Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #50,431 of 63,911
20200706_121918-01.jpeg

I'm reeeaally late to the game, but at least now i have some closure on what this all about :darthsmile:

juat like most hybrids (and also most multi BAs), cable braids have effect on the sound. not much, but A/B ing it you would likely notice slight changes.. not much to go running for new cables, but if you already have a couple, try swapping it to see if you like the changes.
I'm using the Lyre cable from my Kanas which has 8 braids compared to the stock cable's 4.

sadly i don't have my ZS10 Pro anymore to do comparison, but from memory, they do have similar sound signature and resolution, but i remembered more wow-ed when i first listened to the ZS10 Pro. probably because it has a more excited treble, leaner low mids, and more subbass rumble, making it more engaging on first listening.

this ZSX is a more softer and pleasant sound compared to ZS10 Pro, while having about the same technical capabilities.

i also like this ZSX fitting more. while the ZS10 Pro still moves a bit if i wiggled it when on my ears, the ZSX have more contact area to my ears, making more stable and more similarl to using CIEMs

next I'm going to test it to play some games, see if it has the same good capabilities as the ZS10 Pro for that

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #50,433 of 63,911
Yeah still wouldn't recommend KZ TWS. Their case often just doesn't charge one of the IEM's, they don't pair sometimes, they have intermittent skip issues where you need to re-pair with the phone again. Meh. They have the sound pretty good, but they really need to focus on seamless BT connectivity & ironing out bugs.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #50,434 of 63,911
Yeah still wouldn't recommend KZ TWS. Their case often just doesn't charge one of the IEM's, they don't pair sometimes, they have intermittent skip issues where you need to re-pair with the phone again. Meh. They have the sound pretty good, but they really need to focus on seamless BT connectivity & ironing out bugs.

I have the KZ S2 and I would not recommend them. The SQ is good but the connectivity is not stellar. Used them with the Hidizs Ap80, Sony NW-A45 and Xiaomi Mi A3 and all three devices have had connection issues that required re-pairing. I had latency issues so bad with the Sony I thought maybe the album I was listening to was corrupted. Nope, just bad BT.

My major gripe though is battery life. Just under 3 hours.

KZ put the USB-C port on the bottom of the case for some stupid reason...

Oh and no volume control.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #50,435 of 63,911
my KZ S2 is horrible at calls - the mic keeps getting dropped, and i have people pinging me on chat telling me that they can't hear me.
This is pretty sad. All the more surprising when the $10 KZ Aptx bluetooth cable has amazingly good sound, and sounds better than a lot of branded headphones
and they are now on sale on ali for much cheaper than I paid on indiegogo - makes me feel stupid for buying from there - never again!

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #50,439 of 63,911

Interesting. Which ones are you talking about exactly?

KZ sold A LOT of earphones over the years,they should have some money for R&D right now.
i wonder why they always struggle with BT while no-name "brands" are doing great in that regard.

I'm also mad at TRN for botching the bt20s tws adapter for 2pin iems. Come on China.

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #50,440 of 63,911
Interesting. Which ones are you talking about exactly?

KZ sold A LOT of earphones over the years,they should have some money for R&D right now.
i wonder why they always struggle with BT while no-name "brands" are doing great in that regard.

I'm also mad at TRN for botching the bt20s tws adapter for 2pin iems. Come on China.
BT audio is hard, even harder when it comes to TWS. I trust no name other than FiiO for ChiFi bluetooth and they even struggled to lower the noise on their last TWS.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #50,441 of 63,911
BT audio is hard, even harder when it comes to TWS. I trust no name other than FiiO for ChiFi bluetooth and they even struggled to lower the noise on their last TWS.

at this moment I'd rather TWSs from those who have done this for years, like QCY, Haylou, MPow, Soundpeats, etc. they may not produce the best sounding, but usually they have better success in balancing the sound and functionality factors.

i do hope companies like KZ and CCA can catch up soon though, because they more or less already got the audio factor right

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #50,443 of 63,911
Anyone knows if AS06 and ZSR use the same BA drivers?

Are the AS06 essentially the same as ZSR, apart from AS06 using 1BA driver to handle the bass instead of a dynamic one?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ZSR uses two 30095 BAs, while the AS06 uses one 31005 and one 29689. I don't think it was ever stated the model of BA used in the ZSR, but at the time they came out, 30095 was all that KZ was using. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #50,445 of 63,911
^Can anyone confirm?

KZ was kind of secretive about the BAs in the ZSR. They never specifically came out and said what they were.

9E415DED-C0CC-4971-82D5-DA7A192CA1F8.jpeg

With that said, I don’t think it uses 2x30095 in the nozzle. Otherwise, it would have the HUGE 10k spike the same as the ZS5 v2 and ZS6 v1 (which DID have 2x30095 in the nozzle).

Here’s the FR graph from KZ for the ZSR (although I don’t know how accurate it is):
326206E3-9241-4FE4-8BAF-C5026B21E557.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back