Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 23, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #50,281 of 64,165
This might sound dumb, but are you sure you have the R and L earpiece in the correct ear?

Ive had KZs printed incorrect on the shell, and you said even with dual flange they don’t even fit deep enough which is highly unusual. If you have the R and L earpieces swapped, the nozzles will point at the wrong angle and will cause a really poor fit.

Just an idea...

Nah, it doesn't sound dumb - after all, this is ChiFi.

I just checked, and they're printed correctly.

This is such a weird problem, and extremely disappointing after I spent two months excitedly watching my mailbox.

My ZST Pros fit fine, and the main difference is that they don't have that "hump" opposite the nozzle. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Some aspect of their design is preventing deeper insertion.

I have my first pair of Spinfits arriving tomorrow. Hopefully that helps.

Or maybe I require XL silicon tips and never realized. I usually need to insert large tips in extremely deeply to get a seal. Maybe even larger tips would allow a seal at shallower insertion depth.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #50,282 of 64,165
I don't have the ZSX, but in general, if u can hear the bass frequencies well and the IEM doesn't wobble or drop out if you walk about/turn your head, the fit should be okay.

The feeling of "air tightness" is quite dependent on what tips you use and the individual's ear anatomy, so it is quite hard to say whether u will have this experience. Depth of eartip insertion does affect comfort and even sound signature to some extent, so do explore with various size ear tips, various depths of insertion and even different tips (eg silicone, foam). Is this the first over ear IEM u are using?

No, it's my second. I also have a pair of KZ ZSTs, which fit just fine. I think my ears just don't like the ZSXs housing design. Something about it prevents me from inserting them as deeply as I'd like.

The bass is there but sounds slightly "distant". I played an audio seal test, and bass sounds maybe 20% quieter than it should.

I'm wondering if maybe I just got used to an insertion depth that isn't possible with larger IEM housing. Like I said, typically I use straight barrel designs that more or less disappear into my ear.

It could be that for a shallower seal, I require even larger tips than I realized. I always use the large tips, and getting a seal from them always entails wedging the IEMs in extremely deep. Maybe I have huge freak ear canals and never realized.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #50,283 of 64,165
Nah, it doesn't sound dumb - after all, this is ChiFi.

I just checked, and they're printed correctly.

This is such a weird problem, and extremely disappointing after I spent two months excitedly watching my mailbox.

My ZST Pros fit fine, and the main difference is that they don't have that "hump" opposite the nozzle. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Some aspect of their design is preventing deeper insertion.

I have my first pair of Spinfits arriving tomorrow. Hopefully that helps.

Or maybe I require XL silicon tips and never realized. I usually need to insert large tips in extremely deeply to get a seal. Maybe even larger tips would allow a seal at shallower insertion depth.
XL (or one size larger) tips may help. Some Ls are larger (13.5-14 mm), for instance Spiral dots.

Such shallow large tips work very well for me - Blon BL-03 was easy :)

Also ZSX worked out nicely for me with larger tips (better in fit and seal than C12), which really surprised me.

So hopefully this strategy may have a very good chance to work for you.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #50,284 of 64,165
Are there any sub 25$ TWS IEMS which sound as good as the ZSR or ZS6? i'm talking about earphones capable of doing good bass while not burning my ears with honky mids in the 1K-5K Mids range\ Earphones capable of doing guitars and violins smoothly.

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #50,285 of 64,165
It could be that for a shallower seal, I require even larger tips than I realized. I always use the large tips, and getting a seal from them always entails wedging the IEMs in extremely deep. Maybe I have huge freak ear canals and never realized.
Try cleaning the silicone tips and dampen the ear canals before inserting. That may, sometimes, be enough to get the silicone "sticking" to the ear walls. Also, larger ear tips can get soft towards the outer edge - at least for the ones that I get from China.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #50,287 of 64,165
Jun 23, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #50,288 of 64,165
Try cleaning the silicone tips and dampen the ear canals before inserting. That may, sometimes, be enough to get the silicone "sticking" to the ear walls. Also, larger ear tips can get soft towards the outer edge - at least for the ones that I get from China.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I tried that and it helps, though I'm still not getting the usual "pop" and decrease in pressure when I take them out.

Come to think of it, I always wear my IEMs cord-up because cord-down usually prevents me from getting a seal. I suspect that I've been an XL tip size all along and never realized it. I've just been compensating by inserting all my IEMs deeper where my ear canal narrows.

Last night, I was also listening to some bass-heavy electronic music and experimenting with my equalizer to give the bass more presence. Shockingly, a 2db increase at 32hz and 1.5 on 60hz produced loud crackling on the right channel on a track with deep thumping bass.

If it's a QC issue, these came from China and I can't do anything about it. Stock bass is fine - it just feels kinda recessed because of the weak seal.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #50,289 of 64,165
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I tried that and it helps, though I'm still not getting the usual "pop" and decrease in pressure when I take them out.

Come to think of it, I always wear my IEMs cord-up because cord-down usually prevents me from getting a seal. I suspect that I've been an XL tip size all along and never realized it. I've just been compensating by inserting all my IEMs deeper where my ear canal narrows.
These are the ones I used on the Blon. Significantly larger than any tips I have ever used, and holds its shape well in use. I don't need to push them in all the way. Got them months ago; tried looking for the seller link but lost track of it, sorry. @Slater may have recommended these to me. They came in a pack with several sizes.

Makes you wonder how humans with small ear canals can hear anything at all! :)

Big ear tips.jpg

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #50,290 of 64,165
KZ apparently has released a new version of the ZST called the KZ ZST X.

$16 USD
On multiple stores on aliexpress now.
They claim the voice is shocking in expression? Does that mean harsh treble/upper mids LOL?

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

"ZSTx 1BA+1DD hybrid earphones, it is an upgraded version of ZST.
Using the KZ latest dynamic drive "XUN" unit,professional-grade balanced armature, the sound transmission is clearer and fuller.
Break through the previous KZ style, upgrade the cable, and match the silver-plated cable to transmit sound more perfectly.
The appearance has been adjusted to show different styles.
Transparent cyan and purple, continue the classic purple, create transparent cyan, bring you a visual feast."

1 BA + 1 DD
Impedance: 12Ω
Earphone sensitivity: 107dB/mW
Frequency range: 20-40000Hz
Pin Type: 0.75mm

So after months of radio silence for wired gear, wired KZs are coming out of the woodwork. Anyone wanna try the "shocking" sound?

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #50,291 of 64,165

$16 USD
They claim the voice is shocking in expression? Does that mean harsh treble/upper mids LOL?

"ZSTx 1BA+1DD hybrid earphones, it is an upgraded version of ZST.
Using the KZ latest dynamic drive "XUN" unit,professional-grade balanced armature, the sound transmission is clearer and fuller.
Break through the previous KZ style, upgrade the cable, and match the silver-plated cable to transmit sound more perfectly.
The appearance has been adjusted to show different styles.
Transparent cyan and purple, continue the classic purple, create transparent cyan, bring you a visual feast."

1 BA + 1 DD
Impedance: 12Ω
Earphone sensitivity: 107dB/mW
Frequency range: 20-40000Hz
Pin Type: 0.75mm

So after months of radio silence for wired gear, wired KZs are coming out of the woodwork. Anyone wanna try the "shocking" sound?

Wow finally they are implemented the new DD XUN that have been used on Z1.
That driver really gives moving air, literally. Just hoping they dont tuned the same way as Z1, its too V shaped with recessed mids, but marketing FR is the same with Z1. For Z1 with EQ fron Wavelet app sounded great now, im enjoying the air massage from the XUN turbo charger shocking sound. But im not happy with default tuning. Think of harsher TFZ no 3 with more prominent upper mids, especially 5-6khz peaks followed by 8khz extra boost.

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #50,292 of 64,165

$16 USD
...and I just ordered the ZSX!
I hope the KZ ZST X doesn't have massive bass like the ZSX, otherwise I might have made a mistake.
:FACEPALM:

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #50,293 of 64,165
Wow finally they are implemented the new DD XUN that have been used on Z1.
That driver really gives moving air, literally. Just hoping they dont tuned the same way as Z1, its too V shaped with recessed mids, but marketing FR is the same with Z1. For Z1 with EQ fron Wavelet app sounded great now, im enjoying the air massage from the XUN turbo charger shocking sound. But im not happy with default tuning. Think of harsher TFZ no 3 with more prominent upper mids, especially 5-6khz peaks followed by 8khz extra boost.

Ya if their graph is legit, this ZST X looks quite basshead haha. I know what u mean about the TFZ No. 3, I found the upper mids quite harsh on it with female predominant vocals/horns/trumpets, and I think that's the limit for me (unless u do micropore mod or pair with warm sources).

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #50,294 of 64,165
Ya if their graph is legit, this ZST X looks quite basshead haha. I know what u mean about the TFZ No. 3, I found the upper mids quite harsh on it with female predominant vocals/horns/trumpets, and I think that's the limit for me (unless u do micropore mod or pair with warm sources).

And the default tuning of Z1 is more v shaped than no3, with more prominent upper mids!

Lucky the wavelet app is great for TWS, it recognizes the TWS set and save the EQ data individually according to your TWS set.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #50,295 of 64,165
Hi,
Need some user feedback on these KZ 2.5mm TRRS L-angle plug with 0.75mm ends balanced cable.
Click here for Aliexpress page.
Doesn't need to have terrific performance as long as it doesn't mess up/change the sound too much.
This was the only L-angle 2.5mm plug I could find for below US$20.
Any other recommendation that fits the bill would be appreciated.
TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back