Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #49,816 of 63,860
I have both. I'm happy with ZS10 Pro. It has great comfort for my particular ear, almost like it was custom made just for me. The sound is fun, enjoyable, and non-fatiguing. However, after hearing a lot about the upgrade to C12, I gave it a try. To me, the fit wasn't as good, and I couldn't hear a discernible difference. The yellow does look nice, but so does the crazy zigzag of the KZ. There are those who will say the timbre of the ZS10 Pros are "off" on certain instruments in certain frequency ranges. The word is "steely" - and it has been repeated so often and persistently that there is now a (imho unfair) kneejerk association between ZS10 Pro and this word. To my ears, I don't hear problems with timbre. Maybe it's the genre of music I listen to. Maybe I have the ears of a 90-year-old former boxer. I've given away a C12, but still have two ZS10 Pros. So, if you're happy with ZS10 Pro, if you have a great fit with it, in my humble opinion -- which is imperfect, fallible and something you should definitely not follow -- you're really not missing out on the C12.
I agree. The ZS10 Pro and the ZS7 are both more fun than the C12 for me as well. I just enjoy my music on them more.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #49,817 of 63,860
Both the C12 and ZSX are an upgrade from ZS10 Pro imho. Since I am still quarantining myself, I only have C12 with me right now so I can't do comparison. And it has been quite some time ago I listened to ZS10 Pro so I kind of forgot the sound.

I do not see much on the CCA C16 on these forums. Any comparisons between the C16 and ZSX? I own the , ZS10, ZS10PRO and C16 and use all 3. My actual preference right now is probably the Blon BL03, but I like the C16 a lot as well. I listen to a mix of classical, progressive rock, pop, indie, etc. A lot of stuff like M83 and Imagine Dragons lately.

Oh, my Urbanfun ISSO14's are apparently ready to be picked up, although we are under lockdown right now. So...

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #49,818 of 63,860
Regarding the CCA C12 and ZS10 Pro comparisons, I remember them sounding a lot more alike than not. Differences between the two were pretty slight IMHO. Right now, I'm also in community quarantine away from where my main collection is located and only have a few IEMs with me (C12, ZS7, BL03, Tin P1 and Etymotic ER3SE). I only have two different kinds of tips, small generic foams from Amazon (Riko? Ryko) and small Auvio tips with DIY 3M earplug foam inserts a la Symbio. The Auvio tips with foam inserts help to tame that mid treble glare with the C12 but do increase the mid-bass response a bit which I don't mind. With this setup, I prefer the C12 over the ZS7 for general listening. But if I'm in the mood for bass, then the ZS7 it is.

Attachments

• 20200422_050327-01.jpeg
    20200422_050327-01.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #49,821 of 63,860
I have both. I'm happy with ZS10 Pro. It has great comfort for my particular ear, almost like it was custom made just for me. The sound is fun, enjoyable, and non-fatiguing. However, after hearing a lot about the upgrade to C12, I gave it a try. To me, the fit wasn't as good, and I couldn't hear a discernible difference. The yellow does look nice, but so does the crazy zigzag of the KZ. There are those who will say the timbre of the ZS10 Pros are "off" on certain instruments in certain frequency ranges. The word is "steely" - and it has been repeated so often and persistently that there is now a (imho unfair) kneejerk association between ZS10 Pro and this word. To my ears, I don't hear problems with timbre. Maybe it's the genre of music I listen to. Maybe I have the ears of a 90-year-old former boxer. I've given away a C12, but still have two ZS10 Pros. So, if you're happy with ZS10 Pro, if you have a great fit with it, in my humble opinion -- which is imperfect, fallible and something you should definitely not follow -- you're really not missing out on the C12.
Yes, +1! I don't hear the "steeliness" many others have mentioned either. These are my most often picked up set of all I currently own. Only the TFZ NO.3 is a close second, but only if I want a warmer, more brain rattling bass. For most of the music I listen to, the ZS10 PRO is my go to and what I instinctively reach for. Honestly, I gotta force myself to break out my other iems from time to time. I've got others that are maybe technically better, but when it just comes down to pure enjoyment of the music, the ZS10 PRO are my favorite. Also, QC seems pretty good. I've had mine for just a bit over a year now, and they still sound excellent. No driver or connector fails. I think that says alot. The ZS10 PRO gets my highest rec out of everything I currently own.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #49,822 of 63,860
KZ S2 TWS Review - They FIXED the BT!

They FIXED the BT!
:point_up_2:

looks like they are perfecting their TWS line :pray:

Well after the KZ ZSX, bluetooth gear was all they were producing, and it seems the first few BT releases had issues, so glad they fixed it finally. Especially since it seems KZ are gonna put their eggs in the BT basket.3

I do wished they built on the success of the KZX though and release improved hybrids. Or even go back to producing DD sets.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #49,823 of 63,860
Now if they can manage to make KZ ZSX in TWS platform... One can only hope

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #49,824 of 63,860
Now if they manage to make KZ ZSX in TWS platform... One can only hope

Yes that will be a good aim for KZ. But currently I find the TWS limiting factor is the BT tech or battery lifespan.

I think for now, it may be a better option to upgrade the BT dongle/adaptor and to keep the ZSX or whatever IEM u have to preserve the good sound that this IEM can give. IE get some bluetooth dongle/adaptor like TRN BT20/20S so even if the BT tech/battery goes, the BT component can be replaced.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #49,825 of 63,860
Yes that will be a good aim for KZ. But currently I find the TWS limiting factor is the BT tech or battery lifespan.

I think for now, it may be a better option to upgrade the BT dongle/adaptor and to keep the ZSX or whatever IEM u have to preserve the good sound that this IEM can give. IE get some bluetooth dongle/adaptor like TRN BT20/20S so even if the BT tech/battery goes, the BT component can be replaced.
Well some tws have 10+ hours battery life on a single charge. 6-8 hours seems good enough and with addition of case charging, battery life is not an issue anymore imho. Now regarding BT, AptX and AAC codec are pretty good right now and if you mainly use TWS for portable use, those codec is good enough imho.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #49,826 of 63,860
I dont mind a 3-4 hours batt life with ZSX sound quality, that will beat every single TWS out there. I know one day we will have TWS tech that sounded like decent wired ones.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #49,827 of 63,860
I dont mind a 3-4 hours batt life with ZSX sound quality, that will beat every single TWS out there. I know one day we will have TWS tech that sounded like decent wired ones.
I just got Nuarl N6 pro and I am impressed. Sound signature is pretty similar to C12. It is only a single DD so instrument separation maybe not as good as multi BA + DD combo. With battery life using AptX at around 8-10 hours in a single charge, tho it doesn't have any other bell and whistle like ANC and ambiance mode. $162 on Amazon USA.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #49,828 of 63,860
I just got Nuarl N6 pro and I am impressed. Sound signature is pretty similar to C12. It is only a single DD so instrument separation maybe not as good as multi BA + DD combo. With battery life using AptX at around 8-10 hours in a single charge, tho it doesn't have any other bell and whistle like ANC and ambiance mode. $162 on Amazon USA.

yeah, im looking for a complete package TWS that have great technicalities, so separation, soundstage and imaging on another level of current available TWS. I dont ask for mid-fi quality sonics, just decent budget like ZSX will be great in TWS form. Hopefully KZ will be there soon (the latest S2 seems jump backward to their infamous high mids peak)

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #49,829 of 63,860
yeah, im looking for a complete package TWS that have great technicalities, so separation, soundstage and imaging on another level of current available TWS. I dont ask for mid-fi quality sonics, just decent budget like ZSX will be great in TWS form. Hopefully KZ will be there soon (the latest S2 seems jump backward to their infamous high mids peak)

Haha once u hear the good stuff, we can't unhear them. So far I've not been satisfied with TWS gear cause of this. I know they are convenient, but I rather bring a wired connection around for the better sound.

But I think a good compromise is to use the nice IEMs with a BT dongle/adaptor like the TRN BT20/20S.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #49,830 of 63,860
When I said it probably doesn't have instrument separation like multi BA iem, doesn't mean it suck at separation. It01 has single driver, but instrument separation is good. This Nuarl N6 pro has the best timbre out of my tws so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back