Shure-Se215-s...jpg

LOL, I hope they fit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back