Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 30, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #50,131 of 64,017
Hello, i have some KZ:

ATE, ED9, ZST, ZS3, ED12, ED3...

I like the bass, middle part of the ATE, and the medium high part of the ED9 ( vocals seems too nasal/old telephone sound for me, but they have a high sensitivity and they can manage a good amount of power...)

Is there a model that combine those characteristics?

Maybe with a little more bass, but for me is more important the overall sound quality and how they can handle the power...

Thank you!
Depends on how much you can afford to spend. The models you mentioned aren't too expensive. If you can stretch your budget to the $ 40-50 range, I highly rec the ZS10 PRO.

May 30, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #50,132 of 64,017
Depends on how much you can afford to spend. The models you mentioned aren't too expensive. If you can stretch your budget to the $ 40-50 range, I highly rec the ZS10 PRO.

I can spend until 100 Euros... :)

However, i think i've used the 01ED9 very few hours, because i'm noticing more bass coming out now....

May 30, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #50,133 of 64,017
I can spend until 100 Euros... :)

However, i think i've used the 01ED9 very few hours, because i'm noticing more bass coming out now....
Could be a break in thing. Not too familiar with ED9, but if I'm not mistaken, that set uses a dynamic driver? Maybe @Slater can confirm? Either way, based on what you are looking for in a sound signature, I really do rec the ZS10 PRO. Great bass, clear mids, and a bit of a tipped up treble. A really fun set!

May 30, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #50,135 of 64,017
I really don't know, but the KZ ATE are more powerful on the bass, although all the review said that the ED9 have stronger bass...:triportsad:

But it doesn't matter, i'm purchasing the ZS10 Pro, thank you! :wink:
Congrats! The ZS10 PRO is a great set! Also remember that it responds well to EQ. Just a few db can make it a spectacular iem. Hope you love yours as much as I do mine.

May 30, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #50,137 of 64,017
I just got the KZ S2. Bass is good, but the treble is still too piercing. the ZS7 is the only one that manages to sound ok.
Does anyone know where i can get more of the hybrid tips they offered with the S2 on indiegogo? they feel good, but can't find them for sale anywhere else

May 30, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #50,138 of 64,017
I just got the KZ S2. Bass is good, but the treble is still too piercing. the ZS7 is the only one that manages to sound ok.
Does anyone know where i can get more of the hybrid tips they offered with the S2 on indiegogo? they feel good, but can't find them for sale anywhere else
Its the same eartips with Z1.. Currently they dont sell them separately unfortunately.

May 30, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #50,139 of 64,017
So, yesterday i just received my dream IEM the Z1R !!
20200531_075410~2.jpg

Sadly its not the Sony IER Z1R and it comes with Z1L as well..

Lol, joke aside, my KZ Z1 is arrived and to my surprised, they looks and feel better than what I was expecting. Build quality while made by plastic but they are solid and doesn't look like a cheapo pair. And the black color is really elegant, better than the green in my opinion.

The outer charging case
20200531_075548~2.jpg

Inside look
20200531_075102~2.jpg

IEM units
20200531_075240~2.jpg

20200531_081510~2.jpg

Mini review / impressions will be posted here later but my first impressions out of the box, they are a serious TWS sound, that can be compete with wired KZs, the 10mm DD isnt a joke, they have serious bass with very decent depth and impact that rarely found in other TWS (that usually use 6mm DD). Their bass is big , on borderline for bassheads but serious bassheads may want a little bit more. Midranges a bit further to me, and a bit on thin side on upper mids, upper mids have little harshness but much better than most KZs, this is more towards zs10 pro tuning than ZSX with more brighter upper mids and highs. Trebles is extended but on safe range.
Soundstage is wide, with very good imaging and separation especially when coming from single DD. Detail retrieval is good, average good, not their strength point.

More detailed impressions later. But this is a good buy for TWS for me, all about sound quality. But still I cant recommend them as decent TWS device, because the trade off for big driver is that they suck out more power so max batt life is 2.5 hours per single charge. And micro USB in 2020.

Will try to burn in (at least for a while, i cant use app, and batt limitation is a hassle)
But for sure im gonna put on micropore tape to make them smoother in upper mids.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #50,140 of 64,017
the trade off for big driver is that they suck out more power so max batt life is 2.5 hours per single charge.

that shouldn't be an excuse for KZ.. i have several chifi TWS with 10mm drivers (even ones with ANC) and all of them can pass 6-7 hours mark easily. i hope KZ would improve on this aspect

May 31, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #50,142 of 64,017
In case you guys didnt know yet, Crinacle's graph comparison tool is great for comparing and finding upgrade paths and/or cheaper alternatives to iems you like.

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/

I found out that the iems i like (IER-Z1R, Jomo Flamenco, etc) are all very close to Crinacle's ideal tuning. And playing around with the graph i found out that the JVC FDX1 is very close to Crinacle's (and consequently mine) ideal tuning and is a lot cheaper than the Fearless Dawn which Crinacle tuned to his ideal.

So i bought it, not one week after i bought the ZSX

Maybe i was right to take a hiatus.

May 31, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #50,143 of 64,017
Do your Z1R and Z1L produce hissing noise (or high noise floor) when not playing audio?

They also just release the CCA CA16 with the form factor quite similar to the Z1RL at $60 for 16 drivers T__T

Sadly yes, was going to mention that but i forgot. Hissing is very noticeable on quiet tracks or when music ends. Like the TRN BT20S.
I think that is the side effect of boosting gain to get very loud volume level. And yes my Z1R and Z1L is very loudd on volume. My Haylou GT1 Plus cant satisfy me at 100% volume. But on Z1, they reach louder volume at around 65%. And i cant take more past 85%. 70-80% on Z1 is my comfort volume level and i like loud volume

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #50,144 of 64,017
So, yesterday i just received my dream IEM the Z1R !!

Sadly its not the Sony IER Z1R and it comes with Z1L as well..

Lol, joke aside, my KZ Z1 is arrived and to my surprised, they looks and feel better than what I was expecting. Build quality while made by plastic but they are solid and doesn't look like a cheapo pair. And the black color is really elegant, better than the green in my opinion.

The outer charging case

Inside look

IEM units

Mini review / impressions will be posted here later but my first impressions out of the box, they are a serious TWS sound, that can be compete with wired KZs, the 10mm DD isnt a joke, they have serious bass with very decent depth and impact that rarely found in other TWS (that usually use 6mm DD). Their bass is linear with no mid bass hump, not for serious bassheads, its more quality than quantity. Midranges a bit further to me, and on thin side, upper mids have little harshness but much better than most KZs, this is more towards zs10 pro tuming than ZSX with more brighter upper mids and highs. Trebles is extended but on safe range.
Soundstage medium wide, with very good imaging and separation especially when coming from single DD. Detail retrieval is good, average good, not their strength point.

More detailed impressions later. But this is a good buy for TWS for me, all about sound quality. But still I cant recommend them as decent TWS device, because the trade off for big driver is that they suck out more power so max batt life is 2.5 hours per single charge. And micro USB in 2020.

Will try to burn in (at least for a while, i cant use app, and batt limitation is a hassle)
But for sure im gonna put on micropore tape to make them smoother in upper mids.

My1more ANC with Dual Hybrid Drivers can last around 5 hours with ANC on. Not to mention Nuarl N6 Pro which has excellent sound quality can last around 10 hours or so. KZ really need to upped their battery life game in TWS because their newest model can only do 3 hours. This is 2020, if they came out in 2017 then it is understandable, but right now the standard is 5 hours+ minimum. What I think KZ is doing is that, they are in the testing phase right now where they just release a bunch of TWS.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #50,145 of 64,017
My1more ANC with Dual Hybrid Drivers can last around 5 hours with ANC on. Not to mention Nuarl N6 Pro which has excellent sound quality can last around 10 hours or so. KZ really need to upped their battery life game in TWS because their newest model can only do 3 hours. This is 2020, if they came out in 2017 then it is understandable, but right now the standard is 5 hours+ minimum. What I think KZ is doing is that, they are in the testing phase right now where they just release a bunch of TWS.

Yeah thats what im thinking too, for TWS standard they need to up their batt life of course. But this latest TWS Z1 really have something with their 10mm drivers. They got impact, texture, depth and rumble with very decent speed. Think of zs10 pro / zsx bass but with more quantity and impact, i think the DD on Z1 is slightly better than DD in their hybrids.
Gonna write my impressions later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back