Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 9, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #49,681 of 63,914

All done with my review. Basically said what I wanted to in my previous post already about the sound, and the video just touches more on other aspects like design, low latency mode, etc. There are now a handful of other reviews out there too. Now to see when the next KZ Z1 will be out. lol.

Thanks, this was a superb review. Covered all the non-sound bits very extremely well and your sound impressions of it are pretty close to mine. Perfect length video, well made and executed, non-hyperbolic. Great stuff.

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #49,684 of 63,914
I like wireless over-ear headphones, but I don't like wireless IEMs, so you're not alone.
I hope KZ isn't done with regular IEMs.

Apr 9, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #49,685 of 63,914
Maybe there should be a KZ wireless thread (or just post in the wireless thread) because I can't possibly be the only one that doesn't care at all about wireless IEM's, just sayin'.

Seeing how that’s all that KZ has been making lately, this may become the KZ wireless thread regardless. I sure hope they come out with some new wired models...

Apr 10, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #49,688 of 63,914
BA10 vs. ZS10Pro?
BA10 again. ZS10 Pro is a great entertaining V shaped IEM. It has a full-on sound which makes music exciting. It is not truly accurate, though and has occasional metallic timbre in the treble. BA10 is much better balanced with excellent timbre across the frequency range. It has superb soundstage, imaging and separation and layering is top class (this is via balanced out of Xduoo X20 with SPC cable and, of course, my ears and musical preferences!)

Apr 10, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #49,689 of 63,914
BA10 again. ZS10 Pro is a great entertaining V shaped IEM. It has a full-on sound which makes music exciting. It is not truly accurate, though and has occasional metallic timbre in the treble. BA10 is much better balanced with excellent timbre across the frequency range. It has superb soundstage, imaging and separation and layering is top class (this is via balanced out of Xduoo X20 with SPC cable and, of course, my ears and musical preferences!)
The ZS10 Pro doesn't have metallic timbre, at all. People like to say it does, they're wrong.
People have different hearing and all, sure. People use different tips and all, sure. But to call the ZS 10 Pro "metallic" in terms of treble is incorrect.

Apr 10, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #49,690 of 63,914
The ZS10 Pro doesn't have metallic timbre, at all. People like to say it does, they're wrong.
People have different hearing and all, sure. People use different tips and all, sure. But to call the ZS 10 Pro "metallic" in terms of treble is incorrect.
Perhaps "metallic" is not the correct term. To my ears there is an emphasis in the upper mids and lower treble which occasionally produces an "edgy" quality but it is not a huge problem, but does affect the timbre of that region. However, the ZS10 Pro is still one of my favourite KZ models, along with ZSX and ED9.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #49,692 of 63,914
Perhaps "metallic" is not the correct term. To my ears there is an emphasis in the upper mids and lower treble which occasionally produces an "edgy" quality but it is not a huge problem, but does affect the timbre of that region. However, the ZS10 Pro is still one of my favourite KZ models, along with ZSX and ED9.
To me the term "metallic" is a right one, only for me it does not have much negative connotation, rather positive one.

A good direct analogy is, perhaps, steel and synthetic strings on guitars (and violins). Steel strings do sound more edgy and rich, having more overtones (less dampening).

A similar situation is with BAs - less dampened ones (e.g. Bellsing vs. Knowles) sound rich and a bit edgy.

To my ears, KZ IEMs definitely do a very good job in reproducing the violin sound (the real one, which is edgy and rich). Some problem that many prefer the dampened sound, and "steely" is outside of their comfort zone (that I can relate perfectly, ~5-6 years ago I could not stand live violin sound close).
There was a nice post about related points few weeks ago in this thread, to which I meant to reply.

Coupled with a V-shape, the rich and edgy make ZS10 pro a great choice for fun listening, especially for electronic music.

Apr 10, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #49,695 of 63,914
does anyone here know how to get rid of that white noise on kz zsn pro?
would the bluetooth 5.0 adapter solve the problem?
i'm using it with the original cable with mic on a galaxy s8.

That's likely the Galaxy S8's 3.5mm jack having a high noise floor for the sensitive BA's in the ZSN Pro. Get a $10 Apple dongle and use that instead. A BT adapter likely won't fix your issue as adapters will probably have noise issues of their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back