Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #50,416 of 63,834
Wow, nice to see the ZST got an update! I remember digging the ZST and ZS5v1 a lot some years ago for something more energetic, even though the ZST was a bit too energetic for my taste, the foam mod that someone posted on this thread or somewhere really fixed the uneven peak at the treble.

I'm not a big fan of the pink/blue and green versions but this black seems really classy.
KZ-ZST-X-1BA-1DD-Hybrid-Unit-In-ear-Earphones-HIFI-Bass-Sports-DJ-Earbud-Headset.jpg

I'm def getting one for the nostalgia when they put it back on stock. :)
The ZST X's are supposed to release mid-July, I've got a pair coming - I'll update when they arrive. :)

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #50,418 of 63,834
V0.2 of my ZSX tuning is ready, the bass was just a tad too elevated for my taste. This tames the bass even more than my v0.1 eq without affecting the rumble so you'll still have a satisfying bassline with less stuffiness. Still cant crack the slight oddness in the mids.

32hz : 0db
64hz : -2db
125hz: - 4db
250hz: -2db
500hz: +1db
1khz : +1db
2khz : -2db
4khz : 0db
8khz : +1db
16khz: 0db

After some extended time with the ZSX I've reevaluated my rating of the ZSX
Lows 7 => 7
Mids 9 => 8
Treble 9 => 9

With Eq
Lows 8
Mids 8.5
Treble 9

The scale is based on the best i've ever heard. NO iems ive ever heard get a 10 on everything. This is based on my subjective preferences.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #50,419 of 63,834
V0.2 of my ZSX tuning is ready, the bass was just a tad too elevated for my taste. This tames the bass even more than my v0.1 eq without affecting the rumble so you'll still have a satisfying bassline with less stuffiness. Still cant crack the slight oddness in the mids.

250hz: -2db
500hz: +1db
1khz : +1db
2khz : -2db
8khz : +1db

After some extended time with the ZSX I've reevaluated my rating of the ZSX
Lows 7 => 7
Mids 9 => 8
Treble 9 => 9

With Eq
Lows 8
Mids 8.5
Treble 9

The scale is based on the best i've ever heard. NO iems ive ever heard get a 10 on everything. This is based on my subjective preferences.

Nice! I just got the ZSX - fit is better than expected! - which eq app do you recommend for Android phone?

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #50,420 of 63,834
Nice! I just got the ZSX - fit is better than expected! - which eq app do you recommend for Android phone?
Poweramp has a very nice looking UI and easy EQ.

Neutron player is my favorite for sound quality and also best EQ (it is advanced though) but the UI is pretty bad.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #50,421 of 63,834
Hiby music works fine. Enjoy your ZSX :D

Poweramp has a very nice looking UI and easy EQ.

Neutron player is my favorite for sound quality and also best EQ (it is advanced though) but the UI is pretty bad.
I've never tried neutron player. I currently use UAPP which also enhances the sound quality compared to other apps. Most notably the bass goes deeper and is tighter, the treble is also subtly crispier.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #50,422 of 63,834
I've never tried neutron player. I currently use UAPP which also enhances the sound quality compared to other apps. Most notably the bass goes deeper and is tighter, the treble is also subtly crispier.
The difference with UAPP/neutron with all other music players is that it does NOT make it better but it uses the entire potential of the dac/amp in the phone. Normal music players are limited by the Android OS but UAPP/Neutron simply bypasses that. That is why these players sound better than the rest, and more so if you have a better than average dac/amp like the LG series. For Daps I would believe that their "stock" music players are also fully able to utilize their potential and also bypass the Android OS.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #50,423 of 63,834
The difference with UAPP/neutron with all other music players is that it does NOT make it better but it uses the entire potential of the dac/amp in the phone. Normal music players are limited by the Android OS but UAPP/Neutron simply bypasses that. That is why these players sound better than the rest, and more so if you have a better than average dac/amp like the LG series. For Daps I would believe that their "stock" music players are also fully able to utilize their potential and also bypass the Android OS.
I believe the way the app processes the sound also matters. UAPP has consistently provided a tighter bass and crisper treble in all devices I've tried it on. Be it my note 8/9, Cayin N5ii or DX160 compared to their stock player/regular app.

Heck UAPP was never optimised for the N5ii and just runs on generic android mode.

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #50,424 of 63,834
Fwiw I've got the **** F05 and they're nothing special. They're bassy, warm, smooth and with slightly recessed mids. Unfortunately they lack clarity and sparkle and makes a pretty unengaging and dull listening experience. If you're looking for something with a similar signature I'd suggest the YINJW DIY IE800, they share the same overall signature but has much better clarity and details.

I'd put them on pair with the ED9 in overall perforamance, just a very different signature so it really depends on what you're looking for.

How Do They Sound Compared To Senfer4in1 N SenferPT15 ????...N Why The Name Of The BrandSenfer Is Being Censured If Typed Alone ???...Thats Very Strange...🤣🤣🤣...I LOVE OverBright N Clean Signatures But Neither Of These Senfers Are Bright As I Espected,They Are More Tô The Neutral Side As My SenferPT15 Is The 2017/18 Version But I Still Love The Detailed Range,Is The SenferF05 Acctually More Bright N Detailed Than Those Other Models ???...I Know They Kinda Rare To Find Now These Days Trhough.

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #50,425 of 63,834
how do the ZS4/ZS3e compare with the ZS3? while i have better sounding buds, i have fallen in love with the fit of the ZS3 - it feels like what i imagine a custom would feel like.
It sounds great too. There isnt much to complain - But a little more resolution and sub bass wouldn't hurt. Have read the ZS4 are too harsh (I can't stand harsh) and the ZS3E are somewhere in between - are any of these worth a try? or should i stick to the ZS3?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #50,426 of 63,834
To update an earlier post re: fit - I finally got a good seal on these with XL single flange silicone tips I got on Amazon.

Over all the years of using IEMs, I never realized that I'm an XL. To get a seal, I've always used the largest supplied tips, turned IEMs upside down and cable-up, then wedged them deep in my ears where the canal narrows. That wasn't possible with the ZSX, hence why I couldn't get them to seal.

Boy are these great with electronic music. They're pretty much exactly what I was looking for to listen to that genre. The sub bass goes deep without intruding on the other frequencies, creating a deep clean bassline that's separate from the other elements the music. They bring out all the textures and micro details too. I was just listening to Ruby My Dear and had an eargasm.

My only complaint is that they tend to make lower-fidelity recordings sound thin and harsh. I listen to a ton of 80s and 90s hardcore punk stuff that was recorded on a shoestring budget, and it sounds grating on these but great on my Zero Audio Carbo Tenores and Sennheiser 595s.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #50,427 of 63,834
To update an earlier post re: fit - I finally got a good seal on these with XL single flange silicone tips I got on Amazon.

Over all the years of using IEMs, I never realized that I'm an XL. To get a seal, I've always used the largest supplied tips, turned IEMs upside down and cable-up, then wedged them deep in my ears where the canal narrows. That wasn't possible with the ZSX, hence why I couldn't get them to seal.

Boy are these great with electronic music. They're pretty much exactly what I was looking for to listen to that genre. The sub bass goes deep without intruding on the other frequencies, creating a deep clean bassline that's separate from the other elements the music. They bring out all the textures and micro details too. I was just listening to Ruby My Dear and had an eargasm.

My only complaint is that they tend to make lower-fidelity recordings sound thin and harsh. I listen to a ton of 80s and 90s hardcore punk stuff that was recorded on a shoestring budget, and it sounds grating on these but great on my Zero Audio Carbo Tenores and Sennheiser 595s.
Yes, the tuning of the ZSX is on the thinner and dryer side so it doesn't smooth over poorly recorded tracks like warmer and darker iems do.

I have a 595 myself so I think I might be able to cook up a tuning for the ZSX that's closer to the 595 but also the detail of the ZSX.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #50,428 of 63,834
Yes, the tuning of the ZSX is on the thinner and dryer side so it doesn't smooth over poorly recorded tracks like warmer and darker iems do.

I have a 595 myself so I think I might be able to cook up a tuning for the ZSX that's closer to the 595 but also the detail of the ZSX.
Put this together in about 10 mins listening to 50-60s music. It would help if you could name any specific songs you said are poorly recorded. @moleface

250hz: +5db
500hz: +5db
1khz : +5db
2khz : 0db
4khz : -3db
8khz : -6db
16khz: -3db

This a warm tuning for those who want to try it. Personally I don't like this kind of sound.

Bonus: for those who want more body but not the warmth

250hz: +3db
500hz: +5db
1khz : +5db
2khz : 0db
8khz : 0db

As always any feedback is appreciated

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #50,430 of 63,834
your tune are very aggressive. on es100 i tune single frequency 0.6 db max. you guys tune 6db
Its a rough tune. A 1db tune is unnoticeable to most people.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back